Menu

Most beautiful cursive to learn, in your opinion?

Halcyon

Halcyon, you had asked about beautiful cursive. I had given you a link earlier and I was just looking at the samples again, a little closer this time. There is a really pretty one by Weaver called Penmanship to Praise Italic. Scroll down the link til you come to the sample on bright green background. It even has a very similar cool-lookin X like that fancy German handwriting.

I like the upper case E, O, Q, X, and Z.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=314397&sp=1016&event=1016RNF%7C1073374%7C1016

Oh I searched very hard for a font of the German Lateinische Ausgangsschrift. I found a few on German websites like Pelikan but they were quite expensive (and in euros). But then a circuitous route lead to the discovery of Lateinische Ausgangsschrift and other German and European school fonts on a free website. LA (if memory serves, is on page 3 of the school fonts.

This worked on by Mac, I hope they work for PCs too.

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=602

Bill

THANK YOU for this! What a dangerous site, though. I think I added about 20 fonts to my collection yesterday before pulling myself away. :tongue_smilie:

If you know enough German (or are proficient with Google Translate!) to fake your way through the German Amazon site, you can buy workbooks for it there. I don't know that there are instructional materials which would be useful to the English-speaking homeschooler, but the workbooks aren't too expensive, especially if you only have to buy one--I was buying three! Anyway, you can see examples of what is available here.

Amazon.uk sells some of these titles, too. Some of them can be found on Amazon.com, although only through their marketplace sellers, and mostly for ridiculous prices. I did find a couple of new workbooks for >$10 and ordered them. :D I love this thread!

Btw, when we learned this type of cursive in school, it was always practiced with a fountain pen. :)

So, I have a dumb question about downloading and using these fonts from Bill's site. How can I make them work for the things I want to say, not "the quick brown fox..."? I would love to be able to print things off for the dc...Any help is appreciated. :D

What do you mean? Type whatever you want in Word or any other text-writing program, then print.

Use the "regular" font for the model and the so-called "italic" for the font with "dots" that the children can write over. For both use the "#" key to maintain the rule in spaces. The italic spacing in the # mode is different than the "regular" mode (the italic is much less) so life is not perfect :D

Bill

What do you mean? Type whatever you want in Word or any other text-writing program, then print.

Use the "regular" font for the model and the so-called "italic" for the font with "dots" that the children can write over. For both use the "#" key to maintain the rule in spaces. The italic spacing in the # mode is different than the "regular" mode (the italic is much less) so life is not perfect :D

Bill

Please be patient with me. :D I am trying this stuff for the first time. How do I get the font into my Open Office word processing app? This is the step I am missing. Help?

Please be patient with me. :D I am trying this stuff for the first time. How do I get the font into my Open Office word processing app? This is the step I am missing. Help?

Oh. You will need to "install" the font. How one does that on a Windows PC, I do not know :D

I'm certain the Hive Mind could help you. Maybe start a s/o thread. Or search for how to install fonts Windows [and the variation of the OS you are using].

Good luck,

Bill (who would bet you just copy the fonts to a folder named FONTS, and relaunch Open Office)

They have connected fine here in the limited samples I've printed thus far. The "italic" font is neat because is just lives a light outline of the script for children (or others) to trace over. Hitting the # sign continues the rule in the space between words.

Bill

They usually connect fine, but it is limited to letters that connect naturally (like a to b)

but when you have a letter that needs to be lifted (like r to o) there is not two options for o... One to connect higher and one to connect lower. So there is a limitation to the font in that way. And yes, the letters do not just hang, they do connect in German cursive!

Sorry if this is not clear, but do you KWIM?

They usually connect fine, but it is limited to letters that connect naturally (like a to b)

but when you have a letter that needs to be lifted (like r to o) there is not two options for o... One to connect higher and one to connect lower. So there is a limitation to the font in that way. And yes, the letters do not just hang, they do connect in German cursive!

Sorry if this is not clear, but do you KWIM?

Clear. Pelikan in Germany has another version. Pricey though, and I'm not sure if it is Mac compatible.

Bill

Thanks Spy Car, I'll take free, limitations and all! :D

I thought you might be singing a different tune :D

And here I was feeling pretty self-satisfied for finding a free font for "Lateinische Ausgangsschrift" when the thing is only listed as "LA El2 Schulschriften." :tongue_smilie:

Bill