Menu

Who started "formal" schooling at 5 and didn't regret it?

mhornby56

My dd6.5 started K last year when she was 5 (May bday). It was fine the whole time. She made great strides in reading and writing, her math is coming along, and she is really interested in science and history. I have no regrets about it at all. Her elder brother, on the other hand, did nothing but Bob books his K year--and that was almost too much for him. :D However, he is working on grade level now, and doing fine. He's just such a different kid from either his older brother or younger sister that it's been hard for ME to adjust to the different needs of each child.

Jumping in late here, but I'll just say there's a big difference between requiring sit down school at 4 and 5. I wouldn't do anything formal at 4 beyond what they ASK for. Instead I'd do lots of educational play:

Alphabet Art and letter of the week activities

play math games

read alouds like the Lang Fairy Tale books

audio books (my dd LOVED Charlotte's Web, the Little House series, unabridged Narnia, etc.)

take nature walks and identify things (wildflowers, birds, butterflies, etc.)

study sign using the Signing Time videos

I just wouldn't pin them down at a table. If you have older kids, the younger may want formal work, but even then I'd keep it fun. I see no need to push the formality of traditional K5 (which I have no problem with, done at the right age and in small doses) to ever younger ages. Go have fun!

To be clear, I have no problem with teaching them physics or math or anything else at this age. I'd keep it age-appropriate, which means conversations while you talk and play, audio books, etc..

Edited by OhElizabeth

I don't regret it.

I would regret it *if* I had pushed it, had an unhappy relationship, or done so much as to stress our family.

At age 5, my kids were doing phonics/reading most days, a bit of handwriting (2-3 min/day), math (SM & Miquon), violin daily, and fun stuff. Less than an hour a day of formal work. It was all very relaxed, fun, and healthy.

I *do* think it'd be a huge mistake to force schooling at that age. But, that wasn't the case in my family. For us, it's worked out very well.

We started Kindergarten at 5 & 4 for my boys. They're 6 & 7 now and there's no regrets. I'm wondering what would be considered "forcing". That seems like such a harsh term. My boys didn't ask to learn to read. They weren't dying to do school. But, I told them this is what we're doing and they did it. I didn't stand over them with a whip. But, if I would have waited until they were "ready" or "wanted to learn" I'd still be waiting. They hate school. Well, they don't hate it like that, but they would rather be playing. My boys were both more than ready to learn how to read and they learned to read rather painlessly, so I'm glad I taught them early. I realize some kids are early readers and love to learn and all that, but my kids aren't and probably never will be. They want to play and they want to do sports, so it's up to me to put their nose to the grindstone and make sure they get an education. And I don't think I make school boring. They like the content aspects (science and history), but... their interests lie elsewhere.