Menu

College letters/brochures, etc

This had been alluded to in a couple of other posts. Today on my break I found an article talking about how more colleges are sending out more letters to students who aren't necessarily likely to get in. Here it is if anyone wants to read the whole thing and/or discuss it:

http://chronicle.com/blogs/headcount/%E2%80%98application-inflation%E2%80%99-has-many-causes%E2%80%94and-consequences/27722?sid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en

Here's an excerpt:

Sometimes, Ms. White is surprised to hear that particular students have received unsolicited mailings from the most-selective colleges. Recently, she worked with a minority student who got a search letter from an Ivy League college despite his low test scores and lack of extracurricular activities. The student and his parents were thrilled by the letter—so thrilled that they lost interest in discussing other colleges. In the end, the Ivy League college did not offer him a spot.

“When top colleges write to you out of the blue, you stand a little taller, and that’s a good reaction,†Ms. White says. “But it charts a course that’s different from what would have naturally come along. It can make it harder for counselors to say, ‘There’s this very nice college in Ohio you should consider.’â€

Personally... it frustrates me when top colleges want to get more people to apply just to deny them and raise their stats a little higher. Granted, they might find one or two students they would have missed otherwise, but... the harm they do is worse IMO.

Beware of colleges sending info when the student is below their stats (as checked on collegeboard or other reliable site).

This had been alluded to in a couple of other posts. Today on my break I found an article talking about how more colleges are sending out more letters to students who aren't necessarily likely to get in. Here it is if anyone wants to read the whole thing and/or discuss it:

http://chronicle.com/blogs/headcount/%E2%80%98application-inflation%E2%80%99-has-many-causes%E2%80%94and-consequences/27722?sid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en

Here's an excerpt:

Personally... it frustrates me when top colleges want to get more people to apply just to deny them and raise their stats a little higher. Granted, they might find one or two students they would have missed otherwise, but... the harm they do is worse IMO.

Beware of colleges sending info when the student is below their stats (as checked on collegeboard or other reliable site).

LOL! We have been inundated with these! While ds does fit the criteria of their average student, I cannot see him getting in (Univ Chicago, Washington University, New York University). These places have spent a fortune sending us mailings - at least one per week from each. I guess those application fees pay for something :tongue_smilie: