Menu

Mystery of History 4?

Alison in KY

Does anyone know when this will be completed?

Last time someone asked on the yahoo group they wouldn't set a date. I don't know if something is going on behind the scenes that might delay it, or if they are just embarrassed by having set a date earlier that ended up way off because the rewrite of volume 1 ended up taking a year or so.

Let me put it this way. The publisher has contracts with venders about who gets to announce any updates or new volumes. What this meant with the update of volume 1, is that they couldn't tell anyone till the vender had announced it. Basically till it was done. I work for Linda on the website (though unpaid) and I didn't know. If they were going to do an update of volume 2 thus pushing out the publishing date of volume 4 they couldn't even tell us because of the contract provisions.

That said I don't think they are, I do know that Linda plans to record volume 3 before volume 4 is finished, so that will take away from her writing. It also takes a minimum of a year to publish a volume once Linda finishes writing it. Given she is now over half way through writing it, I would say it is about two years out. That would be the 2012-2013 school year. But if something does come up in those two years it could throw it to the 2013-2014 school year. They are coming up on a hard date with Illuminations, the literature/English program they are doing with MOH. This year they are working on MOH 3, next year they will do AAH 1 (2011-2012), the year after they will do AAH 1 (2012-2013) then they need to have MOH 4 ready by 2013-2014 because the team that writes it uses it in real life with their own kids as they write it. They could wrap around to year 1 and then come back to year 4, but that would be awkward. There is going to be a big push to have MOH 4 ready for the team, KWIM?

Heather

Siloam, do you know why she went back and did updates & recordings for already-completed volumes before finishing volume 4? I don't understand that. These terribly long delays are the reason I started looking around for something else while doing volume 1 when THAT was still pretty new... 6 years ago. :001_huh:

Siloam, do you know why she went back and did updates & recordings for already-completed volumes before finishing volume 4? I don't understand that. These terribly long delays are the reason I started looking around for something else while doing volume 1 when THAT was still pretty new... 6 years ago. :001_huh:

I haven't heard herd her directly answer it. I can guess.

There is a huge demand for the audio versions. Someone e-mails we almost weekly about volume 3 on audio. I actually get less questions about when volume 4 will be out.

My guess is that updating volume 1 became a priority because it had gotten such a reputation of being light that people would choose something else over doing MOH. They wanted something they could stick with long term. Even before they announced the update I was personally frusterated at how many people would dismiss it out of hand. The upper level activities were created in order to add the kind of depth people are looking for with older students, but people wanted a meaty base, or maybe it was consistency because volume 2 does have a meaty base? I don't know for sure, I just know it was a problem. I don't think the dating was a major argument for doing the update. It just was done because they could given they were already doing the update. In fact I think it was an after thought because they have since found inconsistencies in User's dating that I think would have made them think twice if they had had really looked at it in depth.

There is also a sense, among the core and vocal users of MOH, that it is very easy to go from MOH 3 to AAH 1 & 2 that has taken much of the pressure off to get MOH 4 done ASAP. People can finish their history cycle. Maybe not in an ideal sense, but it isn't like there will be a huge gap in history if you go that route, you just switch from a World History to a US History focus. I only just recently bough AAH, so I am not sure what I think yet.

Totally off the main topic, I was of the loosing minority who still wanted the originally planned 5 volumes. They are going to cover from the Revolutionary War up to the present date in a book that is a year long. That is a lot of ground. I would honestly prefer to have less focus on early history and more on modern. These are the reasons why I end up using TOG as a base and MOH as a spine. When Maggie (the publisher) did polls the majority of people planned to do AAH or other US history program anyway. I believe volume 4 will thus touch on American history when needed but will focus on World issues in the 4th volume.

Heather

I haven't been on the boards consistently of late...what's AAH? (This from a gal who used to know all the abbreviations, now I just stay confused when I visit :))

All American History by Bright Ideas Press, not to be confused with the All American History package by Winter Promise. :D

I still am confused sometimes, and I have been doing this for years, so don't feel bad.

Heather