Menu

How are all the Potheads this morning?

When HP four came out, DD and her best friend went to a midnight Harry Potter book party. They wore scarves and hats in Gryffendor colors.

When movie four premiered, they were dressed in Gryffendor Quidditch robes that I made for them. Dh turned wands for them on his wood lathe.

My sister took them to the movie and she was dressed in "dress robes"...beautiful blue fake velvet with embroidery work she did herself.

Serious dorks here! DD has since outgrown the costume stage...thank goodness for me because I am too busy quilting to be interuppted making HP robes.

Faith

When HP four came out, DD and her best friend went to a midnight Harry Potter book party. They wore scarves and hats in Gryffendor colors.

When movie four premiered, they were dressed in Gryffendor Quidditch robes that I made for them. Dh turned wands for them on his wood lathe.

My sister took them to the movie and she was dressed in "dress robes"...beautiful blue fake velvet with embroidery work she did herself.

Serious dorks here! DD has since outgrown the costume stage...thank goodness for me because I am too busy quilting to be interuppted making HP robes.

Faith

Oh, don't get me wrong- I'm a total dork, too. When the 7th book came out, I flew to another state to attend the midnight party at Barnes and Noble with my sister. She had rented a hotel room for us, so that we could each have our own beds to lie on while reading. She had decorated the room with HP decorations. She ordered Blood pops, Acid Pops and Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans. She made her own Chocolate Frogs. She ordered an HP cake. She had all the books and movies there in case we needed to reference anything. And, she had downloaded a bunch of Harry and the Potters and Draco and the Malfoys music to her ipod. She dressed as McGonagall and I dressed as Dolores Umbridge. We had an absolute blast!!!!!!!! It was seriously one of the best weekends of my life.

I was just annoyed by the high school crowd at the theatre, not necessarily by the dork factor! Too many adolescent hormones to deal with at 12:00 AM!

P.S. Sis and I are definitely going to dress up for the last movie!

I was just annoyed by the high school crowd at the theatre, not necessarily by the dork factor! Too many adolescent hormones to deal with at 12:00 AM!

P.S. Sis and I are definitely going to dress up for the last movie!

You and your sis are hoots.

I couldn't believe how polite and considerate all the high school groupies were at our theatre last night. There were some kids ahead of us in line, and when some of their friends arrived, instead of letting them cut ahead of us in line, they moved back with them so they could all stand in line together. No pushing, no shoving, no cutting. They were loud and excited, but well mannered.

Scrappyhomeschooler,

TOTALLY AWESOME!

Now, for all you potheads, I have a wonderful HP prank for you to pull on someone you love but who can handle the humor.

Buy Bertie's Every Flavor Beans...pick the worst ones out...rotten egg, dirt, soap, etc. Then open up a bag of Jolly Rancher mixed jelly beans. They are look alike beans. Pick an equal number of Jolly Rancher beans and mix with your pile of nasty HP beans. Decorate a treat bag and give to your victim on Easter.

The girls, dd's best friend is also an honorary daughter of ours, gave them to DH (oh, dad...we've got a treat for you!!!). The first one he picked out was rotten egg....oh man....it was awesome!

Faith

We had two full-on Hagrids on stilts and a Voldemort with prothetic flat nose & everything. And a whole Quidditch team. (Not us, lol, but it was fun to watch.) And I'm fine ATM but it has to hit sometime, right? I slept from almost 4 to about 8:30 with two wake-ups from the baby (who came with and was fabulous and slept through except for one minute in the middle).

We were allowed to sit in the theater as soon as soon as we got there (10:00), which was nice. There were some very loud, annoying teenagers during that period, but by the time the movie started everyone was great.

As far as the movie went, it was very good. They skipped so much, but overall it was handled well. I can't imagine seeing this without having read the book, though.

The movie was very intense, and DS wanted to leave several times, but that just wasn't an option. He covered his eyes at several scenes and was fine by the end.

Got to the movie theater at about 10:30pm. Instead of a line, those who were going to see HP were able to just go in and sit in the theater. They had all the lights on - it was bright as day in there, which was a surreal experience, lol! Looked askance at the teenagers at the very front of the theater, tried to remember if I was ever like them (I probably was...) Got back at 3am. Am now tired, but I'm surviving :)

Scrappyhomeschooler,

TOTALLY AWESOME!

Now, for all you potheads, I have a wonderful HP prank for you to pull on someone you love but who can handle the humor.

Buy Bertie's Every Flavor Beans...pick the worst ones out...rotten egg, dirt, soap, etc. Then open up a bag of Jolly Rancher mixed jelly beans. They are look alike beans. Pick an equal number of Jolly Rancher beans and mix with your pile of nasty HP beans. Decorate a treat bag and give to your victim on Easter.

The girls, dd's best friend is also an honorary daughter of ours, gave them to DH (oh, dad...we've got a treat for you!!!). The first one he picked out was rotten egg....oh man....it was awesome!

Faith

How can you tell which ones are rotten egg and such?

Got to the movie theater at about 10:30pm. Instead of a line, those who were going to see HP were able to just go in and sit in the theater. They had all the lights on - it was bright as day in there, which was a surreal experience, lol! Looked askance at the teenagers at the very front of the theater, tried to remember if I was ever like them (I probably was...) Got back at 3am. Am now tired, but I'm surviving :)

This pretty well sums it up for me too:D. My ds wore his sorting hat and new HP t-shirt. He did get some fun comments (which he enjoyed thoroughly).

Oh we had a blast- we've never done a midnight showing before and the crowd was awesome. There were senior citizens, 12 year olds, lots of college students, lots of middle aged folks- it made for some great people watching. I really need to start making some robes for everyone. Our theater was all decked out with HP themed decor (lots of it was handmade). They had some photo ops like the cardboard "undesirable #1" with a hole cutout so you could stick your face in and take a pic.

I only took Oldest with me, and was glad I didn't take 9yo- I think he and the youngers would have been completely overwhelmed by some of the scenes (on a big screen). I cried at so many parts. It was a very emotional movie and it was great to watch it with a crowd of avid fans.

We got home after 3, it was a PITA getting out of the parking lot with everyone leaving at the same time but it wasn't awful. I think I have a new 'thing' for going to midnight showings of 'cult' movies.

"How can you tell which ones are rotten egg and such?"

Every box we've purchased had an identification list on the back. So white with blue speckles is_____and such.

Faith

Oh, thanks. I haven't bought those bean in years. I think we'll do HP Easter baskets this year- we're planning to visit the theme park around that time. :D

Dh hates crowded movie theaters and wants to wait until next weekend. He'd be so hurt if ds and I went to see it without him. I don't think I can make it a whole week and might have to talk him into going Sunday.

So far I'm hearing good reviews from people who've read the books. Several facebook friends went to the midnight show, or saw it this morning.

We got back at 3:00 a.m. too but I didn't get to sleep till 4:00 or so 'cause I was so wired :D Woke up around 9:30.

We, too, had a great experience at the theater. Got there at 10:15, waited in line for about 5 minutes, then got to go in and get seated. There were a couple teenage girls quizzing people about the movie for about 30 minutes. Dh noticed that our younger dd10 was the youngest in our theater. The rest were teens and up.

Getting ready for bed in about 20 minutes :lol:

I went to opening night for HP 1 with my best 9 yo friend (niece) and her family. She talked me into reading the books in the first place and has discussed them with me ever since. 9 years later I spent my time waiting for the movie texting my best university student friend (niece) about what might happen and teasing her because she had to wait another 24 hours until she could see the film.

Wish we could have been together for this-maybe for the last film...

We were allowed to sit in the theater as soon as soon as we got there (10:00), which was nice. There were some very loud, annoying teenagers during that period, but by the time the movie started everyone was great.

As far as the movie went, it was very good. They skipped so much, but overall it was handled well. I can't imagine seeing this without having read the book, though.

The movie was very intense, and DS wanted to leave several times, but that just wasn't an option. He covered his eyes at several scenes and was fine by the end.

Dh and I saw it this afternoon. He hasn't read the books AND he hasn't seen all the other movies. About 1/3 of the way through, it suddenly occurred to me to wonder if he was "getting" it at all. I asked him later, and he said he was. He didn't have all the details (he knew that horcruxes were really bad and that they had to destroy them to defeat Voldemort, but that was it), but he was able to follow and enjoy the movie. Still, there's so much depth/background that you are clueless about if you haven't read them!

The midnight viewings sound like lots of fun. I'll have to see about talking him into going to the last one. :D