Menu

Miquon placement question

woolybear

I am going to start my soon (very!) to be 8 yo in Miquon. He has done very little formal math. We have done a little of Math Made Meaningful and a bit of workbooks now and then. He basically understands subtraction and addition and I think that's about it for now. Should I start him in orange or red? I had assumed orange, but I just wanted to make sure that won't be too simple for him.

Thank you.

I would get Orange and Red. There will be things in Orange that are super-easy for him, but enough new that I wouldn't want to skip it. I would go ahead and get the Red book (and maybe Blue if it's in the budget) b/c I like to pull lab sheets according to what my ds needs and not what order they are in the book...we've never finished a book before starting the next.

I would get Orange and Red. There will be things in Orange that are super-easy for him, but enough new that I wouldn't want to skip it. I would go ahead and get the Red book (and maybe Blue if it's in the budget) b/c I like to pull lab sheets according to what my ds needs and not what order they are in the book...we've never finished a book before starting the next.

:iagree:

Bill

One feature of Miquon that is a little "different" is that it is organized two ways. One can march straight through, stem to stern, with there being a great deal of early "exposure" to different operations or one can continue by "topic."

The topics are organized by "code letters." So if one wanted more work with say "addition" rather than doing fractions one could just look ahead to the material in the next book.

Or one can just jump around. This sort of "organization" will either make good sense to you (as children learn the inter-relationship of the four operations and fractions) or the freedom will make you nuts :D

We love it. Do dig deep into those teachers materials and YOU will get a math education that you can then transmit to the child.

Best wishes!

Bill