Menu

Swollen eyelid on one side?

I vote for allergies too. My dd went from normal looking eye to itchy and swollen like a bee sting in minutes. . .all due to allergies. I was just sure she has something in it! Benedryl worked for her.

We also tried prescription Allegra, but it changed her personality as quick as her eye swelled (she was witchy WAY beyond words!), so it lasted only a few days before we put in a call for something else. Ended up using an otc med - Zyrtec.

I agree with the others.... allergies. If it's just part of the eyelid, it could also be the start of a stye (sort of like a pimple but not 'pronounced' the way a pimple is and there is nothing to pop). If it does turn out to be a stye, a warm & damp washcloth held against it as often throughout the day as you can stand will help.

The sniffles, though makes me vote allergies. I just thought I'd toss out the stye info, 'cause if you get the warm compress on them early, I believe it prevents them from getting bad and shortens the duration of them. I have no evidence to support that, just my own childhood experiences.

I hope it's allergies. I used to get styes all the time as a kid. Hate them. Annoying things that take many days to go away.

It's not red, and the benadryl helped but didn't make it go totally away. I want to give it a day or two to go away before calling the doctor, but hate that it's Friday so we have to either go now or not until Monday. She said it really stings when she cried (set off by little sister), so that worries me some. Would a stye sting?

If she's irritated it by rubbing it, it could sting. I would definitely at least give your ped a call and ask if he/she wants to see your dd. I may be more paranoid, because I'm a peds nurse, but eyelid infections can get nasty very quickly. You really do want to catch them early. Is it her upper or lower eyelid that's swollen?

If she's irritated it by rubbing it, it could sting. I would definitely at least give your ped a call and ask if he/she wants to see your dd. I may be more paranoid, because I'm a peds nurse, but eyelid infections can get nasty very quickly. You really do want to catch them early. Is it her upper or lower eyelid that's swollen?

Upper, and mostly toward the outside edge. If it's an infection, would the benadryl have helped that much? Since that was so effective, I was much less worried.

It's not red, and the benadryl helped but didn't make it go totally away. I want to give it a day or two to go away before calling the doctor, but hate that it's Friday so we have to either go now or not until Monday. She said it really stings when she cried (set off by little sister), so that worries me some. Would a stye sting?

Yeah styes can sting & the "mostly toward the edge" is making me think stye (I have no idea about Benadryl and the effect on styes, though). I'd call the ped. and see what he/she says. They may want to see your dd. Most styes will go away with the warm compresses, but some can get nasty (don't google unless you want to freak). Since your dd is so young, I'd err on the safe side and call today.

Another vote for calling the doctor, just as a precaution.

Sounds like allergies or a stye to me, too, but if it stings and she hasn't been rubbing it, could it be an insect bite? I would think that both the stye and a bite would mean the bump/swelling would be pink or red, but I'm certainly no expert on this sort of thing.

Please let us know what happens!

Cat