Menu

Crafty people, how do you organize all the stuff?

I'm a late starter at the craft stuff. I've recently learned to knit, make bead loom jewelry, and weave on a small frame loom. I'm in the process of learning dry needle felting and also about to embark on sewing, with embroidery planned for next year as well (plus a few more things that are more long term goals). Anyway, it's occurred to me that it might be a good idea to figure out a way of storing the wool, fabric and other various bits and pieces, as opposed to leaving them around the house for my 2yo to dirty/damage!

So, I'd love to know how people keep all their paraphernalia organized? Is it necessary to have a dedicated corner somewhere in the house, or just a bag/box/shelf for each thing, or what?

I hijacked my bedroom closet for all my craft storage(jewlry making, scrap booking, knitting, quilting, sewing, drawing, needlepoint, and so on). I put a cheap book case in there for all the magazines and books related to the crafts. I bought several drawer units on wheels (the cheap plastic kind with see through drawers). These are great because when I want to work on a project, I just roll out the bin and have it next to me where ever I go. They also keep the dust off your stuff. The bins are great if you don't have much space or not much craft supplies yet.

Another thing you can do to keep things organized (at least in your head if nothing else) is to buy a notebook for each craft and divide it into sections: materials, projects completed, and ideas, and keep a post-it pad nearby. I keep a running list of all my materials on hand so I know what I have when I am getting ready for a new project. The post-it pad is for listing things that need replacing (sort of a grocery list of craft supplies). I take a picture of all the things I make and put it in the projects completed section along with notes on any changes I made to the pattern, material used, and a sample of the actual material used if possible. In the ideas section, I sketch colored pictures of what I would like to make along with what type of materials I would like to use and what pattern I would use (if any).

I use heavy duty tool chests like these (but I don't use the wheels). They are sturdy enough to hold reams and reams of paper, long enough to hold knitting needles and shuttles for my loom, and deep enough for fabric, yarn, paint, etc. There are enough drawers that I can keep it all organized, and the slides are sturdy so that I don't have to worry about overloading them.

I put mine side by side under a long wooden countertop so it serves as a workspace too. The look is a bit industrial, but I haven't found anything even close to matching it in practicality.

I found mine at a yard-sale, but I bet they are available used online. These things will last forever!

I also use several of those plastic carts on wheels, two of them fit under our old kitchen table that I now use for my cutting table. Most of my fabric is in baskets in our old computer armoire that used to house our office. I also found a nice sewing table for the kid's machine that was easy to assemble.

I am a lifelong sewer/crafter. I use a lot of plastic drawer sets, small and large. They come in all different sizes and configurations. I am blessed to have a sewing/craft room, but I use the containers in the closet and to organize small things within a dresser and armoire I have in the room. I like the ones by Sterlite. In January they will be available in ABUNDANCE at Target, Walmart and those types of stores. I guess retailers think people like to organize after Christmas. If money is no object there is always The Container Store :001_smile: I love that place, but usually just go there to get ideas. Their web site might give you some ideas. I admit, I am an organizational junkie; I love containers (and crafting)!

HTH,

Mary

I'm a late starter at the craft stuff. I've recently learned to knit, make bead loom jewelry, and weave on a small frame loom. I'm in the process of learning dry needle felting and also about to embark on sewing, with embroidery planned for next year as well (plus a few more things that are more long term goals). Anyway, it's occurred to me that it might be a good idea to figure out a way of storing the wool, fabric and other various bits and pieces, as opposed to leaving them around the house for my 2yo to dirty/damage!

So, I'd love to know how people keep all their paraphernalia organized? Is it necessary to have a dedicated corner somewhere in the house, or just a bag/box/shelf for each thing, or what?

Ah, a serial crafter! You're a woman after my own heart!

I have no advice other than to make a list of where you stash stuff.

I cycle thru crafts (sewing, cross-stitch, rubber stamping, scrapbooking, etc) but when I get on a roll with one type, I shove everything else into the nooks and crannies of my house in order to make space. Then I can't find the shoved away stuff the next time I want to do it. :D