Menu

Where would you refer a mom who wanted to start homeschooling if

..she has concerns about her own organization, concerns about personal time (she's a musician who needs time to create) but is very interested in learning more about the different approaches or "schools of thought" on homeschooling. I'm almost afraid to suggest the WTM simply because it can be overwhelming to newbies, but she does want rigor. At the same time, she loves the idea of child-led science and history.

Ideas/websites?

Thanks so much.

Has she done any reading on Waldorf? She may like the way Oak Meadow can bend and flex along with her creative side. It's fairly rigorous in the upper grades.

I forgot about this-she might like this. Her son is gifted in math, so perhaps she could do all but the math? He's in 4th grade.

..she has concerns about her own organization, concerns about personal time (she's a musician who needs time to create) but is very interested in learning more about the different approaches or "schools of thought" on homeschooling. I'm almost afraid to suggest the WTM simply because it can be overwhelming to newbies, but she does want rigor. At the same time, she loves the idea of child-led science and history.

Ideas/websites?

Thanks so much.

My top recommendations are the book So You're Thinking About Homeschooling by Lisa Welchel and the blog Guilt Free Homeschooling.

I think the Welchel book does a great job of introducing a bunch of different approaches toward homeschooling and can help a parent filter out what to research more and what to ignore.

Guilt Free Homeschooling doesn't update as much as she used to, but her archive is full of great thoughts and observations and the site isn't as cluttered with advertising as a lot of the other intro to homeschooling sites.

FWIW, I also thought that Homeschooling for Dummies was surprisingly good.