Menu

E-readers (Kindle, Nook, etc.) and reading habits

A few months ago, a friend lent me her Kindle so I could read a book on it. I did enjoy reading it on there, but I discovered something about my reading habits. When I am reading a book, and I get anxious about how the story line is going, or maybe a little bored, I'll flip forward 10-20 pages and sneak a peek. It may relieve my anxiety (yes, they do survive that ordeal) or my boredom (oh, that sounds interesting!). I can't do that with an e-reader. It made the whole experience of using the Kindle pretty bizarre. I never realized how often I flip forward until I suddenly couldn't do it. It was kind of stressful. :lol:

Anybody else have reading habits that are not conducive to e-readers?

A few months ago, a friend lent me her Kindle so I could read a book on it. I did enjoy reading it on there, but I discovered something about my reading habits. When I am reading a book, and I get anxious about how the story line is going, or maybe a little bored, I'll flip forward 10-20 pages and sneak a peek. It may relieve my anxiety (yes, they do survive that ordeal) or my boredom (oh, that sounds interesting!). I can't do that with an e-reader. It made the whole experience of using the Kindle pretty bizarre. I never realized how often I flip forward until I suddenly couldn't do it. It was kind of stressful. :lol:

Anybody else have reading habits that are not conducive to e-readers?

I have exactly the same problem and also realized how often I flip around. I also keep getting surprised when I get to the end of a book sooner than I expected because I forget that the page count often includes all sorts of odds and ends at the back of the book. I also get confused every so often and try to swipe a real book to turn the page, or try to actually turn the page on my reader.

These are all minor annoyances though, and the advantages of an ereader to me far outweigh the disadvantages. My knees will be forever grateful to not have to load a thousand books into a moving truck again.

I've never heard anyone else discuss this before, but when I have my Kindle, it is very hard for me to actually focus and read a single book and stick with it. I spend most of the time reading the reviews, downloading various samples, and looking up things. Which is fun -- it's like hanging out in a bookstore -- but it's a struggle for me to actually buckle down and truly read something.

Jenny

I HATE the fact that it is so hard to go back and look again at sections that I liked. I read a lot of Christian nonfiction, and often want to go back to look at passages that inspired me. Way too hard to do on my Kindle! Unless I remembered to bookmark or highlight it, which I often forget to do.

And this is not exactly what you asked, but I desperately want my Bible and commentaries on my Kindle, but it's next to impossible to navigate around in those types of books.

how funny. I don't flip forward, but I did get really surprised (and dismayed) when reading a long, completely engrossing book on my Kindle and I thought there was at least a chapter or two to go when whammo, the book abruptly ended. Turns out those last few pages were a preview of a different book. Now I have to wait for the next in the series (Diana Gabaldon's Outlander).. grr I hate waiting!

Although I think that has happened to me with regular books too; maybe if I got in the habit of flipping forward now and then I wouldn't be so shocked!