Menu

Harry Potter

How old do you think kids should be before they read Harry Potter?

My 7yo dd read it when her older brothers were going nutso over it. She has not finished the series though. I think she sputtered out at #3 which is probably just as well. Though if she pushed the matter I'd let her finish the series.

For us, we had our oldest wait til he was 9 before we started reading it to/with him, but he's free to go back and read any of the series on his own. We're just now finishing up the series, in time for when we get to see the movie next week.

We're also having our youngest wait to read the series until he's 9, though he has seen the first movie with us.

We're using the books as family read-alouds. We did Book 1 and 2 when ds was in first grade, then we're doing the next book when we finish our school year. Right now we're reading Bk 4. Getting close to the end, and we'll need to do quite a bit of reading at once after the Triwizard Tournament ends.

Ds is somewhat sensitive, so keeping to one book a year seems to help him grow with the characters.

I haven't encouraged my DD to read them yet. I haven't censored them from our library or anything like that, but they, like most of our Sci-fi/fantasy library, are shelved currently above her normal eye level so she'd have to make an effort to find them. Same with the Chronicles of Narnia and Roald Dahl. She could handle the reading level and likes fantasy, but I don't think she can handle the emotional load and some of the dark moments yet.

I waited until DD was 11. I knew she would want to read them one after the other and I wanted to wait on the darkness of books 5+. As it was, she read books 1-4 right away, then we waited another 6 months to read the rest.

DS read them at the same time, even though he's a bit older. He was never begging for them like DD. :) We are listening to book 7 on audio as a refresher before the movie and DS has asked that we turn it off a couple of times because of the intensity. He even knows what's going to happen!

My eldest started when she was 6, but they weren't all out yet. That made it easy. :D

Middle dd wasn't really interested until she was 9 and she didn't do 5-7 until she was 11. That was just due to her own interest, not an edict by me.

DS has only read the first one, but he's listened to them all on audio at this point.

I'm glad you asked this, I was just thinking about it myself!

I probably would have waited longer, but my Mom let the kids watch the first movie last year when they stayed with her(when they were 5 and 3 - :glare: - much earlier than I would have let them, but oh well) and now they haven't stopped asking to have me read it to them. I'm still not sure about it, even though neither of them gets scared very easily and both handled even the movie fine. It's good to read all the different ages!

Our oldest ds was 6 when he was given the book, but I preread it and decided to wait a few years. Harry is 11 in the first book and personally, I think that's a good guide in its own way--is your child old enough to hang out with 11 year olds? (And they get older as the series moves on and teen-type issues arise.) Another issue is that I was careful about introducing any "dark" stuff when they were young--including fairy tales. I am very glad I did. My kids were not scared of the dark, monsters, etc. because they hadn't had that put into their heads. Other families make different decisions, but that's the way I looked at it.

My oldest is 10 and has read the first 3. She has started book 4, but she keeps finding other things she'd rather read. She loves fantasy books, so I was sure she would LOVE Harry Potter, but she hasn't been as into it as I thought. Some parts have grossed her out because she has a really weak stomach. :ack2: :lol: Right now, historical fiction is pulling her in. She just read The Witch of Blackbird Pond and LOVED it! So, we'll see.

I read the first 3, as well, and then I lost interest. I am planning to start book 4 (again) if she decides to continue and read them as she does because I have also heard they get dark as you go.

My 7 year old has read books 1-6 to himself and has listened to all 7 on CD (often as "background music" while playing). He started book 7 a couple weeks ago and then decided he wasn't ready to read it. My 10 year old hasn't tackled the books yet, but he's a less confident reader. He has listened to the stories.

As an FYI, a "good" character dies in every book starting with the 4th (Goblet of Fire). "Bad" ones die earlier (like Professor Quirrell in the first), but things definitely get rough at the end of book 4. We won't let the kids watch the end of that movie (even tho they've seen the books) because it is pretty scary. I think CommonSense has rated all the books and movies.

SPOILERS!!! Related to Book 7 and why my 7 year old stopped reading.

He was quite upset at the loss of Hedwig and then Moody's death and George's amputation. He could tell the story was only going to get darker and decided he just didn't want to read anymore. He's been very sensitive about death (and getting rather existential about his own), and I'm glad he was able to make this decision on his own. He usually is pretty good about that.