Menu

So, has anyone gone to Europe by ship? If so, what was your experience?

Just thinking that my ds's really, really, really each have one country near and dear to their hearts that they would love to see. Dh and I wanted to make that happen for them and we've begun saving for it. But, we will not fly as long as the TSA's are using backspatter scans and "enhanced" pat downs.

I know it takes a lot longer to get there by ship but on the other hand, if it is a wonderful experience, maybe it would be worth a try.

Does anyone know what the typical port cities are for travel out of New York Harbor? I know absolutely nothing about this.

Faith

It's generally quite expensive to go by ship, although there are usually more options to cross the Atlantic than the Pacific. If your kids are all old enough, freighter cruises can be an interesting option. I am not aware of any passenger ships crossing either ocean, unfortunately. This is a good website about taking a freighter.

I've wanted to do this for years because we go to Asia fairly often, but it's difficult to do, expensive, and most freighters don't allow small children on board, or even teenagers at times. Maybe someday.

Edited by Amira
Added the link

I want to do this too!!!! We were actually booked on a cruise leaving Barcelona and coming in to Port Canaveral, FL next September. But, the flights for six of us was just too expensive. So, we switched to a Mexican Riviera cruise instead. But, I've been looking at TA cruises for a long time now.

Check out this cruise line:http://book.cunard.com/find/pb/find.do

It looks amazing! I have a friend who travels on the Queen mary (I think) regularly and he LOVES it! It is expensive though.

Also check out other cruise lines TA cruises as repositioning cruises. That's what we were going to do. We were going to travel on Disney cruise line after their European season was over and they were bringing the ship back to the US. They often sell these cruises VERY cheap. Our 14 day cruise for 6 of us with an ocean view was going to cost us $7000. Not bad!

I'm thinking of taking one of the Cunard ships there and then take a repo cruise back.

Have fun planning!

Okay - I had to search the prices again! The Queen Mary Eastbound TA cruise (7 days) New York to Southampton is $1200 for an inside room. That's at the beginning of Sept. I bet there are cheaper times of year. But, if you take this cruise eastbound, travel in Europe, choose any other cruise line for a westbound trip (also called repositioning cruises) later in September. Looks like Norwegian/Disney/Cunard/Holland America/Royal Caribbean all have them. but, you'll have to play with the dates. Anyway, the trip back ranges in price from just over $1000/pp.

Okay - I had to search the prices again! The Queen Mary Eastbound TA cruise (7 days) New York to Southampton is $1200 for an inside room. That's at the beginning of Sept. I bet there are cheaper times of year. But, if you take this cruise eastbound, travel in Europe, choose any other cruise line for a westbound trip (also called repositioning cruises) later in September. Looks like Norwegian/Disney/Cunard/Holland America/Royal Caribbean all have them. but, you'll have to play with the dates. Anyway, the trip back ranges in price from just over $1000/pp.

Oh, no! You canceled your Europesn Disney Cruise! You were going to be my "tester!":lol: We're booked on the new ship in February. I'm pretty excited about it. It'll be fun to have a new cruise experience!