Menu

I have four large leeks to use up-WHAT can I make besides leek soup?

Turkish Leeks in Olive Oil (Pirasa in Turkish):

Saute in olive oil a small chopped onion, add the leeks, roughly chopped into bite size pieces. Add carrots, sliced into rounds. Add a bit of rice, some water, salt, pepper, some lemon juice, and dill. Let simmer over med-low heat until veggies are soft and rice is fully cooked.

Serve chilled or at room temp. I add an extra spray of lemon juice when I serve, but I like it sour.

Excellent ideas-thank you! I decided on this one:

http://localfoods.about.com/od/maindishes/r/leektart.htm with the butter tart crust, and I'm going to add cut up cooked chkn to make it a meal. Going to serve with a baby bok choy salad (also from the CSA box!) So much fun learning to cook with local organic foods!

Going to save the other ideas for another time, for sure!

Thanks for posting to ask, HappyGrace. It reminded me that I have some huge leeks in my garden, so I used them in place of onions for my squash soup. It was fantastic! :)

CSA offers a great cooking challenge, doesn't it? I've often thought that our local cooking store should put on a CSA cooking class.

Cat

Our favorite is savory leek tart. :)

Do you have a good recipe?

Yes, I would usually use them like onions but I need to use them all up by tomorrow or they won't be good.

I am sorry I didn't see this in time for you!

Our recipe comes from Mrs. Beeton's; but my cookbook is still packed away since moving. :blush: Does anyone out there have Mrs. Beeton's recipe?

This recipe is similar. We used whole cream and Gruyere, or another nice, robust cheese (preferably one the inlaws gave is that is a little too strong for sandwiches ;) Even odds and ends you happen to have are a great.) If you use a mild cheese, which is equally delicious, add a generous sprinkle of nutmeg. Oh dear! Now I'm hungry for this myself :D

Edited by Medieval Mom

Excellent ideas-thank you! I decided on this one:

http://localfoods.about.com/od/maindishes/r/leektart.htm with the butter tart crust, and I'm going to add cut up cooked chkn to make it a meal. Going to serve with a baby bok choy salad (also from the CSA box!) So much fun learning to cook with local organic foods!

Going to save the other ideas for another time, for sure!

Ah! NOW I see your post! Nice choice! ;) Well, great minds think alike, I guess :D I hope it turned out! :)