Menu

Graphic novels/comic books for dd7?

This might be a little old for her, but our kids all enjoyed the movie so it might be an idea:

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Marvel-Classics-Butler/dp/0785139168/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290101766&sr=1-1

As I mentioned above, it might be a little older than what you were looking for. It is good though! :001_smile: I have the individual books, but hope to get the complete set one day (for ease of reading). There is also a Sense and Sensibility set, but I haven't seen any of those.

ETA: There are also Wizard of Oz graphic novels that we really, really like. That might be something more in the age range of your daughter. I don't know much about the "modern" kids comics/graphic novels. We really like the art work in the novels I mentioned, and the stories are good too. They are all full color.

Edited by lorien

Baby Mouse and Owly are favorites here. Also Sticky Burr is hilarious. I think the Time Warp Trio has graphic novels now, too.

The Warriors (series about cats) might be a little old for her, but our kids like those as well.

There is also a Wind in the Willows graphic novel...I'm sure other classics have been made into that, too!

We like Shannon Hale's Rapunzel's Revenge and Calamity Jack.

Edited by 6packofun

We also love the artist/author Kazu Kibuishi (Amulet series, Copper) and now he has started another series called Flight Explorer which is for younger kids and is a collection of stories. It's based on the older series called Flight that also has short stories, many that continue across volumes. GREAT artwork.

What fabulous recommendations! Baby Mouse, Fashion Kitty, Owly and Sticky Burr look great (loved the Sticky Burr excerpt). I can't seem to find any Good Time Travel Agency samples. Calvin and Hobbes already hangs around here - I think a lot might go over her head.

She loves animals - The Warriors might be okay. I'll check it out.

The Timberdoodle options are overwhelming - wow! Awesome!

Lorien, your recommendations looks fabulous - for me!!! I can't find any samples for Wizard of Oz; the cover illustration look beautiful. Amazon says it's over 200 pages?

Thanks all! :001_smile:

Edited by lisabees

All of my kids have just loved these comics. There is definitely conspicuous consumption in them, and also some kidnappings and heists. But still, they honed their reading skills on these vintage comics bought in bulk off ebay.

I second the Shannon Hale Rapunzel's Revenge/Calamity Jack series, too.

My daughter really likes the Betty and Veronica stuff, too, but I have mixed feelings about that so I wouldn't exactly recommend it.

If you decide to go for traditional comic boooks (marvel or dc) please be aware that most of the story lines are intended for older teens or adults these days.

Ask your local comic book store owner for recommendations. Marvel has a line of kid appropriate stories using their regular characters (Iron Man, Captain America, etc) called Marvel Adventures. Some of the stories are quite cute and have good quality art.

There is a lot of great storytelling available in graphic novel form, but it is best done as an original story rather than just taking a novel and 'adapting' it with pictures. If you (or she when she is older) are interested there is a wonderful book called Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud that explores comic books as there own unique medium.

Seconding Babymouse, Owly, and the Amulet series, which I just read.

Also, adding Lunch Lady, which somehow doesn't seem to have gotten a mention. It's a bit more boy-focused, but I thought I'd toss it in there. Oh, and the Miyazaki movies (My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, etc.) have 4 book graphic novels that are cute.

My 6yo LOVED the phonics comics. We've found a few others at the library but it seems most of the kids comic section is too old for her. There's a series about two mice called Binky & Pinky, and another (don't know if it's a series, I've only seen one so far) about a cat named Binky who thinks he's in space. I don't know why that name is so popular, but I'm thinking about typing it into the library's computer to see what else is out there!

My 6yo LOVED the phonics comics. We've found a few others at the library but it seems most of the kids comic section is too old for her. There's a series about two mice called Binky & Pinky, and another (don't know if it's a series, I've only seen one so far) about a cat named Binky who thinks he's in space. I don't know why that name is so popular, but I'm thinking about typing it into the library's computer to see what else is out there!

I haven't read all the Phonics Comics titles, but I wasn't so impressed with what I saw. But I love, love, love the Toon Books. Benny and Penny is one of their titles, but my favorite is Stinky. Many of them are available to read online too. I wish there were more easy reader comics. But I'm sure they're coming. Soon...

Oooh - tell me where I can see a sample! It looks adorable!
My girls highly recommend Yotsuba&!. DH reads them to my youngest, and he enjoys them too.

B&N usually carries them, so you could take a look if there's one nearby. For some reason they're shelved with manga (usually situated near genre fiction) rather than in the kids' graphic section.

My girls highly recommend Yotsuba&!. DH reads them to my youngest, and he enjoys them too.

B&N usually carries them, so you could take a look if there's one nearby. For some reason they're shelved with manga (usually situated near genre fiction) rather than in the kids' graphic section.

Aaah, that's why I didn't see them yesterday. I was in the kids' section. Appropriate for a 7 year old, though?

Aaah, that's why I didn't see them yesterday. I was in the kids' section. Appropriate for a 7 year old, though?
Absolutely.

I have *no* idea why they're shelved where they are.