Menu

Cost of orthodontics

Right. She said we needed to wait until then, but b/c she has already lost 7 teeth at 7.2 that she will probably have all her teeth out by 10 or so and we will get an ortho rec. Dh and I were just curious to see what we need to put back so it wouldn't a "surprise."

I really depends on where you live. Here in California, we paid around $5500 for dd's 4 years of treatment. The reason it took 4 years is she had some baby teeth that refused to come out. The general time is around two years. We shopped around, collected recommendations and this seemed to be the average price. In fact there was only one ortho who gave us a lower quote and we didn't feel comfortable with his office at all. You have to feel comfortable in the office because you are going to be spending a lot of time there! :)

We are taking dd #2 in for her consult soon. We waited longer to start this one because the ortho didn't even want to see her until her baby teeth were gone.

HTH and I hope you find a good ortho.

Amber in SJ

It was $4800.00 for dd. We waited until she was 15 to have them done because we just couldn't afford it. Dh got a raise which allowed us to forward all that money to the orthodontist. Thankfully, we had it all payed off before his company did the mandatory pay cuts for all employees.

Ds 11 needs it but we will be waiting until he is 14. Our house will be paid off by then and so the payment to the orthodontist will be a no brainer.

Faith

My DS is in the first steps of getting ortho treatment. For us the cost is $5000 for 16 months of treatment. He has a big gap between his two front teeth and a cross bite. I thought it would be less expensive because his jaw is big and we are closing a gap, not spreading the jaw to accommodate more teeth, but I was wrong.

My DD's braces were $3800 five years ago. She had a severe over bite and a teeny tiny jaw which did not have room for more teeth. They had to widen her jaw and she was in braces for 3 years. She does need more correction now, with a cost of $3000, but has opted not to get it done because it requires tooth (2) extraction and another year of braces.

Our insurance has a lifetime orthodontic benefit of only $1000 so most of the cost comes out-of-pocket.

My son just got braces at the end of August. Our dentist had said the same thing - to wait until he lost all of his baby teeth.

It will cost around $4000 for 18 months to 2 years. Insurance pays half, and our orthodontist (and most of the other practices around here) offers a no interest payment plan for our portion.

We had advance warning from our dentist, so dh made sure to add extra dental + orthodontist insurance to our plan for 2010. We'll continue it into 2011 of course.

Orthodontics and insurance is different than dental insurance. It may be the same company, but they definitely don't cover as much!

Our experience:

Ds1 - had a crossbite that was causing medical issues. First set of braces: $1000. He's currently in a second set of braces for $4800. Insurance will cover $1000 of that total.

Ds2 - Has been seeing the ortho since he was about 9. They've done nothing yet. I expect his will be purely cosmetic and should cost less than ds1.

Ds3 - Seeing the ortho since he was 7. They've done nothing yet.

We were pretty fortunate in our insurance choices it seems. There's no max on ortho, and it does pay half (actually a bit more than half). We added extra dental because our ortho practice requires you to see your regular dentist every 3 months. These are higher priced plans, but they still were worth it when compared to our out of pocket expenses.

Get a second and third opinion. Ten is pretty early to start with conventional ortho, as the adult teeth will not all have erupted. You want to know in advance if this is going to be a once-and-for-all solution, or whether there will be further ortho later.

Calvin's was free to us - paid for through taxes as it was deemed a medical need (severe overbite). Hobbes' will probably be deemed cosmetic (crowded teeth), so we will have to pay.

Laura

w egot 2 estimates. ...5400 at one place and 4700 at the other place. Most orthos do a free initial consult, exam and estimate. They give a slight cash discount if you pay in full the first visit. Ours were 5% and 4% respectively.

At least for us these expenses can be paid out of a flexible spending account. I've had to keep in mind that in the coming years, as I understand it, they are capping the max you can set aside in a flex account. Now it is 5000 I think, in the future it is supposed to be 2500. YMMV however. I am not sure if that is a national thing or just part of our plan from my dh's work.

Ds just got braces last week. $5300, minus the $1000 from insurance. Leaves us with $4300, minus the 4% discount for paying in full, up front. We took the money out of ds's college fund, and will repay it over 4 years instead of the 18 months we would have had to pay it in to the orthodontist. Around here, it is common to get a discount for paying full. It is also common to pay no interest if paid in full before the removal of the braces. Middle TN, Northwest of Nashville, if it matters.

So the dentist said dd will need ortho at 10 or so if her cross bite doesn't improve. I don't know anything about ortho, what's the cost?

I know this seems like a simple question, but asking what orthodontia costs is like asking what cars cost. It just depends. There are SO many factors. Just count on it costing about twice what you think it will, and count on your insurance (if you have any) covering only half of what you think the cost will be. Then, talk to friends in your local area to find out who the good orthodontists are. Then, make at least two appointments for consultations. Most orthodontists offer this service (including x-rays) for free. They give you the x-rays, I believe, so you can take them to the other consultations to avoid taking too many x-rays.

Listen to what they say, and assess their recomendations. Observe how they interact with your dc. Pay attention to the overall "feel" of the office -- the staff, the spaciousness, the mood, whether they listen to your concerns and answer your questions. There should be no secrets about the treatment plan, the time they think it will take, the cost, the payment options, anything. They should lay it all out on the table with no pressure. Let them win you.

My insurance pays a flat $1500. The cost for my dd's braces is $5300. She has a complicated mouth with a cross-bite and may even need orthognathic surgery to correct her jaw position (hope not, but the ortho wanted to be sure that I knew it could be necessary).

She's been in braces for almost one year now. She was 11y7m when she got the braces. She has two more baby teeth left that she is supposed to wiggle out before her next ortho appointment in 3.5 weeks.

Once these last baby teeth come out and the adult teeth start coming up, the ortho can give us a better idea of how much longer she'll need the braces.

In my dd's case, she needed to be in the braces before all the baby teeth were gone because she needed widening. Her braces are being done as a single phase. She got the top braces first and had those for about 8 months before she got the bottom braces. The ortho needed to widen the top first because her upper arch was much narrower than her lower jaw. She was wearing grooves in her teeth from the crossbite and the upper braces fixed that. Then he added the bottom braces. Once he made enough space with the braces, he attached brackets to her fangs to pull those into the correct positions. Now he has to widen just a bit more to fit in one more of each adult tooth on top and bottom.

Edited by AngieW in Texas