Menu

Anyone started MCT in the middle??

dietmom

I have a 5th grader--so am a little concerned starting with Grammar Island. Anyone started at the beginning before with an older child. We just started HS this semester after ps for 2 years. We are loving it--but our grammar/writing program is completely BORING for him. HE has adored LOF so thought I'd give MCT a try. If we start right in on Town next semester will it make no sense??

I think Town is a great place to start a 5th grader. The story line in Paragraph Town is completely different from the one in Sentence Island, so you don't need to worry about that. Grammar Town is mostly review from Grammar Island. And Caesar's English is nothing like Building Language. We're only a few pages into Bulding Poems, so I can't tell you how that compares to Music of the Hemispheres. When I flipped through the book at the beginning of the year, it looked like it reviewed a lot of things from MotH, but at a faster pace.

I started my fifth grader (last year) in the middle of the year with TOWN. She loved it, did very well with it. Actually, we did Grammar Voyage and then went to Paragraph Town -- it was exactly where she needed to be.

This year she is doing WWW/ML and she is taking an IEW writing course taught by an IEW instructor (dd has been doing IEW since 2nd grade so it is a good fit for us).

Would you start a sixth grader at the same place or higher? I think my son might enjoy this program.

I think you need to look at where his writing is. Is he able to write clear, well-structured paragraphs? If not, Town would be a good place to start. One of my friends just started MCT with her 6th grader. She's using Voyage level, but as the year goes on, she is now considering going back to Paragraph Town, b/c his writing is just not up to the level that it needs to be at for Essay Voyage.

I started my 4th grader in Island. I was torn between Island or Town level for him. But I also had a 1st grader so I figured if I bought Island and it was too easy for my 4th grader, I would use it later w/ my younger kids. We LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Island level. My 1st grader did absolutely fine with it as well so it was great family time. Now we're down Town level. We're still in the beginning of Paragraph Town but I expect the writing, to the level I will expect, will be challenging for my 5th grader and just the right level for him. AFter doing Island level, my then 4th grader scored extremely high on MAP test which is a computer adaptive test.

Definitely choose the level based on DC's writing. The writing is the most challenging part.