Menu

Oak Meadow

*Jessica*

I've discovered that while we love the idea of a classical education, it's not entirely what we want for our children at this stage. So we've started adding some Waldorf elements to our day, and things are so much more fun and exciting! But I'm exhausted trying to come up with ideas on my own. I've been interested in Oak Meadow for a while, but my husband told me last night that he thinks I should just go ahead and buy it as soon as we have the money. Yay! However, with the holidays upon us, it will probably be February before I have the funds to purchase it. I want to start doing as much as I can right now to ease the transition. Can anyone help me with the following questions?

What does a week with Oak Meadow look like for a first grader? What can I do now to start the transition?

Thanks!

I don't have OM 1, but I would recommend getting The Heart of Learning and The Home Process Manual. Those are used in K-3. HOL is more about child development, and the HPM is more specific about techniques used in OM (watercolor, form drawing, etc.). You can sometimes find them used.

In 3rd grade and I think 2nd (so maybe 1st too?) you read a short story at bedtime and the child retells the story in the morning, along with a drawing. You could use Aesop's fables or some type of fairy tale collection for that.

Guest Cindie2dds

Just to let you know, they are offering 20% off until the end of November. They have a sale in May also, but this is unusual.

What OM 1 looks like. It is seasonally based at this age, nature-oriented, and specifically familiarizing your child with the community around them through field trips and activities. Circle time, songs, fingerplays, rhymes, music, and lots of art.

HTH!

I don't have OM 1, but I would recommend getting The Heart of Learning and The Home Process Manual. Those are used in K-3. HOL is more about child development, and the HPM is more specific about techniques used in OM (watercolor, form drawing, etc.). You can sometimes find them used.

In 3rd grade and I think 2nd (so maybe 1st too?) you read a short story at bedtime and the child retells the story in the morning, along with a drawing. You could use Aesop's fables or some type of fairy tale collection for that.

Thank you. I wish I had the money to buy them, even used, but until the holidays are over I'm outta luck! We'll start the bedtime story with morning retelling and drawing. Thanks!

Just to let you know, they are offering 20% off until the end of November. They have a sale in May also, but this is unusual.

What OM 1 looks like. It is seasonally based at this age, nature-oriented, and specifically familiarizing your child with the community around them through field trips and activities. Circle time, songs, fingerplays, rhymes, music, and lots of art.

HTH!

I saw that they are on sale right now. Unfortnately, I'm all out of money. I'll just have to pay the higher price, or find used copies once I have some funds. Or convince my parents to buy it for me for Christmas! :tongue_smilie: Somehow they never want to do things like that, insisting that the gift should be something for me. I try to tell them that things that make homeschooling easier or more enjoyable ARE for me, but they don't see it that way. Thank you for the run down on what it's like at this age.

Maybe you could try to find it used online. Even if you can only find an older edition, they're still great! I bought a set of K all the way through 8 used from someone online... they're like 1998 editions but they're still really good, and I don't feel like we're missing out. There are some differences but a lot of it is still the same.

If you haven't already read this, it sums up what OM1 is all about:

http://www.oakmeadow.com/curriculum/first-grade.php

(I haven't actually used OM1 yet, I did a couple of months of OMK with my son before deciding to stop for now and try again next year, and I've done a year of OM4 with my daughter, and we're now a few months into OM5). I love OM!

Guest Cindie2dds

Yep. I would try the yahoo groups OM_HS and waldorf curriculum supplies. They always have used copies. Nance is right, the base material and layout is the same, just the addition of color and a few more suggestions has been added.

Good luck!

Or convince my parents to buy it for me for Christmas! :tongue_smilie: Somehow they never want to do things like that, insisting that the gift should be something for me. I try to tell them that things that make homeschooling easier or more enjoyable ARE for me, but they don't see it that way.

That's exactly how my DH is. I have a huge Amazon wish list labeled "Home Schooling" and he refuses to buy me anything off that list. He says that I should buy whatever I want for school and that things on that list aren't for me. But he doesn't understand that I can't really justify buying EVERY book I would like them to have or that would make our homeschooling journey easier for me. I remember one time I got so excited because he told me he'd bought the first five books on my wish list, and I thought he meant my homeschooling wish list, since that's what I'd been asking for. Then I was (secretly) disappointed when I found out it was from my personal wish list. :lol: