Menu

Math filler for 2nd grader?

brownie

DS is 2/3 through Singapore 4A but he and I feel like he needs to slow down a little. Developmentally we seem to be bumping up against a wall or he just needs some time to absorb it. He is able to execute the algorithms but I don't think he's really understanding it fully anymore. I need to fill some time. Today he is doing Sudoku and Logic problems (you know the grid ones with clues). I've let him play chess and help his little brother with zoombinis but if I overdo this, I'll never get him back to school.

He's done CWP. I have a Math Olympiad book but too many of them are still beyond his ability to work independently. He got halfway through LOF fractions and liked it (he even wrote a Haiku about Fred) but then announced it too difficult to continue on his own. I'd rather save it for when he's ready to work on his own since he was doing so nicely on his own...I told him how proud I was that he could disappear for half an hour and teach himself without getting distracted or frustrated.

Any other ideas of real yet supplementary type math...enjoyable is good yet still real work?

Brownie

I just picked up Zacarro's Primary Challenge Math. It has chapters on a lot of topics from money to algebra but is written to advanced 1st-3rd graders. My ds6 loves it and it's the first book he hasn't been able to race through because it is pretty challenging. He can work through the first 2 levels in each chapter leaving the harder 2 levels for later. It is a great filler which is what I bought it for as well since I'm waiting to place a big curriculum order after Christmas. There is also Challenge Math for 4-6th graders.

Zaccaro sounds good. Having seen one of the books, which book do you think we should pick up if I have an 8 year old who knows how to reduce and to add fractions, do long division and multiple-digit multiplication...in other words knows most of 4th grade math? Brownie

Math for Smarty Pants and the I Hate Mathematics Book. I credit these more than anything else with developing the enjoyment of mathematics which caused me to major in it at university.

Also possibly consider side-stepping to something like MEP, since it's free you could try a few worksheets.

Zaccaro sounds good. Having seen one of the books, which book do you think we should pick up if I have an 8 year old who knows how to reduce and to add fractions, do long division and multiple-digit multiplication...in other words knows most of 4th grade math? Brownie

I'd still start with the Primary book. The book takes into account that the child is advanced so it won't be covering typical 1-3 grade topics. My ds is almost done with 2B (plus exploring algebraic concepts and negative numbers on his own) and is really at the entry level for the book. There are sample chapters and tables of contents for both books at Prufrock Press so you could see if your ds is beyond the first book.