Menu

Great Homeschool Convention?

Aubrey

I'm planning to go to the one in Philly, and I'm not Christian. I do know that the organizers are, and that some of the speakers are speaking from a worldview perspective, but it looks to me like there will be enough secular content to satisfy those of who aren't looking for Christian content. Maybe you could suggest him to the organizers and see if they're interested before contacting him again?

I'm planning to go to the one in Philly, and I'm not Christian. I do know that the organizers are, and that some of the speakers are speaking from a worldview perspective, but it looks to me like there will be enough secular content to satisfy those of who aren't looking for Christian content. Maybe you could suggest him to the organizers and see if they're interested before contacting him again?

That's kind-of what I was thinking, but a) I wanted to first make sure it wasn't going to be something highly uncomfortable for a person who isn't a Christian & b) well...I don't know the etiquette on this kind of thing. Do I ask them first if they'd invite him, or do I ask him first if it's ok if I ask them to invite him?

I assume this is all moot for this year--although it would be nice if it's not!

Thanks for your thoughts! :001_smile:

I do know that featured speakers are already set for this year; however, they are still accepting vendors and most conventions have openings for vendor workshops. Being an outwardly Christian-based convention, I know they won't accept any workshops that would speak against Christianity. That doesn't mean they won't accept secular workshops, as long as they're neutral. It also doesn't mean that there won't be plenty for secular or non-Christian hs'ers - just that there will be a Christian focus.

He would have to be a vendor in order to get a workshop this year, and would have to have the workshops approved. This is mostly due to a limited number of workshops - they work to make sure that there aren't three of the same thing going, or whatever. He may be able to get in as a speaker in a future year, though, depending on what his topics are and their relevance to homeschooling. I don't know of him, so I couldn't say any farther than that.

(As a convention rep for the curric my son uses, I often speak as both a vendor and a speaker at various conventions around the country. This is what I've found at pretty much every convention I've worked with. When I speak, it's regarding either the product I represent or a certain method of teaching, or occasionally on working with special needs kids. It has nothing to do with religious beliefs at all, either way.)

I would send him the link and see what he thinks - it would be up to him to contact the coordinators.

Edited by Kates

I'm going to Mid South this year b/c I live in that town. Hope you can make it too! (I realize you'd hoping for info to be able to suggest a speaker, but just thought I'd share my experience about conventions)

When I lived in Indiana, I attended this same convention (organized by same people, same purpose) in Cincy. Brenda linked to the official stuff. Thought I'd share my Cincy experience.

When compared to other conventions that are very "Christian" focus (and that means one way to dress, and a bunch of things that I don't do and yada yada yada), I was very happy to attend Cincy. I'm a Christian, but I tend to not fit in at the "super conservative Christian conferences." kwim? The Great Homeschool Convention had a wide variety of options. There were some "super conservative speakers". But then there were Christians who were speaking on homeschooling (like SWB). The variety of the Great Homeschool Conventions (cincy model going to memphis) is what really makes it different. It's has just enough "classical"; just enough eclectic, just enough Christian, and tons and tons and tons of teaching workshops.

I found it had an atmosphere that was more about homeschooling and teaching and less on religion/political. It is still going to have a Christian flavor in there, but not so much that I ran out.

then again, I am a Christian, so I can't predict how you'd feel. But I hope you get a chance to try it out in Memphis. Definitely very different from what this town is use to. ;)

-crystal

Edited by cbollin

That's kind-of what I was thinking, but a) I wanted to first make sure it wasn't going to be something highly uncomfortable for a person who isn't a Christian & b) well...I don't know the etiquette on this kind of thing. Do I ask them first if they'd invite him, or do I ask him first if it's ok if I ask them to invite him?

When I have wanted an exhibitor to attend a convention, I have emailed the exhibitor or call them directly and have a link and info about the conference to give to them.

Sometimes they are interested in going, other times they weren't willing to go unless they got a workshop.

Then, I also at the same time contacted the local organizers of the conference and asked them if they had invited the people I'm interested in. They told me to invite the exhibitor to apply.

It might be a big step up for the author you are interested in. I don't know if he does conferences. Some authors just aren't interested in the convention process either.

I've seen some "online" conventions and webinars. Maybe that approach would help your favorite author get a start and begin to draw an audience so he gets name recognition to go big time circuit.

some conventions are very strict on who is allowed in and which books the sellers are permitted to sell. Other conventions are more flexible as long as it isn't "anti" Christian were it would really upset a lot of people.

But, go ahead and contact the person you are interested in and be ready with the link to the "exhibitor info". Then, let him take care of it.

-crystal

Aubrey...:D

I wanted to let you know that first of all, this particular (set of) convention(s), although Christian based, have been striving to serve the most Homeschoolers that they can and still remain true to their core audience. They have been not only receptive to secular/academic speakers, vendors and workshops... they have actively sought advice from "other" homeschoolers for vendors & speakers that they might not know about but would be a good addition.

So, although it might be on the late side, there is no harm in trying.

I had sent them a list with lots o' people on it, and I know that a few will now be there (Ed Zaccarro is one that I suggested). I don't know what might have been factors for getting some of these people in, logistics/cost/ dates/other stuff....

Their statement pretty much says it all. As long as something is not ANTI Christian, they should be open to it. But, being open doesn't mean they just let anyone in either. ;) I know that at our convention (they are all a bit different) that there are several secular/non-religious/academic/gifted/odd vendors and speakers. Honestly, most of the speakers are Christian, but if the subject is right, and can help me homeschool better, I am a big girl, I can handle it.

These people have made incredible strides in the past few years. I was at the very first one (at a little place), the second (same place, worse convention), and both they have had so far at the downtown convention center. They have been responsive to most complaints/suggestions that they have gotten and really put on a great convention.

I am not sure if they will go with Steve, mostly because he is a small independent author with only a few books. If he were able to get a small flyer together, maybe they could include it in the packet ($$) or you could ask RFWP to have it at their booth.

Send an email, it can't hurt.

I am not sure if they will go with Steve, mostly because he is a small independent author with only a few books. If he were able to get a small flyer together, maybe they could include it in the packet

:iagree:

yep. That could be an easy way for him to advertise and get the name recognition started. I don't know the costs. But definitely a route to look into

In terms of one exhibitor leaving another exhibitors info at a booth, sometimes they have rules/restrictions on that kind of "sharing" and such.

but yeah, the "vendor bags" are an option.

Oh, thanks, guys! Brenda, the link you gave completely answered my questions.

Cbollin, your experience is what I was hoping to hear. I'm a Christian, too, but I'd be embarrassed to suggest a Christian convention to someone of a different faith if they were then made to feel...well, bad in some way.

W/ a statement of faith, it can still be hard to tell the "flavor" of the convention, & I remember a few yrs back, there was a convention that uninvited...was it Usborne or SL? Maybe it was SL because they were using Usborne books?

Anyway, I just didn't want to bring someone into something like *that.* (Not that I'm bringing anybody anywhere--hopefully you kwim.)

I tend to overthink things, too, though, so please--don't mind me. :001_smile:

I remember a few yrs back, there was a convention that uninvited...was it Usborne or SL? Maybe it was SL because they were using Usborne books?

Anyway, I just didn't want to bring someone into something like *that.* (Not that I'm bringing anybody anywhere--hopefully you kwim.)

I tend to overthink things, too, though, so please--don't mind me. :001_smile:

I know what you mean. May not be fully awake this morning, but. yeah...

If I were inviting a friend to an event and I knew it would very uncomfortable or unloving situation, I'd avoid it too. I'm sensitive to that when inviting the in laws to come watch kids stuff at church. They aren't against church, but it's not who they are. I'm overthinking it too.

I was trying to find a way to politely say that I think the GHC organizers are trying to be the opposite of that kind of incident that you referenced about that sad thing that happened to that company. Screening materials, but not that rather extreme extent.

I should go eat my breakfast and teach and practice my exercise routines before teaching them this afternoon. I wonder.... could I do a table at the memphis convention for the fitness place I work????? :lol:

we use "secular" music and shake it. :lol:

-crystal

I was brought up in the Lutheran church, and went to an Assembly of God school, followed by a Baptist high school, so I'm familiar with most things Christian. As an adult, I have decided not to practice a religion and have my own relationship with what I consider to be "the life force being".

Dh is Jewish, and I can say that the Midwest Homeschool Convention that I attended last year would be way too Christiany for him. I managed to choose speakers that had valid things to say about homeschooling without offending my world view. I really enjoyed the conference and I am looking forward to attending this year. There were plenty of interesting vendors that were not necessarily pushing a Christian product. Many were, but I just passed by their booths.

Dh is Jewish, and I can say that the Midwest Homeschool Convention that I attended last year would be way too Christiany for him. I managed to choose speakers that had valid things to say about homeschooling without offending my world view. I really enjoyed the conference and I am looking forward to attending this year. There were plenty of interesting vendors that were not necessarily pushing a Christian product. Many were, but I just passed by their booths.

I don't see what a person's religion has to do with it being too Christiany or not. ;) I am an agnostic, just on this side of being an Atheist... and I see no problem with the convention. I know that a majority of homeschoolers and HS vendors are Christian, and that I am a minority. I walk into the place knowing that. It is not a big surprise. I know going in that a lot of HS stuff will be over the top for me, and it doesn't bother me. I can pass by a booth that is selling Creationist materials and not be offended, or bothered. Most of the convention IS Christian centered or leaning, but being in a giant group of HSers is exhilarating! We are HSers first, our religion or reasons for HSing are secondary.

As a secular homeschooler, it is harder to find material that is homeschool friendly. I have no problem supporting a convention who can carve a small part out for us. At least they are trying. They are listening.

MAybe later I will compile a list of the secular vendors/speakers....

gotta teach these kids...:tongue_smilie:

This is what I could do this morning off the Cincinnati list of vendors. I did not check everything, this was just a top of my head general overview. I know there are many more whole have no or a neutral religious stance, and others that might be Christian, but not overtly so.

A few of these I know are Christian, but their products are not particularly anything. I think Lukeion is skating the line there, but I think their stuff is great and they are cool smart people.

So this is a general, secular, educational, sometimes gifted, list....

Brave Writer (Julie Bogart)

Bright Minds

Center for Talent Development (Nortwestern University)

Challenge Math (Ed Zaccaro)

Greathall Productions (Jim Weiss)

Kids Love Travel

Konstruktubes

Lukeion

Muggins Math

Nancy Larson Science

Odyssey Games

Professor Carol (Dr. Carol Reynolds)

Professor in a Box (Accounting / Dr. Michael Licata)

Rosetta Stone

Royal Fireworks Press (Michael Clay Thompson)

Scientific Publishing

Simply Fun

Teaching Textbooks

Thinkwell

Usborne Books & More

Wholemovement Geometry

Write at Home

Write Shop

Great Software Tools

Exploration Education

There are a few more science things I saw last year, that might qualify for this list, as many little companies with really boring names. All the biggies will be there too. I did not include things like Virtual schools, colleges or high school transcript booths, and all the math programs, as I just do not have the time.

HTH

Hey, we're going to the Philadelphia Convention, too! :seeya:See you there!