Menu

How long to read a day?

lisamarie

How long do you have your 2nd grader read independently per day? My DS is a strong reader and can read chapter books. I've been having him read for 45 minutes a day in what I would call "free reading." (Not tied to curriculum, just a regular book of any sort) I'm just curious if that is a good amount, too much, too little? He has never complained about the amount of time.

If he's not complaining, why change?

My 2nd grader loves to read. I don't have him read any specified amount as he just reads until he is bored, does something else, and then reads again.

I also love reading to my dc, so we are all (together) in the middle of about 3 different books that I am reading to them.

45 minutes sounds a bit much, imo. If he's enjoying it, FINE!!! I know my ds liked to show off at that age but he would also get bored to tears after 20 minutes or so & start reading in that monotone robot voice! :glare: I remember in PS they recommended 20min per day & that always seemed about right for my ds. :)

ETA: I'm talking about reading ALOUD--he would read to himself for hours if I let him!!! :D

They say that reading time should be one hour a day at that level, but that means you reading to the child for that amount of time. What I did was I allowed my child to free read as much as they wanted and then I would have a set time where I read to them for an hour. I used to break it up. I could not always do it in one setting.

I think a child reading for 20 minutes at that level is OK too. Whatever the child can do is fine.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

45 minutes sounds a bit much, imo. If he's enjoying it, FINE!!! I know my ds liked to show off at that age but he would also get bored to tears after 20 minutes or so & start reading in that monotone robot voice! :glare: I remember in PS they recommended 20min per day & that always seemed about right for my ds. :)

ETA: I'm talking about reading ALOUD--he would read to himself for hours if I let him!!! :D

I am talking specifically about silent reading--45 minutes of reading by himself. For him reading aloud to me, he does about 15-20 minutes a day and that's a good amount for us.

How long do you have your 2nd grader read independently per day? My DS is a strong reader and can read chapter books. I've been having him read for 45 minutes a day in what I would call "free reading." (Not tied to curriculum, just a regular book of any sort) I'm just curious if that is a good amount, too much, too little? He has never complained about the amount of time.

Sounds fine for that age.