Menu

(heart) Love! Dragon Naturally

RamonaQ

So, I followed the lead kindly shared from someone (sailormom?) about Dragon Naturally (older version only about $40 from Amazon). Dh installed it earlier this week, and we have it trained to (dyslexic/ dysgraphic) ds's voice. It is PHENOMENAL!!!!! Ds essays are going through the roof-- he is using FAR more sophisticated vocabulary and sentence structure. AND it isn't taking FOREVER....He is able to re-read and fix dictation software mistakes....Plus, he LOVES using it. He is honestly excited to do essays, seriously!

This, along with the iPad that does TTS of books (and bookshare.org books) are my favorite homeschool purchases of the year.

ETA: Wanting to document what has been working for us

Edited by RamonaQ

Thanks for posting your review.

I had looked at Dragon Naturally and it seemed like a good idea but I never purchased it. Then I was looking at WriteOutLoud but I believe that reads what you type.

Now I know what to get! By the way, I have not purchased the Kindle because I keep hesitating there as well.

I'm glad to see the IPad has worked well for you.

Thanks for sharing your success. Dh and I were just talking about Dragon Naturally last night as it was recommended for ds when he was evaluated this past summer. We are seriously considering it for ds.

I am also interested in the iPad. The optometrist we go to for his VT said that she and a colleague are researching all of the apps that would be very beneficial for kids needing extra help. She said if we could afford it at all, that it would be the way to go for ds and his challenges rather than something like a Kindle. So far it has been out of our reach. What have you found that works with the iPad? I can start saving!

Great to hear of your success!:001_smile:

The iPad. Well, if it helps you justify it, we consider it a "family" iPad :tongue_smilie:as we all use it and benefit from it.

However, what has been SUPER awesome is the Text to Speech that is an accessibility option. Once it is enabled, with a swipe of two fingers the iPad reads (as a robot ;-) a page of text while you can follow along with your own eyes. Ds reading tutor is a huge proponent of dyslexic kids reading along with audio. So ds can easily do this with the iPad.

At first learning to use the TTS it is a bit clunky, however, after one day ds was a master (I still am not great with it). My dh set something up so that we open a book, click the round button three times, and the book starts reading.

Recently we have discovered a way to put bookshare.org books onto the iPad and again use the TTS to read those. (it is a bit of technological obstacle course,but I think I can do it on my own now) And once the books are on the iPad, we all can read them. Ds and I just raced each other reading "The Hunger Games" in under 3 days flat-- great conversations afterward.

Yes, we dilly-dallied back and forth about the Kindle too (to which my dh says, we need both..hahaha...arghhhh!) But the benefit that I see so far is that I can download any book for free from bookshare and also I can import PDF into the iPad (and use TTS), which is really great since I know some of the online curriculum I have looked at in the past is this format. Let's see once you buy about about 37ish books from Amazon for the Kindle you would be at the cost of the iPad-- does that justify it yet ;-)

As far as apps-the kids use standard educational fare-- flashcards, hangman, math games...but that is not where I see the greatest benefit. My most favorite is the calendar....it synchs to Google so I can see dh calendar (and assign things to him :tongue_smilie:), and overlay family, church and homeschool calendars...amazing!!! I also love using it as my radio and cookbook when I am in the kitchen, and then flipping to the NYTimes to read.

This is a great thread.

Momofc&a, your comments are also very helpful.

By the way, I just started using Reading Plus. At one point in time it was commented and asked about. I can't give you a report yet because we started using it last week. So far, I like what I see.

I have never heard of Dragon Naturally, and I didn't know that stuff about the ipad. Now I'm going to have to research these things a little bit and consider them for my daughter. I'm so not technologically able (technologically ignorant is more like it), but these sound like they would be helpful for her. Maybe one of my older sons could help me figure it all out! :D I've also never heard of bookshare.

Thank you so much for sharing all this!