Menu

Educated in one place, HSing in another/Assimilation

I went to school in Singapore, moved to the US about 15 years ago and just started homeschooling DS. Having been here that long, I didn't think my background had anything to do with HSing, but guess what.. :001_huh:

So far, I've been tripped up by:

• Pronunciation differences
  • Grammar - I'm not a grammar queen, but I try to keep/pass along the rules I learned. My son may be the only one in a group who answers "I'm doing well" when asked how he's doing, while others answer "Doing good".
  • Imperial vs Metric - this one, I'm hoping for a standards change :tongue_smilie: so I can whip out my centimeter ruler instead of squint over how many eighths of an inch we're supposed to be measuring.

None of these are going to stop our homeschooling, I suppose. But it does give me pause when I watch him interact with other children (socialization, anyone?) and realize in how many infinitesimal ways he's 'different'. Homeschooling happens to magnify those ways, and give us so many more chances each day to question if a way we do something is 'right'.

We all have pronounciation differences even within the United States depending on what region you are living in or from.

You are teaching him good grammar. I don't see how that is a problem.

It's good to know both imperial and metric measuring although metric is so much better/easier for math and science.

There are a number of us who grew up in a different country than where we are homeschooling.

... and realize in how many infinitesimal ways he's 'different'. Homeschooling happens to magnify those ways, and give us so many more chances each day to question if a way we do something is 'right'.

All of our kids are "different."

I bet there's not one mom or dad on this board that hasn't already identified that one thing about their child(ren) that's different.

I don't know if it's homeschooling that magnifies it or if it's the type of parent who homeschools that magnifies it...meaning that the majority of homeschool parents are so tuned in to their dc that they know every. little. thing. about. them.

At least, I know I'm that way :tongue_smilie:.

Questioning oneself can cause some anxiety, I'll grant you that.

It can also keep you sensitive to the changing needs of your dc as he grows, which is a good thing. :)

Yep. Everyone's educational experience is different.

I also went to school in a different country and have a different cultural background than American. It does affect the way I educate and raise my children, however that doesn't mean the way I teach is wrong, we're just different ;)

I was raised in a culture that was not my parents culture (and not in the US). So apparently the term for me is 3rd culture kid- a blend of my parents culture and the culture I was raised in. I am now raising and hs-ing my children in a culture that is not the one I was raised in, so they are an interesting blend also. It makes life all the richer. we have lots of extra words for games like Scrabble and Scattegories, our opponents sometimes claim it's unfair. When kids grow up and go out in the world I think they are better of for the multi-cultural environment they grew up in.

Happy differences!

I am neither a native speaker of English nor was I familiar with the measurements, well okay by the time ds came along I knew 8oz is a cup and approximately how long an inch is but it does not matter.

None of it matters. You and your children will be fine, just fine!

Grammar - I'm not a grammar queen, but I try to keep/pass along the rules I learned. My son may be the only one in a group who answers "I'm doing well" when asked how he's doing, while others answer "Doing good".

:D

Someone in my life impressed on me the difference between "doing good" vs "doing well" and I worked on it until it's second nature now. My kids are probably going to grow up saying "doing well" because I cringe when I hear "good" used in its place.

we compromise on some things and not on others. so we use metric for everything, but to belong in the culture, we have learned fahrenheit and use it. same thing when asked how we are; if the accent of the questioner is local, we all cheerfully answer "we're doin' good thanks". if it isn't, the response is "fine thank you, and you?" we refer to it as being "bilingual", although we do all speak at least two other languages, and most of us three.

and we use grammar and math from singapore ; )

ann

Thanks everyone! Some great points here, and it's reassuring to hear from others in the same boat.

elfgivas: I like your suggestion about how you decide which form to use based on the speaker. And I'm definitely a happier mom if I can use metric at home :) .

It's funny - I think a part of this 'wanting to belong' came from my school experience, and I'm projecting it onto my son who has none of that. Maybe he'll just take all these differences in stride! I hope he will adapt as cheerfully and well as you all have.