Menu

What is your favorite Latin Program ?

TracyR

I've been looking at Prima Latina . Are there other ones out there ? I am needed something that is easy to use ( since I've never taken Latin myself ) , inexpensive , and does a good job at teaching the language .

We used Powerglide Spanish and French and it wasn't a very good program for us . My girls didn't learn much from it at all . I would like something that they will actually learn from .

Also something I can used with my soon to be K , 4th and 5th graders.

Well, it's early days here (i.e., just finished the first two weeks) but we're really liking Lively Latin! We tried Latin for Children at the beginning of last year and all disliked it. I've kind of had a mental block about Latin ever since, as a matter of fact, and so have my kids.

But so far, Lively Latin is really living up to its name and reputation. It's SO easy to teach, and the explanations are clear and understandable. I love that it includes plenty of worksheets and review, so I don't have to go hunting for ways to supplement it. I love that it includes fun things like history and picture studies to break up the grammar and vocabulary. I love that not only does no one groan when we break out the Latin, but my kids are falling all over themselves to outdo one another when we chant and review vocabulary.

There are plenty of more experienced Lively Latin users here who can tell you more, I'm sure, but so far so good!

SBP

What did you not like about Latin for Children?

My biggest problem with it was that there wasn't nearly enough review for my children. The workbooks introduced the vocabulary and grammar for the chapter and then gave one worksheet to practice the new material, one quiz, and then we were done with that chapter and moving on to another. Even reviewing the vocabulary and chants orally - which we did pretty faithfully - my kids still needed more practice. At that time, the LfC website did have some supplemental worksheets to help address this problem, but they were kind of disorganized and hit or miss, and frankly, I didn't want to be bothered searching for them. I love that Lively Latin has it all right there and that the chapters are fleshed out with other material (the history, art, etc.) that you can be working on while the memory work is settling into place in their brains.

Another gripe - which might have been attended to in the interim - was that there were quite a few errors in LfC, including whole pages that were completely wrong. Either they didn't match up with the answer key at all, or they covered a whole chunk of material that hadn't been introduced.

I think if we'd been using LfC in a co-op setting with a knowledgeable teacher, or if I'd known any Latin myself, we could have made it work. As it was, after 3 months or so, I didn't see my children reaping sufficient benefit from it to continue devoting time to it.

SBP

I've been looking at Prima Latina . Are there other ones out there ? I am needed something that is easy to use ( since I've never taken Latin myself ) , inexpensive , and does a good job at teaching the language .

We used Powerglide Spanish and French and it wasn't a very good program for us . My girls didn't learn much from it at all . I would like something that they will actually learn from .

Also something I can used with my soon to be K , 4th and 5th graders.

For K, look at Prima latina or Song School Latin.

For 4th and 5th, my recommendations are Latin Prep or Lively Latin.

:)

Try purchasing Prima Latina and do about half the book yourself. If you like it, then start the kids. We have used the series from Memoria Press (currently in Henle) for over 4 years, and really like the way it is laid out. Plus, Henle is a good self-teaching text if the kids become inspired beyond your ability to stay ahead of them!

Pat

I appreciate your response. I, too, think that lots of review is important. We really get that with Latin in the Christian Trivium. Leading up to that we used Prima Latina, LC I, and LC II. I really appreciated the DVDs for the program (didn't use them for PL). When we got to LitCT, I really started to dig in, deciding that I was going to have to learn Latin right along with my ds. I hope you find a program you like, because learning Latin together is one of the best parts of our school day.

We tried Prima Latina followed by LC, and nearly perished of boredom.

We floundered around for awhile, and then I got a great deal on Latin for Children, so we gave it a try. My 12yo adores this program. She wants to use Spanish for Children. Heck, she wants to use Greek for Children. Any language program by CAP sounds good to her. Unfortunately, I can't pin her down on what it is that fascinates her about it. I know it isn't the DVDs. We had the original DVD for Level A -- the really quirky ones before they got all professional -- and she liked that simply because you never knew what to expect next.

She is on level B. She pretty much does it all by herself. She dutiful chants all the chants. Sometimes we take a few days to work on some Lingua Latina, too.

I think the errors have been taken care of, for the most part.

Okay, I have to put in a good word for Latin for Children. We love it at our house! I feel like there is plenty of practice if you purchase the activity book along with the student text and DVD. There are 3-4 pages of fun activity/puzzles that help in remembering the vocabulary and grammar per chapter. The DVD is so well done and it is fun to watch. My 5th grader is really enjoying it. We both do it together, and I look forward to each lesson, as does he. We practice our chants a few times a week, do most of the activity pages, the student worksheet and quiz. We are retaining it all very well.

Smiles,

Shalynn

We're on lesson 21 of LFC A and are moving along nicely. They did update their materials, both the book and DVDs so have fixed many of the problems. We love the new DVDs. I do think they could do a better job of including more review and the pages feel cluttered to me. But, we've worked out the bugs and have learned quite a bit this year. My son was a 3rd grader this year, so I've slowed the pace a bit as there is a bunch of grammar in this series.

Good luck!

Josie

Edited to add...I've had no latin myself.

We tried Lively Latin and had a hard time getting into a good routine with it. My kids truded through it but were not loving it.

We just started LFC and it is such a refreshing program and they are doing much better. They keep asking to watch the DVD and I find them singing the chants throughout the day.

For us, LFC just explains things better and is easier to use.

I am really happy with this. We just started it this year, after using Prima Latina and then LC1 with my oldest and Prima Latina with my 2nd. I moved them both to LP1 this year and we're doing well. I never learned the latin along with my dc during the PL & LC1 -- I just let them do it with the DVDs and corrected the pages. Now, I'm learning along side them and enjoying it. I love the fact that we can use LP1, then LP2 then LP3 then SYRWLL3 and then they'll be translating the classics and ready for AP tests or whatever. That sounds like plenty of Latin for a lifetime for a typical kid. :) I was freaking about what to do after LC2 -- Henle, etc. Sounded intimidating to me. LP is very methodical and entertaining. I feel like it is more rigorous than the other programs I've seen. I'm very happy.

So, I'd suggest looking at Latin Prep for your 4th & 5th graders. I'd leave the Ker out of the mix for a while. My dd5 will be "K" next year and already likes Latin. If she is still gung ho to do Latin, I might use Prima Latina with her when she is 7 or 8 and, and then go to Latin Prep. If I can hold her off on Latin until she's 8 or 9 and ready to go straight to Latin Prep, I think that would be great. The little ones do like the prayer memorization from PL and LC, but other than that, I think LP is a much stronger program in my limited experience.

I love Latin Prep too, but I think that - apart from special circumstances - nine would be the very youngest I would recommend starting it. Ten is a safer age. Stephanie is succeeding with it, but many 8yo would be completely overwhelmed.

Best wishes

Laura

but she didn't start out that way. She started out with Prima Latina and just couldn't get into it. I just decided to put it aside and try Latina Christiana I the next year, since I had already bought it, and she loved it!!. I am not sure if it was the DVD's or just that she was a year older but it is now her favorite subject.

We have tried a lot of programs, but I love Lively Latin. We supplement with Minimus and now Minimus Secundus, and with Cambridge Unit I. My son is 10.

And for my Latin learning, I can't recommend Lingua Latina highly enough.

-Kim in Iowa

We did Prima Latina and the first half of Latina Christiana... and at that point ds was just plain bored! We switched to Minimus (now Minimus Secundus) for this year, and it has been great... he loves the stories, the colorful pictures, etc. I like the inclusion of actual archeological and mythological Roman content as well.

I think we'll be moving on to Latin Prep, eventually aiming for Cambridge.

Maybe it's just a British think, ya know?