Menu

Should I take a harder geometry course?

Right now I am using Mcdougal Littel's Geometry Concepts and Skills, this is just a supplement for right now, but I need to start picking out my new curriculum next week, or my mom will choose for me. I was thinking of using MUS geometry, but maybe I need to use something that will prepare me better for pre-calc/calculus?

Any help is appreciated!

Right now I am using Mcdougal Littel's Geometry Concepts and Skills, this is just a supplement for right now, but I need to start picking out my new curriculum next week, or my mom will choose for me. I was thinking of using MUS geometry, but maybe I need to use something that will prepare me better for pre-calc/calculus?

Any help is appreciated!

I didn't use MUS geometry, but I am using Pre-calc. When I began, I thought it was way too easy.

Now, at Lesson 10, I am struggling.

Is there a particular reason you think MUS geometry might be too easy? I really like how they build off old lessons. Worksheets for lesson 10 have problems from lesson 6 on them and such. They build off of what you learned before, and incorporate it into your new worksheets and tests. IMO, this is an awesome tool, especially for higher level math.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

I didn't use MUS geometry, but I am using Pre-calc. When I began, I thought it was way too easy.

Now, at Lesson 10, I am struggling.

Is there a particular reason you think MUS geometry might be too easy? I really like how they build off old lessons. Worksheets for lesson 10 have problems from lesson 6 on them and such. They build off of what you learned before, and incorporate it into your new worksheets and tests. IMO, this is an awesome tool, especially for higher level math.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

I have heard that MUS is a easy program to work through, and I didn't know if their geometry program would be too easy or just right. I want to be prepared for pre calc/calculus, and I know I have to do proofs and things like that. Would you mind telling me why you chose MUS over Lials?

Thanks!

We like Life of Fred, but you do need someone who is able to mark your proofs, since there is more than one way to prove things and the answer key only shows one.

Yea, the proofs would be a problem, especially because my parents aren't very strong in math. This is going to be a tough one!

We are big fans of the Art of Problem Solving Geometry book. It is designed to be self-teaching, and it demands a lot of you as a student. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Blessings,

April

I have heard of the Aops book, and I am not sure it is for me. I never really got the best education in math, it's good, but I know it can be a lot better, so this may be a problem. :001_huh:

I have heard that MUS is a easy program to work through, and I didn't know if their geometry program would be too easy or just right. I want to be prepared for pre calc/calculus, and I know I have to do proofs and things like that. Would you mind telling me why you chose MUS over Lials?

Thanks!

I guess the main reason I chose it over Lials is because it was all laid out. Lials is easy to split up, though.

I also like the video component. Lials has that also, but I couldn't find it anywhere and all the people selling it on Amazon were vague and didn't have the best seller stats.

I guess the main reason I chose it over Lials is because it was all laid out. Lials is easy to split up, though.

I also like the video component. Lials has that also, but I couldn't find it anywhere and all the people selling it on Amazon were vague and didn't have the best seller stats.

I agree, and thank you for the help. I may choose MUS geometry, or I could find another program as I search.:001_rolleyes: Choosing a curriculum can be hard!:D

Yea, the proofs would be a problem, especially because my parents aren't very strong in math. This is going to be a tough one!

. :001_huh:

Have you heard and/or considered taking Jann in TX's online Geometry? Of course, that might have to be next year, though.

Edited by Karin

Yes I have and I love the way they are. Is a proof based geometry course required for algebra 2 and pre-calc?

I'm not sure, but there are other, more important reasons to take proof based Geometry if you're going to take it. People like Charon (no longer on the board, aka Adrian on the old boards) and the current math gurus et al can explain it better than I can, but it has a lot to do with logic, seeing flaws in arguments, etc, etc. It's worth the work in the long run. Easy for me to say now that I'm well past high school;). My dc have to do it because of this, and, to be fair, it was my eldest's least favourite part of Geometry when they got tricky, but I can already see the benefit even fi she doesn't. Otherwise, she loves Geometry, and I think it does help her when she has to do proofs in Algebra 2, but I can't say for sure how much she needed the Geometry proofs to do these.

I'm not sure, but there are other, more important reasons to take proof based Geometry if you're going to take it. People like Charon (no longer on the board, aka Adrian on the old boards) and the current math gurus et al can explain it better than I can, but it has a lot to do with logic, seeing flaws in arguments, etc, etc. It's worth the work in the long run. Easy for me to say now that I'm well past high school;). My dc have to do it because of this, and, to be fair, it was my eldest's least favourite part of Geometry when they got tricky, but I can already see the benefit even fi she doesn't. Otherwise, she loves Geometry, and I think it does help her when she has to do proofs in Algebra 2, but I can't say for sure how much she needed the Geometry proofs to do these.

Thank you very much Karin, I will post another question to see what I can find. This is a great help!