Menu

I have dropped the ball :(

Dd12's school load is so light she might as well be doing 4th grade. Advice would say it's a simple matter to toss some programs together and call it a day, but I just have rotten luck with programs that are not scheduled out. It's not a lack of experience because I've been homeschooling for 10 years now!

Here is her schedule:

Homeschool classes: biology and literature that meet for 1 hour per week. There is homework but it is slight to say the least. This is her 2nd year with these classes, and this has been the only time we've ever gotten Science done consistently.

Math-U-See Algebra that takes her 30 mins. a day.

Today I ordered Keystone 8th grade English. It should really bump up her Lang. Arts.

And that's it! I wish I could get her some other Keystone classes because at least we actually do the work but they are too expensive to order anything else at this time. (It's time to pay for my next college semester. Ouch!)

Seriously, if you were in my position what would you do? She's very smart and most of the programs we've tried are just so easy that we get bored and stop doing it. Some days I really hate homeschooling because I feel like she should be doing so much more, but I'm just not good at finding and implementing appropriate materials for her.

I guess this is more of a vent. Today is a bad day and I feel like kicking myself.

:grouphug:

Think about it this way, at least you are getting some of the most important stuff done.

Sometimes, you need to take a little break.

Once you let yourself calm down a bit, stop kicking yourself and see what your goals really are and how to get there. Look up the requirements for each grade in your state. Look at the World Book grade guidelines. Then apply your own goals to them. I am sure she will be way ahead on some things. Other things are silly.

Maybe you can add some history reading, or an interest based study.

It will be ok. Have a talk with your daughter, and remember that hormones make all of this even harder, and sometimes a light load isn't the worst thing that can happen.

My children are very bright and don't take long to get through conventional materials. I decided to have them study Latin and Greek, and increased my reading and writing requirements.

In your daughter's situation, I would probably start by assigning extra books in literature, history, and science. (I don't necessarily mean textbooks; popular history/science books and modern literature would be terrific supplements to what she is already doing.)

I would sit down with her and together come up with something more challenging. Then make a daily schedule so that she is responsible for filling in completed assignments.

Maybe a list of novels to read and discuss--she can even come up with discussion questions or find study guides online.

Maybe some science lab activites, again she can be partly responsible for helping get a schedule and required supplies ready. The same with arts and crafts kind of projects.

Patty Paper geometry is a nice addition we use during algebra to get ready for geometry.

Some kind of word/logic puzzles. These could even be crossword/variety puzzel books from the grocery store or there are all kinds available online.

Foriegn language would be nice too.

If you need something planned out, try Oak Meadow history&English. Only do the history-based writing assignments under English (almost all the writing assignments are based on history). My 7th grade dd is doing Oak Meadow 6 this year (used SL until now). OM6 has a lot of writing, at least 1 writing assignment each week. I only require my dd to do one writing assignment/week and let her choose which one to do.

Don't beat yourself up. If you need a reality check, take a look at what her counterparts are learning in public school. I know for me personally, your daughter far surpassed me in what she's currently studying when I was her age. I agree with the previous commenter who suggested focusing on giving her good historical literature to read.

Don't beat yourself up. If you need a reality check, take a look at what her counterparts are learning in public school. I know for me personally, your daughter far surpassed me in what she's currently studying when I was her age. I agree with the previous commenter who suggested focusing on giving her good historical literature to read.

So true. My oldest is taking French I at the local high school. Last week he got an A on his chapter test...

his Chapter 1 Test.:001_huh:

Okay, what I'm hearing mostly is logic (she does sudoku and mind benders for fun really), historical literature and a foreign language. I remembered Paula's Archives and found a list of Sonlight books by WTM stages and of course there is always the list in the WTM. Maybe I should start there.

What about a foreign language? We tried Rosetta Stone Level 1 french and she really didn't like it. Neither did I actually. Dare I start a new thread on a good foreign lang. program? I guess I will.

Thank you ladies. You've helped me feel better. It's true her load is light but it's also true that what she's doing, she's doing well. She wants to start high school early but I told her she would need to show me she can handle the work load. That's why we're starting Keystone's 8th grade English.

Okay, I would get Writing Strands 3 or 4 (depending on her skills). I'm guessing that Keystone is for Grammar.

Vocabulary from Classical Roots. Dd just started and LOVES it.

Logic from Memoria Press, another class dd enjoys.

Do you have a Kingfisher History Encyclopedia? If you do, I would have her start working on reading her way through whatever history cycle she would be in and outlining. Dd reads a section, outlines, adds to her timeline, does small bio pages on important people and then writes a short paper on an additional pertinent thing (see TWTM). She does not do map work, but she does look the areas up on the globe, in the atlas, and on our wall map.

That would get you covering reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary, math, logic, science and history. :D

We've only gotten started in a lot of subjects with dd, because she was pulled this year... oh and it took me forever to get enough funds to order everything.

Okay, I would get Writing Strands 3 or 4 (depending on her skills). I'm guessing that Keystone is for Grammar.

The Keystone program is a full traditional English program like you would find in a traditional school setting. It covers writing, vocabulary, literature, and even a speech presentation.

Do you have a Kingfisher History Encyclopedia?

I actually don't know what encylopedias I have downstairs! I was flipping through TWTM looking at the different stages. Tomorrow I'm going to ask her to help me choose a period of history and then branch from there. Going the WTM route would certainly save me some money. I think I'll probably follow your plan and have her start with the encyclopedia, write mini-reports and read historical books, both fiction and non-fiction. I just need a decent list to go by. I am thinking about using the Sonlight lists but I can't find my SL catalog! Eek! :)

How about just reading both fiction and non-fiction books with her and discussing them? Set aside an hour daily to read and discuss together. Read recommend lit from TWTM but also choose books that just interest both of you. I'd try to include some non-fiction in there if your not getting in enough history or science. How about one of the Hakim science books? There are sooooo many good books to read. :001_smile: Just do it.

Dd12's school load is so light she might as well be doing 4th grade. Advice would say it's a simple matter to toss some programs together and call it a day, but I just have rotten luck with programs that are not scheduled out. It's not a lack of experience because I've been homeschooling for 10 years now!

Here is her schedule:

Homeschool classes: biology and literature that meet for 1 hour per week. There is homework but it is slight to say the least. This is her 2nd year with these classes, and this has been the only time we've ever gotten Science done consistently.

Math-U-See Algebra that takes her 30 mins. a day.

Today I ordered Keystone 8th grade English. It should really bump up her Lang. Arts.

And that's it! I wish I could get her some other Keystone classes because at least we actually do the work but they are too expensive to order anything else at this time. (It's time to pay for my next college semester. Ouch!)

Seriously, if you were in my position what would you do? She's very smart and most of the programs we've tried are just so easy that we get bored and stop doing it. Some days I really hate homeschooling because I feel like she should be doing so much more, but I'm just not good at finding and implementing appropriate materials for her.

I guess this is more of a vent. Today is a bad day and I feel like kicking myself.

The Keystone program is a full traditional English program like you would find in a traditional school setting. It covers writing, vocabulary, literature, and even a speech presentation.

I actually don't know what encylopedias I have downstairs! I was flipping through TWTM looking at the different stages. Tomorrow I'm going to ask her to help me choose a period of history and then branch from there. Going the WTM route would certainly save me some money. I think I'll probably follow your plan and have her start with the encyclopedia, write mini-reports and read historical books, both fiction and non-fiction. I just need a decent list to go by. I am thinking about using the Sonlight lists but I can't find my SL catalog! Eek! :)

Well, no need to add writing then :) Besides, history will have plenty of writing assignments.

Grab your encyclopedias, find your starter point and then check TWTM logic stage for that period. There are reading lists. If you decide on the middle ages, a lot of the assigned reading is available free, online, here. The link is to Canterbury Tales, but if you go to the homepage you can find all the other resources.

I start to stray from TWTM and then I figure out that it's easier, cheaper, and more in depth if I go back :p

You've all given me some great ideas. Here's what I've done so far:

Science: I talked to her biology teacher about bumping up the work load. She agreed. That will give Allie a bit more science outside of class other than just vocabulary.

Language Arts: I looked at Allie's 8th grade Keystone class. It looks like alot of work. This will likely be a big part of her day.

History: I bought a lapbook project from Hands of a Child on Jamestown. I want her to start working on something but I don't want to add too much too soon. I'm going to have her go through it and create a project from the materials rather than just assign the lapbook. She isn't a lapbook person but she does like being creative. She has to finish before we take our winter break. During break, I'll decide how I want to proceed in History which means I'll be back then asking more questions. :)

Foreign language: this is something I'll wait until January to do. That gives me time to look at programs again, and have some money to buy something.

I don't think that's a bad start considering I started this ball rolling yesterday!