Menu

If you have a late reader, what did you do about grammar?

mo2

I tried FLL 1 and 2 because it is mainly oral. She hated it. I would like to do some sort of grammar program with her, maybe FLL3 or GWG, but I know she wouldn't be able to read all the sentences. Would it still be effective? Or should I just wait until she is reading fluently and then start grammar, even if it is another year or two?

I tried FLL 1 and 2 because it is mainly oral. She hated it. I would like to do some sort of grammar program with her, maybe FLL3 or GWG, but I know she wouldn't be able to read all the sentences. Would it still be effective? Or should I just wait until she is reading fluently and then start grammar, even if it is another year or two?

A waited a bit, and then did GWG 1 and 2 in second grade. We finished easily. I did it with him, and it improved his reading. The sentences were short and repeated the same words.

Also, read the Brian Cleary books (A Lime, A Mime, A Pool of Slime).

See, I think this may be one of those things that depends on the child and why reading is late. Ds just has not developmentally had reading "click" yet, but he processes content on a very high level. He can easily identify proper and common nouns orally, as long as he doesn't have to read them.

In our case, ds would be incredibly bored if I held off on all the other interesting content & skills subjects until he read fluently (similar to how some kids have this problem with writing). Kids just develop asynchronously and I see no problem with doing grammar orally for a late reader if they seem ready for it. We hear about people on the boards acting as scribes all the time for their writing-phobic kids, so why not do work orally for late readers as well?

This was our experience too. DS is using CLE Language Arts and doing fine at learning grammar and mechanics of writing, although his reading is still emerging. He writes at a low level in his journal every day but he can keep up with CLE, although I do have to scribe when he has to make paragraphs.

These look cute! I'd never seen them before. Thanks.

Many libraries have them. The Ruth Heller ones (e.g. A cache of jewels and other collective nouns) are, IMO, for older kids. The art is more pretty and less "kid" oriented. When my son was only 6, he suddenly sat up while I was reading something and said "It's a, it's a, it's an ANTONYM" with such a scream of delight, I ran to my computer and got the rest. We now have word days. We try to point out, e.g. adverbs we read, or try to make up silly examples, as in the Cleary books. I also use it to teach vocabulary, and American idioms. Lots of meat in these simple books.

I had an early reader and all the grammar I taught before this year was for naught! I think it's just like math, there is a certain time when their brain is ready to receive the information and I don't think he was ready before 4th grade. This year grammar has been a BREEZE for him, but I don't think it is at all because of his prior exposure (FLL1 & 2). He just could not wrap his brain around it when he was younger. Practice more on spelling, reading literature, vocabulary & memory work while they're younger--there is PLENTY of time to learn grammar & really there's NOT that much to it once they're ready to learn it...I remember we had the same thing over & over & over, year after year in high school... BORING!!! I think I will just do grammar during the logic stage and lead it right into fluent writing for rhetoric then drop it for good. That's what you're laying the foundation for anyway, to learn proper mechanics of writing.

HTH!! :D

I guess ds at a bit over 6 and still learning to read is late by a lot of standards. We are waiting. However, I did do some Mad Libs w/ him I read it and then would let him try to guess words. Basic stuff like nouns are person- place- thing- verbs are action words- stuff like that. I am getting him some Mad Libs Jr for Christmas but I am sure I will have to read those to him as well. I think by next year he will be ready to try FLL 1, right now I want to focus on the reading for the most part.(On the Mad Libs dh and I was doing it myself and he wanted to help as well-it wasn't really planned as in we are starting Grammar kind of way)

Edited by soror

My ds7 is still in the "learning to read" stage. We do grammar very light and casual. As I make lunch, I ask him what a noun is....can you think of some?...and that's enough for now. Also, I correct him if he uses incorrect grammar in daily speech. We talk about what a complete sentence is. "A gray kitten" is not a sentence b/c the gray kitten has to DO something, etc...

He does copywork almost everyday so he sees written language.