Menu

Story of the world 3 for 5th grade

Can this be adapted for a 5th grader?

I will have a 5th, 3rd, and 1st grader next year and would like to keep them all together in their history curric.

Are the student sheets and tests too easy for 5th grader?

I will say dd is a little behind more like 4/5th level by next year.

TIA

Jenny

IIRC, the intro to the activity book for SOTW1 specifies that SOTW1 is for 1st-4th grade, SOTW2 is for 2nd-5th grade, and so on. So it's actually your 1st grader who's outside the suggested age range :). I'm doing SOTW1 with a K, 2nd, and 4th grader this year, and it's working well. I'm still struggling a little trying to find the right amount of extra work for my 4th grader, but I think by next year I'll have it down.

We are about to finish up SOTW 2 and will start 3 in the spring. I find the text to be a bit immature, but I understand that things are being explained to CHILDREN so that they can understand. And my son DOES understand and actually likes the text himself.

I create for him a "reading guide" using the Discussion questions in the AG. He reads over the reading guide and then looks for the answers to the questions as he is reading and jots down the answers as he finds them (they're usually in order, he's only in 4th grade so I try not to make it TOO tough or he wouldn't want to do it ;))

He uses the "Reading guides" to help with his narration (he narrates each section he reads so 2 sometimes 3 paragraphs per chapter.

I also create a study guide for him from the test (we have had instances where some questions on the test were NOT discussed in the review questions) so sometimes when he's doing his study guide he'll need to refer back to the text.

The tests are definitely at grade level or above for him. They were too tough last year so we skipped them. They *might* be too tough this year if we didn't do all the prep work before the test.

We also do the mapwork & usually get 1-2 of the suggested Lit & Hist. to read during our week...sometimes we throw in an activity, but he's not real big on the coloring pages. He HATES coloring, cutting & pasting! :tongue_smilie: And, that's something I'm willing to give on! ;)

I find this a good balance right now. I'm not sure how we're going to progress to outlining & writing essays next year! A little nervous about that and coming here to look for suggestions! :001_huh:

HTH Some! :)

I create for him a "reading guide" using the Discussion questions in the AG. He reads over the reading guide and then looks for the answers to the questions as he is reading and jots down the answers as he finds them (they're usually in order, he's only in 4th grade so I try not to make it TOO tough or he wouldn't want to do it ;))

He uses the "Reading guides" to help with his narration (he narrates each section he reads so 2 sometimes 3 paragraphs per chapter.

I've done this too, but with my 5th grader.

My dd, 2nd & 5th grades, are both doing STOW 1. Yes, the text is easy for my 5th grader, but they both LOVE, LOVE listening to the CD (Jim Weiss). I have my 5th grader read the text along with the CD and sometimes my 2nd grader joins with the reading. While dd6 is giving her narration, I send dd10 to another room to answer the "reading guide"/review questions (I don't require her to write the answers), and write her summary. Also, to flesh it out for dd10, she reads from the Usborne IL Ency (I just purchased the Kingfisher for her to use instead) and lists 5-10 interesting facts (which will be phased out once we begin outlining), visits and reads the information in the UILE links, reads an 1-2 additional books from the library per topic/week (what the AG recommends as RA, I give to my dd10 as IDR, or a similar title from the library), MapTrek and/or AG map, and will soon add timeline work.

All in all, I am delighted with STOW!!! History is a major part of our week, and both girls really enjoy it. It's been AMAZING to see the light bulbs go off and watching them make a multitude of connections (I'm learning a ton too....the neurons are super busy in my head). Can the history spine for dd10 be a bit more challenging? Yes, but I don't think STOW is dumbing her down in the least. The information is solid and a great spring boad for more difficult text. She's in a comfortable place right now and I get to beef up the rest of history without much complaint because the subject has come alive for her and so it's very enjoyable.

HTH

Something to keep in mind- I enjoyed reading Story of the World 1 when I was previewing the text. It's written for children, and delightful to read IMO. We are doing SOTW 2 now, ds is in 2nd grade. Next year we're working on a homemade version of American History, then in 4th we're continuing with SOTW 3, and in 5th we'll be doing SOTW 4.

As they mature, they can take on a few projects themselves, and create their own notebooks and work on their timelines.

• 8 months later...
Can this be adapted for a 5th grader?

I will have a 5th, 3rd, and 1st grader next year and would like to keep them all together in their history curric.

Are the student sheets and tests too easy for 5th grader?

I will say dd is a little behind more like 4/5th level by next year.

TIA

Jenny

I did this program with my 5th grader last year. I feel that with the maps, the test, and extra reading, it was enough for my 5th grader. I personally feel that the tests are at the 4th or 5th grade level. I do not know how the 1st grader would do on it. Maybe the 1st grader should narrate back more the contents instead of testing. I had my 5th grader narrate. Just a reminder, SOTW 3 and 4 are no longer this fairy tale like story. It is more facts and information. So, there is a lot more data being placed in the child's head.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony