Menu

What comes after First Language Lessons???

I mean, I KNOW what comes after FLL, because the manuscript is on my screen right now. But I have NO TITLE. Help? Suggestions?

Intermediate Language Lessons...there's already one.

Logic Stage Language Lessons...only makes sense to people who are already deep into classical ed.

Second? Next? Subsequent? Middle? Not-Quite-Beginner-Not-Yet-High-School?

HEEELPP.

SWB:confused:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a tough one. Perhaps Central Language Lessons :D I like Middle Language Lessons, as well as using Intermediate Language Lessons. I realize that Serl has already written a book of the same name; but, at the time, many English/grammar books had a common title, though unique author.

Whatever the name, we look forward to it! :)

Edited by Medieval Mom

I mean, I KNOW what comes after FLL, because the manuscript is on my screen right now. But I have NO TITLE. Help? Suggestions?

Logic Stage Language Lessons...only makes sense to people who are already deep into classical ed.

HEEELPP.

You are right that Logic Language Lessons would only make sense to classical educators. Second Language Lessons would make people think it was for second graders. Hm. I think I like Middle Language Lessons.

HEEELPP.

Who is your primary audience? ETA: rather, who are you trying hardest to sell/market to?

If it's those already deep into classical education, Logic Language Lessons sounds fine (if somewhat of a mouthful!)

If you're hoping to stock the shelves at B&N and appeal to the masses, it might make more sense to keep the FLL brand and simply add a tag-line noting the next level: FLL, Stage 2. (With the existing FLL program eventually going to print as FLL, Stage 1.) Alternatively, I vote you go with the unexciting but descriptive "Second/ary Language Lessons" suggested by an earlier poster.

Do you want it to always end in "Language Lessons" ?

If not, you could go with a "Language Lessons for..." title.

Otherwise maybe Next Step Language Lessons and then Final Step LL or Next Stage/Final Stage.

Or name the Series something and go with First Language Lessons as a subtitle and then name the others at will.

I like Logical Language Lessons, but it may be that it appeals to me because I am finding my logic stage child to be completely illogical at the moment :glare:.

I think Second Language Lessons sounds like you are learning a second language i.e. ESL.

Maybe Core or Central or Mezzo or

please, please hurry and get it off of your screen and into our hands and help us with teaching our illogical logic age children!!

Do you want it to always end in "Language Lessons" ?

If not, you could go with a "Language Lessons for..." title.

Otherwise maybe Next Step Language Lessons and then Final Step LL or Next Stage/Final Stage.

Or name the Series something and go with First Language Lessons as a subtitle and then name the others at will.

:iagree: Language Lessons for the Older Child or something like that;)

I think Second Language Lessons would be confusing because there is already a FLL 2.

I don't care for Middle Language Lessons because there isn't anything on the other side yet in which this is in the middle. I understand it has multiple meanings (middle school, middle book), but unless you have it contracted out already or are absolutely certain there will be another LL that is advanced, it's kind of risky and seems odd until you get it out. To me anyway. But I have a tendency to overthink things, LOL.

So what about:

*More Language Lessons

*Beyond First Language Lessons

*Building on First Language Lessons

*Secondary Language Lessons (and with this, you could keep with your book 1-6 like you had with FLL, indicating this is for all of the secondary grades)

Or something along those lines? I also like Cadam's suggestion of Intermediate Language Lessons For The Well Trained Mind. But if you do that, you would almost have to use Advanced Language Lessons for the upper grades once that was out.

Is this going to be a series of 3 (for elementary, middle school, high school)? If so, I might think about the names for all 3 so they "go together".

First, Second, Third

First, Next, Final

First, Middle, Advanced

Best Wishes

I agree. I think I vote for First, Next, Final. It has some humor to it.

Intermediate Language Lessons.

Everyone will know what ages/grades it pertains to.

There is already a book with that name, so that's not going to work. I think Intermediate Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind is TOO long and it doesn't fit with the other books.

I like Secondary Language Lessons equally well as Middle Language Lessons.

Not the greatest choice for selling to Australians :) "Secondary" would mean year 7-12 for us. Not that I suppose we are such a big market. Anyway, the important Aussies (like me :D) will already know what's what from hanging here.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

HEEELPP.

I like Language Lessons for the Middle Grades. I wouldn't try to force something just to keep the pattern going. With Intermediate and Logic out of the running, I don't like the sounds of the others. Second sounds like second grade, Secondary like high school.

You could also just let it continue the series you have:

First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind, Level 5.

Good luck!

Advanced Language Lessons, Book 1

Advanced Language Lessons, Book 2, etc.

That keeps the flow and branding from First Language Lessons, and "Advanced" has a nice connotation to it; people will like to feel that they are advancing their child, especially in the middle years.

I agree with the others that say "Second" refers to a second language and "Secondary" to high school.

Then you could go with "Accelerated Language Lessons" for High School.

Edited by HappyGrace

There is already a book with that name, so that's not going to work. I think Intermediate Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind is TOO long and it doesn't fit with the other books.

Ah! So that's why it sounded so good to me! :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, so I'd go with Middle Language Lessons. Secondary Language Lessons feels like a mouthful.

Essential Elements of Language

Essential Language Lessons

I like both of these as well as Language Lessons for the Middle Grades. LLMG would work as an acronym, as would EEL for either of the above two. Strange but true, I think that when dealing with the homeschool crowd you need to make sure your title works well as an acronym.

Oh, and btw, THANKS! I have been worrying about where to go after FLL4, which my dd will finish before she finishes 4th grade ...

Tara

:confused:

HEEELPP.

ETA: Oh, I get it (palm slaps forehead). You mean what to call FLL5 because it's a transition into 5th grade or logic stage.

How about Secondary Language Lessons for The Well Trained Mind? But, what would you call the next level? Secondary Language Lessons 2? Uggh, that's horrible.

Good Luck!

Edited by Stacy in NJ
more