Menu

Looking for a math recommendation

Oldest dd, 15, has visual-spatial difficulties and is having a tough time keeping her algebra problems organized. Graph paper has not been much of a help. Her handwriting is terrible, and it is not unusual for her to misread what she wrote. She sometimes misses things when she is copying problems from the book onto her paper. This usually happens with the longer problems when she has to look back and forth between the book and her paper several times.

I am wondering if there is a program that would allow her to both view and work the problems on the computer. She is currently using Saxon, and she understands the concepts well. However, the constant back and forth between paper and book and the frustration with keeping it organized means that it takes her about 3 hours to complete one lesson (she takes 2 days to do this). She also misses problems because of the mistakes I mentioned above. I'm reluctant to cut out problems because I think she needs all the practice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I know there is something that I think is called a "special populations workbook" for the Saxon middle grades texts that has the problems printed in it and space to solve them. They might have something similar for the high school texts as well.

Thanks for looking that up, Kai.

I appreciate the MUS recommendation, too.

I do have a concern with workbooks. They have not been a good fit for history or science because dd's handwriting is large and sloppy.

I really would love to find something she can do completely on the laptop.

Any more ideas?

Thanks.

If I couldn't read my kid's numbers (even if I could tell it was correct) I always marked the problem as wrong and made them redo it. My husband thought I was cruel. He now has admitted he was wrong. My kids all write their numbers super neat. This has been a huge benefit in Algebra. One unreadable number can ruin a 10 minute math problem. Almost all math is done by hand. Even when using a calculator for calculations you have to write out the problems step by step. Most writing these day is done on a computer, phone or other typing device. And one unreadable word won't ruin the entire text. Nice handwriting is important, but nicely written math problems are much more so imo.

I noticed you said she had visual-spatial difficulties. I would try larger squared graph paper. There are various types of math paper in the office supply store you could try. Another option is to try lined notebook paper. Have her write numbers on each line with a space between. If it is easier for her to make her numbers large instead of small, let her do so. The important thing is that they can be read.

And to help with copying down problems, as others have already recommended, I would try worksheets and/or a workbook.

Thanks for your responses. I was sure there had to be a computer-based math out there somewhere, but I guess not!

Would it help her to see problems worked out?
Yes, she uses Saxon Teacher, and it has been very effective.

Nice handwriting is important, but nicely written math problems are much more so imo.
I agree, and you've just inspired me to set new expectations for ds, 11. Thanks! This dd has fine motor issues, and her hand tires very easily. She also has difficulty writing within small spaces. It is not unusual for her to use up 3/4 of a page to do a problem that her sister could do in 3 or 4 lines. She now uses the computer for all other subjects, and it has been a lifesaver.

I know you're looking for an onscreen program, but in the meantime, maybe you could make a Xerox copy of the problems and cut them and either paste them onto a page for her to work, or let her take each one and put it on the page and then work the problem below that.

Thank you for suggesting this. I think I will try this for now.

MUS Algebra and Algebra: A Fresh Approach might be good programs for your dd.
Thanks for the recommendations, Angie.

There are a few computer/internet based programs where the answer is input into the computer--ALEKS is one, and (I think) Thinkwell is another. When my son does ALEKS, he likes to use a small whiteboard to do the problems instead of doing them on paper.

This dd has fine motor issues, and her hand tires very easily. Angie.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I'm wondering what you've done over the years to help her fine motor issues (of course, I don't know the cause). My ds has had delayed fine motor skills, and we've had to work on them.

Sometime that I've seen as a piano teacher, is that playing a keyboard instrument, or at least doing some technical exercises on one can help a great deal. Typing on a keyboard doesn't do the same thing. This is just a thought, and I realize that that may not be feasible for one or more reasons. Sadly, my digital piano died & I haven't been able to afford to replace it, so ds hasn't done this yet. This isn't just for dexterity, but also for strength & control. It also stimulates the part of the brain that handles motor control, and does a far better job in improving fine motor skills than typing or using the computer keyboard.

Your dd is older, of course, and some of the things we did are geared for younger dc. He is getting better slowly, but still tends to write large & messy if I don't stay on top of him.

Edited by Karin

Have you tried different colors of graph paper? My daughter had similar issues when using white grid paper. On a whim I bought a pad of Buff colored paper last spring. I noticed her writing seemed clearer, neater, and more organized immediately. I thought I must be imagining it, but the neatness has continued and she now tells me that she could barely see the grid on the white because the white was so bright and "glary". :001_huh: She only uses Buff colored paper for hand work anymore.

Crazy right?

Have you tried different colors of graph paper? My daughter had similar issues when using white grid paper. On a whim I bought a pad of Buff colored paper last spring. I noticed her writing seemed clearer, neater, and more organized immediately. I thought I must be imagining it, but the neatness has continued and she now tells me that she could barely see the grid on the white because the white was so bright and "glary". :001_huh: She only uses Buff colored paper for hand work anymore.

Crazy right?

Perhaps not so crazy. Are you familiar with the Irlen method? I'll link some information here.

Regards,

Kareni