Menu

Visitor from K-8, looking for advise about my self ed. before their H.S.

I've been thinking lately about how unprepared I might end up being for my kids high school. I have years to prepare for this, and with our schedule/life it will take it! I was thinking about perhaps going through an upper level Sonlight Core, or perhaps V.P. ... maybe just grab some good books and the Cliff notes that go with them. I've reserved the WEM from the library. I've never read it before. Do you guys who are the "been there, done that" crowd have some suggestions for me?

thank you very much

I home schooled 2 children into junior college. Now I'm self educating just for the fun of it. My signature has listed the resources I'm using right now.

I recommend working on increasing basic math speed and accuracy, and THEN hitting some high school textbooks. I like Saxon and Aufmann (remedial junior college texts) the best. The faster and more accurately you can do basic math, the more quickly you will move through high school math.

I have found that intensively studying short stories, rather than novels, is a more efficient way to learn literary terms. As well as the Teaching Company lectures listed below, I really like Robin Wilson's Those Who Can and Paragons as a light supplement. The Teaching Company lectures I have listed under reading can be downloaded and put on an iPod. They frequently go on sale for $34.00 or less. I think I was sent a coupon and only paid $12.00 for one of them.

I really like the book, Science Matters and I encourage Intensively studying the scientific method.

Good luck, and enjoy the holidays with your precious little ones :-)

WEM provides an excellent start.

I would also suggest that you begin working your way through an algebra text if you need to increase your comfort zone in mathematics. You might consider Latin and Logic as well.

Your children are at a perfect age for nature studies which can begin with simple observation and expand to using nature guides, biological illustration, etc. The PBS programs Nature and Nova can help create a foundation for everyone's future science work. Associated with these programs on the PBS website are teacher materials. These handouts often include some interesting experiments which can be adapted for younger children but also serve to give you a broader base.

Good luck with your journey.

Jane

I kind of started with the thought "what should high school look like?". What should my kid know before college? High School, especially in the later years, seems to be all about laying down a foundation for further study in college.....a core curriculum if you will. I looked around the AP sites and the OCSW sites to see what she should be shooting for. There were loads of book and text possibilities there. A lot of it seems like jumping through hoops but, I try v. hard to aim for creative work and product rather than just rote learning. Web resources will give you specific ideas about how to approach literature and history and science.

Thank you all for responding. I'm pretty good on the math and science. (I was a medical microbiologist in a previous life.) I'm concerned that once upon a time I was in AP English, history, etc and since taking a turn towards the sciences, I've effectively closed the door on those things. I can't remember the last time I read one of the "great books" (in the full text form), with the exception of the Bible. I think I need something to open that door back up, with explanations in the margins. :lol: I should have WEM by this weekend.

thank you all for taking the time to respond

More replies welcome!

I have a friend who is a retired professor who taught math and science at several diffferent high schools and colleges. Despite her strong maths background, she LOVES the math book in my signature, and has been having a lot of fun with it lately with my girlfriend. They are doing proofs or something with it :-0 I don't know, but it's over my head :-0 I just am using the book as it is.

Ancient Greek is fun :-) I have severe memory issues now...so need to pick fewer things to study, so I can do the repetition necessary. But I just love the Greek alphabet. My youngest really enjoyed his Greek lessons and despite his horrendous English handwriting, had a very pretty Greek handwriting.

Check out the Learning Company for all sorts of DVD and audio courses in every subject. There are LOTS of literature curriculums. I really like the Masterpieces of Short Fiction curriculum. It uses the book the Story and it's writers

I really like my new text Art in Focus

A lot of the things my children learned best were the things I had a passion for and taught while we lived daily life, rather than those we set aside to tackle as a school subject. And learning...just kinda spreads out like ripples from wherever you start, and the whole pond seems to just get covered somehow, by the end.

What makes your heart beat a little faster, when you think about learning?

Some things I'm really glad I did before high school:

Read a few Great Books myself

Got as far ahead in Latin and Greek as I could, and stayed w/the kids as long as I could

Continually thought about what was my "non-negotiable" list for high school... keep it short!

And I agree that WEM is a fabulous resource and it's a great idea to read it before high school.

Just reading good literature is a start. I find my vocabulary increasing as I am reading a good amount of time each week. Then I use those words with my dc, and we all improve. WEM, Invitation to the Classics, and How to Read a Book are also helpful as you read.

Read the junior high or high school level of whatever you are working on with your dc anyway. Build a good library of resource books for yourself, and then look up topics and read more. For example, if you are going to teach your dc about prepositions for a lesson, look it up in a high school grammar book and read about it first. If you are studying a history topic, read about it in SWB's history books or in Spielvogel.