Menu

What areas of learning are most essential?

mnemom

My dd started kindergarten in public school this year. I am still working on dh to let me give homeschooling a try. But in the meantime I am afterschooling. She is doing Math Mammoth and we do a lot of reading together and she reads quite a bit on her own.

I see so many threads about spelling curriculum, phonics curriculum, handwriting practice, science curriculum, literature, history, and more. I just don't have time to do a separate curriculum for each of these things. So I want to know what is most essential. She pretty much "gets" the whole phonics thing and is very good at language arts in general, so I feel like intensive spelling and phonics practice is probably not necessary.

I often wonder how you all do it, fitting all these things into your homeschool day. I tried to do it over the summer and was just really overwhelmed (I have a toddler, too).

So I'd like to know what you'd recommend as a core afterschooling curriculum, as well as how you manage to squeeze everything in as a full-time homeschooler. Thank you!

Thank you for your thoughts. Any specific suggestions on which curricula to use? I am very happy with Math Mammoth. I have been thinking about Son Light for history, since we already do a lot of reading aloud we could just use those books for our nightly reading. But what about grammar? Any ideas?

When I was after schooling I concentrated on math and biographies. And my younger child loved playing around with a little Latin, but I didn't try to accomplish anything significant. There just wasn't time.

And people will probably think I'm nuts...but...I'd make time for a formal drawing curriculum, if I had it to do over.

I read books about teaching writing, and taught writing by helping with their homework, not by having my own curriculum. Sometimes during the summer, we tackled a bit of writing.

Math and biographies were the core of their after schooling. And we were conservative Christians at the time and did family devotions twice a day, that led to a lot of talking about a lot of things.