Menu

So, I sort of forgot to start our timeline

redsquirrel

I am a timeline failure. A scofflaw! See, I really meant to start one and I had all these grand plans but what with getting all our stuff to start 5th grade and gearing up for a second run at first grade..well.. it got lost in the shuffle.

So, if you had plans for a binder style time line and an empty binder but the first 10 weeks of school had gone by, what would you do?

Should I just ease off on history writing and have the next couple weeks be a "Get to Know Your Timeline" interlude? Just scribble in the past 10 weeks myself and then hand it off?

The timeline is just for my 5th grader. I don't do one in elementary. Heck, at this point I am not doing one in the logic stage either.

Does anyone else do a very simple timeline? I have seen some that are just so complex. I am NOT a scrapbook/lapbook type girl. I am a more of a let's just hope I can pull this off type of girl.

Can I just say that I LOVE your post. It makes me feel like maybe I'm not the only less-than-perfect homeschooler. :lol:

FWIW, we have a time line going on the wall. We put up little pictures with dates every time we talk about something in our history book. It's fun, but it is definitely not rocking our world.

Are you using SOTW by chance? If so, you can take the review cards, color them (or let him), and paste them into a timeline. I use a book style timeline, too. You can also print off some color images from free online art of various topics and use those to fill in.

You don't have to include every single detail you've studied this year. Just put in one or two points from each topic you've studied to get you started.

I forgot to order the books of time and then I was going to print out our own, got a wall Time Line and still have yet to do one. Bad, bad HS mom here. We will break up next week for the year and have only covered 1/2 a core so after we stop we are carry on with some language and math review and after the move maybe I will let the kids fill in the history TL...

Another timeline flunky here. I always start with big ideas and never make it happen.

My plan is to make a timeline by taping cardstock together so that it can be folded accordion style. Then draw a line across the pages and label the years. This way we can lay it all out on the floor and really see how everything falls in place, yet it will not take up a lot of wall space. Timeline books do not give my kids a real sense of how things fall together in time.

Maybe I will get it going over Christmas break!