Menu

Thoughts on How to be a SuperStar Student...

We watched SuperStar Student at the beginning of this school year. I've seen so many positive reviews on these boards for it.

How depressing. :crying:

He had so many useful ideas. However, his methods seem so out of reach for my bright, but unmotivated, 14yo ds, who rolled his eyes and criticized Tim McGee the entire time.

This DVD is obviously most appropriate for the Type A, motivated go-getter. As I told dh about it the other day, he immediately bristled at the title and commented: "Why didn't they name it 'How to be a Better Student'? Not every student is going to be a SuperStar."

I feel like we need Step 1 out of 25, not the whole shebang.

Anybody else have this reaction? :confused: (slinking away to get over my public embarrassment) :leaving:

My son couldn't stand it.

The type of student that system would work for doesn't need the lectures in the first place.

The other thing I didn't like about it was that it was all about one system. I would have preferred a more general discussion about how the brain works and how different studying techniques might help different students with different abilities.

We hear you, Sue!!

My ds's reaction to it wasn't so "negative" but more like, "this is a super-formal process that doesn't fit my study style."

I have to admit, it doesn't fit mine either. In high school, undergrad and grad school, I wound up at the top of my class. But if I had used this notetaking/study method, it would have not worked at all for me. The bottom line is I found out what worked for my learning style - how to read, how to take notes, how to study etc. etc. I figured that out through trial-and-error. It wasn't like someone sat me down at the beginning of high school and said, "ok, now this is how to study." As a matter of fact, when I was growing up, it was a given that you had to figure that out yourself!:)

I'm sure the Superstar Student method works for some learners. But for many, I suspect, it is like trying to fit a square peg into the circular opening on a child's shape box! It just doesn't match.

I am a big proponent of both exposing children (from 6th grade up)to a variety of study methods and making helpful suggestions, but in the end letting them figure it out, and holding them accountable (via their grades) for their study choices. That's real life. I want them to learn that accountability at home, so that it is not a shocker when they have teachers who really don't care why they didn't get their homework/paper/project in on time...it is late, no matter what the excuse!:tongue_smilie:

Do I coach my 6 1/2th grader more in this regard than I coach my 8 1/2th grader? Yes, of course. So it's not like throwing them in with the wolves and telling them, "find your way out!" It's a gradual, daily coaching process. Both dc have made great strides in accepting study accountability over the past 6 months. They have a long way to go, but when I compare where they were then, to where they are now, there is a big difference. Then, they sort of freaked out when I asked to see how they'd planned out their work for the week. Now, they know I am going to ask. Then, they looked at me like deer in the headlights when I said, "well, if you didn't get that done today, I'd suggest you get up earlier tomorrow to finish it. Yes, I will deduct a grade for being late." Now they accept that's the way it is (note I didn't say they like it!)

Is there a particular area where your ds is having trouble (notetaking? studying for tests? other?), or is it overall motivation?

And are there a few tidbits that your ds may glean from the Superstar series? For example, dd liked the idea of using different colors of ink in notetaking. That's a little one, I realize. But she liked it!

So - you are not alone! Sorry if I got off-topic. In my mind, study habits, learning what works best for yourself, personal accountability, all that STUFF - go hand in hand.

I just watched this series with DS about a month ago. While we both agreed that Tim McGee was hard to listen to (the constant hand gestures and facial expressions got really old!), we thought there were some great ideas there. We have instituted his learning journal notebooks with DS's science and his test grades are improving!

Thanks, folks. At least I know I'm not alone.

The type of student that system would work for doesn't need the lectures in the first place.

The other thing I didn't like about it was that it was all about one system. I would have preferred a more general discussion about how the brain works and how different studying techniques might help different students with different abilities.

Good points!

Is there a particular area where your ds is having trouble (notetaking? studying for tests? other?), or is it overall motivation?

I am very detail-oriented and fairly organized. Ds is more like dh - big picture guy and not nearly as organized. I can see how SS would be good for me, but completely round peg/square hole for ds. I guess I don't really know how to help ds because these things come so naturally for me and are so unnatural for him.

So, ds has trouble being thorough and being organized and doing more than the minimum that's required of him. Sigh.

We took a few things from it this year, and plan to watch it again next year and see if more fits at that time.

Two things we took this year -- learning journals (ie, notetaking on some material, specifically dd is doing this with science just to get used to it) and the other is reading the chapter/material BEFORE class.

Now I admit that for a lot of our homeschool the dvd info didn't apply, and dd did sigh quite a bit during the lectures, but dd took a few outsourced classes this year -- online math, and two at an independent co-op. She's also using the planner like they talk about to keep track of her independent work this year. So I guess that's 3 things.

I will say that my dd is definitely NOT a type A, super motivated person. She's artsy and would rather be either sewing her own designs or exploring the desert than doing academic schoolwork. We just took a few of the ideas that we thought might work this year and are applying those. Later, we'll maybe try to apply some more.

We took a few things from it this year, and plan to watch it again next year and see if more fits at that time.

Two things we took this year -- learning journals (ie, notetaking on some material, specifically dd is doing this with science just to get used to it) and the other is reading the chapter/material BEFORE class.

Now I admit that for a lot of our homeschool the dvd info didn't apply, and dd did sigh quite a bit during the lectures, but dd took a few outsourced classes this year -- online math, and two at an independent co-op. She's also using the planner like they talk about to keep track of her independent work this year. So I guess that's 3 things.

I will say that my dd is definitely NOT a type A, super motivated person. She's artsy and would rather be either sewing her own designs or exploring the desert than doing academic schoolwork. We just took a few of the ideas that we thought might work this year and are applying those. Later, we'll maybe try to apply some more.

That sounds like us too. We took what we could use and left the rest for now. I'll probably have him watch it at the beginning of each year but especially before he takes any dual enrollment type classes. If nothing else, the information will be in the back of his mind before he heads off to college.

PS my son made fun of him too. Does that mean we have potential class clowns? :001_huh::lol:

I was thinking of ordering this, but I'm glad I saw this thread first.

My 15 year old actually got some ideas from a series of videos on You Tube entitled "12 Things I Wish My Students Knew". The man had some ideas I never thought of wish my son was eager to implement. I'll also add that my son is NOT a "superstar" student. The videos are definately worth a look, esp. since they are free.

Well, we never made it past the first videa (yes, the old days, before it was probably cut in DVD!). My olders thought it was really boring, but I've always wondered whether it picked up. Fortunately, we borrowed it from the library. I've since just incorporated study skills naturally as they mature through late logic and early rhetoric grades.

Lisa

Try this:

Thanks for the link.

His ideas seem almost identical to a program my older dd listened to -- Where There's a Will There's an A. Not sure if libraries still have it. It sells very cheap on VHS. In fact it's so similar that I might think it was the same thing except the guys seem very different.

The methods in Superstar Student were way more particular and were above my older dd, and I haven't shown it to youngest yet but surely he won't use a lot of it. However, I think it's worthy in helping kids realize that there is a peer group out there that works very hard. I also think it's worthy in sort-of a SWB sense -- thinking about how to "outline" and organize information.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

We just finished watching the series. We watched one video a week. The first week or two was the best. My son was so motivated after he watched it that he created a learning journal and read the next day's lesson beforehand. That lasted about a day each. Ha! Ha! (He's totally NOT type A).

But seriously....some of it didn't apply to our homeschool. I don't lecture on the material in Ds's books. We usually read over lessons together, work sample problems or discuss as needed, and then he completes the rest independantly. So there's not really an opportunity at this point to practice some of the skills we saw. But, I do see where they will help down the road when he starts dual credit classes. We will probably rewatch them at that time.

What I think my son gained the most from the videos was the sense that school is important and should be worked at to achieve success. Also, that there are ways to better succeed through good study habits. Many of those things I had already been telling him, but having a stranger say them on a video made them all come alive and become real. Amazing how that works. :)

While ds is not using all of the skills he watched, I have seen better effort in his study habits and he's currently using the "learning Journal" he made to take notes from Science. He seems to be doing well with that. He also has a planner that I'm still trying to get him to look at every day. "YES, that includes the WEEKENDS, SON!" I'm hoping that will get better as time goes on. But again, the guy on the video made those dumb planners Mom tried to implement before, a brilliant idea. When I get excuses about why a test score wasn't as good as it should of been due to lack of study time, I simply refer to those video lessons and all arguments cease.

One of the best ideas that we implemented was jam writing. It really did help to start with that before trying to tackle a paper ds was assigned. We both agreed it was something we wanted to keep doing for future assignments.

Overall, I am pleased with what we got out of it considering my son is still in 8th grade. Even if ds isn't using all the ideas today, he has more tools for his box of study skills. I think a repeated viewing in about two years or so, when those college classes start, will reap even greater results and the lessons will be more easily applied.

The videos are not exciting, but my son is able to deal with it. YMMV.