Menu

My Greek For Children Review Is Up

Saille

Good review. I think the vocab in Elementary Greek is what it is because the program is based on Machen's New Testament Greek for Beginners; in fact, if a person isn't ready to move on after completing EG3 I recommend using Machen,approx. 1/2 of the text will seem very familiar and offer excellent review before hitting the more difficult grammar.

So, is that all they are releasing as far as Greek for Children goes, one text? I thought they would be adding other primers.

Karen, who is supposed to review Discovery of Deduction but isn't quite finished yet :tongue_smilie:

So, is that all they are releasing as far as Greek for Children goes, one text? I thought they would be adding other primers.

Karen, who is supposed to review Discovery of Deduction but isn't quite finished yet :tongue_smilie:

I emailed them, so maybe they'll give me some clarity on that. I would hope they'd progress with it, and add supplements. I listed the things I specifically want to see; however, they don't tend to publish in a hurry, IME. I figured that if we're going to start the program now, I should operate under the assumption that we'll be done with it before anything else is released.

I mainly got this done today through NaNoWriMo procrastination. :glare:

Thanks so much for the review! I have been waiting for Greek for Children since I'm a fan and user of Latin for Children. I just couldn't see laying out the cash for Elementary Greek after looking at their samples.

This is on my list for the second half of this year.

I just couldn't see laying out the cash for Elementary Greek after looking at their samples.

I'm glad we went ahead with it, but mostly b/c we'd already done GCC in anticipation of Greek for Children coming out. Because GfC wasn't ready in time, we'd have had to quit entirely while we waited. So we needed something. And it's fine, as far as it goes. I just like GfC better.

Got a reply:

We do have a Greek for Children Primer B in the works, but we are not sure of the release date. It will likely not be before summer of 2012. We do hope to make a DVD and Chant CD (possibly by spring) to accompany the text, as in Latin for Children. Thank you also for the suggestion of flash cards. If we are not able to print a deck yet, we may be able to make printable files as we did with Latin early on.

Summer of 2012 would probably work for us, actually...

You mentioned waiting for Greek Prep to come out--it looks like all Galore Park has available now is Classical Greek for Beginners. Any experience/thoughts on that book? We are looking for a basic beginning attic Greek program. Truthfully, I'm waiting for Memoria Press to come out with First Form Greek--I know they have it in development. The Highlands Latin School uses Crosby and Schaeffer's An Introduction to Greek. Any thoughts on that would be welcome too!

Thank you so much for that review! We are currently using LfC B and loving it. I want my dd10 to start Greek next school year. EG just looked so ... blah. I was not thrilled about starting Greek until GfC came out. This sounds like a wonderful program. I do have one question. Do you think I could use this with my ds7 as well? He will be 8 when we start, has been reading since he was 3, and has taken 3 years of Latin. I hate to start something too early and cause burnout.

My daughter is seven, and I will use it with her. She did Greek Code Cracker last year, and voted down Song School Greek on the grounds that it was too childish for her. She did Song School Latin in kindy and loved it, but she's big on being "older" now :lol:. Anyway, I'd start with Code Cracker, just because it's such a fun way to introduce the alphabet, earn some buy-in with the kids, and help them develop ownership over using the letters to make (transliterated) words. It's short. You'll likely be through it in a couple of months. Then you could move to SSG or GfC. I think there's a downloadable chapter of SSG on the site if you want to see it.

amyco, I haven't used Classical Greek For Beginners, but I know Laura Corin has. I think it's a shorter text. Her son used it once a week, IIRC.

I have the emails to prove that Galore Park is (or was) working on Greek Prep, and I think they used to have it in the "coming soon" list...or maybe I heard about it from Laura. Not sure. If you look at samples of Latin Prep, you'll get a feel for what the program could look like.

My impression of An Introduction to Greek is that the language used to describe the concepts is fairly cerebral, and my kids are young. I do work with them, but I'd rather not devote that much time to rewording the explanation.

My ultimate Greek Program would be the Greek equivalent of Lively Latin. I think I'm safe in saying I'm largely alone in this. :D

Thank you! For some reason choosing a Greek program is proving to be ever so much more difficult than a Latin program! I'm afraid my head is going to explode soon...but at least Living Memory has the Greek alphabet, which I learned from my dc today, so we can start on that!