Menu

Cincy Convention 2011: Am I the only one that noticed...

The Duggars are coming? Hehe, dd is crazy excited! How an almost only can be excited about a family with that many just surprises me. And although Andrew Kern is not listed in the featured speakers list, he IS listed beside his booth/exhibitor listing... Andrew Kern is both the Circe Institute and Lost Tools of Writing, right?

Well just when I thought they couldn't make it any bigger or better, they appear to have! :lol: But why did they put the Duggars so late on Saturday? Doesn't that mean we have to spend that night and drive home the next day? Anybody think they might do that?

Oh my.

The spectator in me wants a nose-to-the-glass emoticon.

If dh actually joins me this year, I could have him take the kids to his parents...but I'm more likely to be drinking wine/coffee and drooling over my purchases/notes. (My birthday is that weekend.)

And although Andrew Kern is not listed in the featured speakers list, he IS listed beside his booth/exhibitor listing... Andrew Kern is both the Circe Institute and Lost Tools of Writing, right?

Andrew Kern is going to speak at all the conferences but Cincinnati [boo-hoo]. I really, really wanted to hear him live. *But* Buck Holler who works closely with Kern is going to be speaking and representing CiRCE. Yay!

Andrew Kern is going to go to the other ones but not Cincy??? That's weird, as it seems from the listings (comparing the speaker lists for the 4 venues) that they still anticipate this to be the biggest. Oh well.

And yes Beth, it's worth it to go to the Cincy convention (or another put on by these people). It has gotten bigger and better every year, just astounding.

And they got the WHOLE convention center, so there will be only HS convention goers there.... no stereo sales, pet expo or "insert goofy thing at a convention center that would take up parking".

I passed on the 1$ Duggar thing.

I actually dislike that addition, but I can see why they did it. I think. Everything else they have done is pretty great, so I won't complain.

And they got the WHOLE convention center, so there will be only HS convention goers there.... no stereo sales, pet expo or "insert goofy thing at a convention center that would take up parking".

Oo yeah, I was wondering about that! I'm SO relieved they got the whole building, whew! It was horrendously tight last year. One toddler, one preteen, a stroller, a wheelie cart, and narrow aisles, all while said toddler screams needing lunch! It was ugly. So getting the whole building will be a terrific change. Now I just need some Jetson shoes or something to fly around that place. It's huge, lol!

Seriously, I can't figure out what I do with my attached toddler. What do other people do with 2 yo's? He's too rambunctious to sit at sessions all day, but they don't have a children's session or paid babysitting area for him. He's now to the point where my dd can't wrangle him for that long. That would just be crazy. He'd be climbing the walls and going nuts. I don't know, maybe with a dvd player or something? That's still nuts. I suggested my dh go along, hehe, but he wasn't keen. So he told me to ask what other people do. What do other people do? :)

Oo yeah, I was wondering about that! I'm SO relieved they got the whole building, whew! It was horrendously tight last year. One toddler, one preteen, a stroller, a wheelie cart, and narrow aisles, all while said toddler screams needing lunch! It was ugly. So getting the whole building will be a terrific change. Now I just need some Jetson shoes or something to fly around that place. It's huge, lol!

Seriously, I can't figure out what I do with my attached toddler. What do other people do with 2 yo's? He's too rambunctious to sit at sessions all day, but they don't have a children's session or paid babysitting area for him. He's now to the point where my dd can't wrangle him for that long. That would just be crazy. He'd be climbing the walls and going nuts. I don't know, maybe with a dvd player or something? That's still nuts. I suggested my dh go along, hehe, but he wasn't keen. So he told me to ask what other people do. What do other people do? :)

Babysitter!!!! I tried taking a toddler one year. Never again!!!!!

Could the 2yo. stay home with your DH?

I would speculate the Duggars are scheduled so late because they're making multiple stops on the trip, it was planned late, or they're factoring in "Duggar Time" (much has been made on their show about how they tend to run hours late to almost anything) and making sure they arrive at the convention before their scheduled speaking time.

I am completed excited about the seeing the Duggars - bought all the tickets for the convention, Tim Hawkins and the Duggars the first day they were available. It's very unlike me to be excited about seeing T.V. personalities in person but for some reason this one is different. I think it's just the large family thing, even though ours doesn't even compare to theirs.

There was no doubt that we're staying even though it's late on Saturday - we may drive home (only about an hour and a half) or we may stay another night. Since I tend to be on the "evil" side, I'm thinking we may stay just because I think it will be worth it to set up a secret camera at home and film my dh getting all five of the littles ready for church on Sunday morning :)

We've never gone, but I am really trying to talk dh into it this year! The speaker list looks outstanding.

Question: When do they list the workshops & things? And when/how do you register for the Children's Program?

I'm also thinking we may have to do the Creation Museum while we're there! How we will be able to do it all & pay for it all, I don't know.:confused:

What do other people do? :)

Babysitter (grandparents) :)

I would speculate the Duggars are scheduled so late because they're making multiple stops on the trip, it was planned late, or they're factoring in "Duggar Time" (much has been made on their show about how they tend to run hours late to almost anything) and making sure they arrive at the convention before their scheduled speaking time.

I think it's because that is the only time that most convention goers would be able to see the Duggars without missing a regular session. Thursday night people are still arriving, and Friday night is Tim Hawkins.