Menu

Vegan, Gluten Free Desserts

Can someone give me some recipes for really good, vegan, and gluten free desserts?

I would love to invite our neighbors over for dessert on Thanksgiving. Neither of us have family here in town and we're really good friends. The problem is they eat almost completely vegan, and one of their kids is off gluten right now, too. I do think they are going to eat some turkey that day, but I don't think we can do the whole meal together.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

This is something similar to what I make. My changes are I either use almonds or pecans for the crust instead of macadamia nuts, and I usually blend in some frozen blueberries or strawberries into the "cheesecake" filling, making it a berry cheesecake. It's raw, dairy free, gluten free and vegan. And it's pretty yummy! If you soak the nuts ahead of time, you can make it more nutritious too (you soak out the phytic acid, which some say inhibits the absorption of minerals). Oh, and if they aren't opposed to honey (not sure how "vegan" they are based on your post), you can use honey instead of agave (we are not vegan, just gluten and dairy free; I much prefer to use honey over agave as I'm not convinced there are not some health issues with agave). Maple syrup might work too for sweetening the "cheesecake" part. But, it does taste good with the agave too ...

I don't know if this meets "vegan Specifications" because I don't know exactly all of the foods that are rejected in that diet. It is vegetarian and no gluten.

This is very simple: Apples, finely pulverized/powdered almonds, coconut oil, ginger, and 100% pure maple syrup...read the label to make sure you are getting absolutely pure and organic preferable because some syrup makers use formeldehyde...don't ask me why!

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a casserole dish with coconut oil.

Core and peel six apples (more if need be, it's really a very, very flexible recipe as there are no hard and fast measures or ratios).

Slice the apples and dip in a mixture of two tablespoons lemon juice to two tablespoons water.

Lightly coat each side of apple slices with maple syrup. Roll slices in pulverized almonds and sprinkle lightly with ginger. Place in pan, cover, and cook until a fork inserted in the apples goes through easily. Remove cover and let bake just until there is a hint of brown on the almond crust.

We serve this at home with heavy cream. However, since vegans don't consume dairy products, you might check and see if there is a recipe online for making some sort of cream from coconut milk.

Faith

The Gluten free Goddess has a vegan pumpkin pie recipe that I'm going to try this week, and looks amazing!

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/10/vegan-pumpkin-pie-worthy-of.html

Also, NYT is running an interactive feature on vegetarian Thanksgiving dishes. Not all are vegan or gluten-free, but some are and I've pulled some great ideas for our Thanksgiving dinner.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/08/health/20101108_thanksgiving.html?scp=2&sq=Vegetarian%20thanksgiving&st=cse

We like to do baked apples stuffed with brown sugar and maple syrup.

The sorbet sounds delish!

Another thought -- 1 C silken tofu and 1 C melted chocolate (I think you can find some marked vegan/dairy free) in the food processor. Add powdered sugar to taste. Yummmmy! We use this for icing on cakes, but it's also a great "pudding."

I like this one because it's easy to make, and they're yummy: http://www.marthastewart.com/article/filled-strawberries. We use Tofutti cream cheese. You can also dip the bottoms in chocolate.

http://www.tofutti.com/btcc.shtml

Unfortunately, it's not a autumn-ish dessert.

ETA

FWIW, I'm not sure if Tofutti sour cream is okay: http://www.tofutti.com/dyk-faq.shtml

Edited by helena

We eat dairy, gluten and egg free. I have no problem doing a Thanksgiving dinner.

Mashed potatoes using chicken stock instead of milk and olive oil instead of butter.

Crock pot sweet potatoes using shortening or coconut oil instead of butter.

a green veggie

corn

fruit salad

You can probably easily buy GF/ dairy free rolls and stuffing too.

Choc chip cookies:

cream together:

1/2 c. shortening (from health food store)

3/4 c. peanut butter

1 egg substitute (I use flax seed and water)

1/2 c. sugar

1/2 c. brown sugar

"milk" to get the right consistency (I use coconut)

Add:

1 c. rice flour

1/4 c. tapioca flour

1/2 t. baking soda

1/2t. baking powder

3/4 c. choc. chips (they do make these vegan)

1/4 c. dried cranberries