Menu

looking for like minded...

Are there any other divorced, working full time, Christian moms who are also successfully home schooling? I have the support of my pastor and his wife who I consider dear friends...but also am criticized for not placing my son in public school by others in my church. Although that is not new...as a married , home schooling mom of four I remember being criticized for everything from what I wore (regular clothing, I thought) to what I ate ( regular food, I thought) So the criticism isn't new, just that I am weary and have no resources ( Well obviously I serve an awesome God!) My concerns are new however, as my son is doing so much of this on his own. No one has come alongside us to encourage and support and that is a disappointment. I struggle to support us and to also provide books and time and encouragement to my DS who I feel is valiant in his studies. At 13 I think it may be too much for him to do on his own, but he is doing a good job. Also, I am not aware of any other alternatives available to us. Suggestions? Encouragement? Genuine correction welcome, but trite, snotty comments, please, no thank you. I feel we are just barely surviving currently, but long to thrive.

Well, I'm not divorced, but I am a single working mom. If anyone is criticizing me, they don't have the nerve to do it to my face! :001_smile:

It's not easy. I got up at 4:30 this morning to write a paper, went to class, then to work, now I'm home and just exhausted. The kids did independent work today, but I was not up to doing anything else tonight. Not easy, but doable.

Just take it one day at a time. I let them do as much as they can independently and then we do the rest in the evening. They also do chores while I'm gone. When I get home, we do a couple hours of work, dinner, and then just hang out until bedtime. You just have to figure out what works for your particular situation.

Sometimes I feel like the only one out here - I don't know any other single moms homeschooling (there are a few on this forum). As far as the people giving you a hard time, I would tell them MYOB but you might search "bean dip" here on the forum and get some ideas for nicer ways to put that. :D

I'm not divorced, I don't work (unless you count being a hsing Mom ;) ).

All the same, :grouphug: I'll happily support you with my prayers and if you ever want to vent, I'm here to listen... or read :p

ETA, as long as you keep up on checking his work and he knows he can turn to you for help then I would not worry overly much. I think things go bad when you don't get to keep up with what he's doing. If, for instance, he mislearned a concept (if you know what I mean), but you don't find out until a few weeks later, that can hurt.

Thank you with all of my heart! I just looked up "Bean Dip"...and wish I had read this earlier in my life :) Just to let you know....ALL moms work (only a few are paid) Your encouragement is appreciated. It has occurred to me the friend sharing the criticism that others have made is not a very good friend after all. Sigh.

Thank you with all of my heart! I just looked up "Bean Dip"...and wish I had read this earlier in my life :) Just to let you know....ALL moms work (only a few are paid) Your encouragement is appreciated. It has occurred to me the friend sharing the criticism that others have made is not a very good friend after all. Sigh.

It's hard to say. Sometimes our good intentions can make us seem like monsters. She could have meant well, she could have even thought you wanted "permission" to put him in school. But then, with some people... you're darned if you do and darned if you don't. It's not *you* it's them.

I'm looking down the barrel at high school and ... I almost wish someone would tell me that. The more I research it though, the more confident I feel. We can do this!

You will love highschool!! Both of my older DD26 and DS28 completed highschool at home, and both were accepted into very good schools. My son to Westpoint and my daughter to USC, SC. And Westpoint persued my son...so take it and run :) I put together my own curr (because I didn't know any better) and they also took some classes with our homeschool coop. If you ever want to talk or just want encouragement...I'll be happy to remind you what a wonderful gift you are giving your children.