Menu

Paperwork vent

I have to make sure all of the emergency forms are filled out correctly for my Girl Scout Troop. More than half of the families completely skipped the medical information section, which is required, and one parent wrote in her home phone number over and over in the emergency contact blank. She and her husband both work outside the home, and there are no older siblings to answer the phone if we need to contact her - what is she thinking?? She is not home during our troop meetings. I know she has a cell phone and so does her husband, and I assume they have work phone numbers. :confused:

I have to make sure all of the emergency forms are filled out correctly for my Girl Scout Troop. More than half of the families completely skipped the medical information section, which is required, and one parent wrote in her home phone number over and over in the emergency contact blank. She and her husband both work outside the home, and there are no older siblings to answer the phone if we need to contact her - what is she thinking?? She is not home during our troop meetings. I know she has a cell phone and so does her husband, and I assume they have work phone numbers. :confused:

This has been something I've had to chase down for Boy Scouts. I think that most people just tend to put things off.

If there is an activity that the medical forms have to be collected for (for us, one of the biggies is any camping, with a second higher level for long term camping), then make sure that it is clear that the scout will not be allowed to participate unless their medical information is turned in. Then hold the line and do in fact not allow them to participate. (Frankly, this seems to be something that families do to scouts, but would never expect to get away with when registering for a sports team.)

For the phone number, call the mom and tell her that the info she gives isn't going to go onto a public roster, but that you are concerned that if her daughter gets hurt during a scout activity that you might not be able to get ahold of the parents or someone who can get a message to them.

Even with the best precautions, things do happen. My kids were on a rock climbing trip at a crag that has been certified and a rock came loose, fell and broke the clavicle of the girl my son was talking to.

You can talk to your local council but I have known councils that will support troop leaders not allowing girls at meetings if this information isn't provided. One thing to point out is that if a girl is ill she may not be able to give the info to a leader or EMT on her own. Also-depending on the form, they may not have permission to give her so much as a band aid with out a signature. I have known leaders to refuse to let girls attend meetings and won't turn in a registration form with out all this info being completed. They check at the door on day 1 and that is that.

The flip side of course is that every leader is expected to have a copy of these forms in a binder or file that they take to every meeting/event/outing etc.

It is all just in case--but just in case happens from the extreme down to burns, cuts, bee stings, allergens, etc.

This has been something I've had to chase down for Boy Scouts. I think that most people just tend to put things off.

If there is an activity that the medical forms have to be collected for (for us, one of the biggies is any camping, with a second higher level for long term camping), then make sure that it is clear that the scout will not be allowed to participate unless their medical information is turned in. Then hold the line and do in fact not allow them to participate. (Frankly, this seems to be something that families do to scouts, but would never expect to get away with when registering for a sports team.)For the phone number, call the mom and tell her that the info she gives isn't going to go onto a public roster, but that you are concerned that if her daughter gets hurt during a scout activity that you might not be able to get ahold of the parents or someone who can get a message to them.

Even with the best precautions, things do happen. My kids were on a rock climbing trip at a crag that has been certified and a rock came loose, fell and broke the clavicle of the girl my son was talking to.

We've never had to have a physical for sports and they cost money. Not only do you have to have a physical for scouts, it has to be re-done every year and even parents have to have them if going on Boy Scout campouts that are more than the weekend. It's annoying!