Menu

Can someone explain electricity deregulation/ network marketing?

Are you talking about ones like Stream (or Ignite - I'm not sure which it's supposed to go by).

My SIL, sister and mom are involved in that one. My SIL claims to have already dropped their electric bill by $200/month and to have made about $3k off the people who have signed up under her. They swear they're legit. I don't have any desire to join because our bill rarely ever sees the $100 mark and I just don't have the time to market it to others.

Are you talking about ones like Stream (or Ignite - I'm not sure which it's supposed to go by).

My SIL, sister and mom are involved in that one. My SIL claims to have already dropped their electric bill by $200/month and to have made about $3k off the people who have signed up under her. They swear they're legit. I don't have any desire to join because our bill rarely ever sees the $100 mark and I just don't have the time to market it to others.

I'm sorry my question is confusing. I'm confused!!

Like GA and TX, PA will start allowing any company to provide electricity. Usually, we have no choice. It is a certain company based on territory. Now, tons of new companies are cropping up to provide electricity.

And...they hire current customers to market their service to others.

So, yes, FLMom, your family is doing what my friend wants to do. I just worry because she's a single Mom, barely paying the bills, and she doesn't need to get involved in something illegal/unethical etc. ;) She is asking for our opinion and wants us to attend meetings etc. to determine the legitimacy of the business. I just thought I would ask here!!

Just spoke with my friend. She was talking so fast, I couldn't keep up. She is so excited about this opportunity (It is Stream). She asked if dh and I would be associates under her. If she gets three associates and 10 customers, she's set forever. Ummm...no.

She told me that dh HAS to go to a meeting. For her. To help her out. What?!

I can't stand pyramid schemes.

p.s. I am happy my good friend can make extra money. I don't judge her opportunity. But I do HATE when I am no longer treated like a friend, but rather a potential customer. I remember one friend who sold Mary Kay. In the middle of a deep conversation, she said that I would look great in a certain color eye shadow. Did I mention that I hate pyramid schemes?

Edited by lisabees

I feel weird about it too and so I am not joining. I will say my brother and SIL are pretty frugal people who already have their retirement and their daughter's college fund handled. They are totally into this which I found interesting. It's still not something I want to do.

• 2 months later...
Guest pearlbh

Ignite/Stream is not a pyramid scheme. Since pyramid schemes are illegal, and the electric business is highly regulated, there are very strict rules for this to become something that wouldn't put up a red flag immediately. Deregulation is very real. People are very scared of change, and when they don't understand something, they immediately lash out and think it's illegal or deceptive, but change occurs and those who wait and suspect are always the ones who just don't know. The structure of business Ignite/Stream is just like Avon. Is that an illegal or illegitimate business? How about your financial planner? They are also running the same kind of structure. The world is no longer 9-5. If you are over 30, you have to start to wake up. How many people do you know who have more than one job to make ends meet? That's because they still are waiting on the dream in the sky that the 9-5 will come back. It's dead. It's long gone. Ask anyone 30 or younger -- they will tell you they don't want the albatross of such restriction. I am a business professor. I teach all around the world. I also have an executive coaching business on the side and guess what -- Yes. I signed up for Ignite not only to save money on my electric, but because the business makes sense. In this economy -- you'd be unwise not to save money on your electric, of all things.

Ignite/Stream is not a pyramid scheme. Since pyramid schemes are illegal, and the electric business is highly regulated, there are very strict rules for this to become something that wouldn't put up a red flag immediately. Deregulation is very real. People are very scared of change, and when they don't understand something, they immediately lash out and think it's illegal or deceptive, but change occurs and those who wait and suspect are always the ones who just don't know. The structure of business Ignite/Stream is just like Avon. Is that an illegal or illegitimate business? How about your financial planner? They are also running the same kind of structure. The world is no longer 9-5. If you are over 30, you have to start to wake up. How many people do you know who have more than one job to make ends meet? That's because they still are waiting on the dream in the sky that the 9-5 will come back. It's dead. It's long gone. Ask anyone 30 or younger -- they will tell you they don't want the albatross of such restriction. I am a business professor. I teach all around the world. I also have an executive coaching business on the side and guess what -- Yes. I signed up for Ignite not only to save money on my electric, but because the business makes sense. In this economy -- you'd be unwise not to save money on your electric, of all things.

I agree with not following the knee-jerk "it's a scam" response. I haven't looked into this one at all, but sold telecommunication services (long distance, phone cards, cell phone plans) for a few years and had a nice little income from it. If people were going to be paying for these services anyway, why not be the one selling it to them? (Esp. if you can save them money at the same time). I don't know about Stream/Ignite, but what I created was a residual income, not just a one-time-when-they-sign-up income. I still get a bi-monthly paycheck 10 years later (even though I haven't sold through this company for 7 or so years), because there are people we signed up still using the services.

How many people do you know who have more than one job to make ends meet? That's because they still are waiting on the dream in the sky that the 9-5 will come back. It's dead. It's long gone. Ask anyone 30 or younger -- they will tell you they don't want the albatross of such restriction.

Really, people work two jobs hoping "9-5" will come back? The people I know doing that are doing that to make ends meet....via the 7-3 and the 6-10, too.

Ask anyone younger than 30? I work with scads of people under 30 and a good part of would be unable to answer that question because they have never considered regulation or deregulation. A good part of them don't know what an albatross is, either. I'll try on Monday, and see what response I get. (I'm talking high school grads).

Okay, you sign up to post on a homeschool board, and your one and only post is this one. This is ..... odd.

• 6 months later...
Spam reported.

Why do they always resurrect the weirdest old threads?

I hadn't even noticed this was old until you mentioned it. I suspect it's been resurrected because more of PA is opening up to these companies and the last person obviously had a link (I didn't click on) to one of them. They are spam, but like most who do these, they grasp at straws hoping it will pay off.

In NY my dad signed up to be one of these salespeople (different company than those mentioned). He's always talking about it and trying to sell it to people. It turns me off considerably. I seriously don't think he's made much off of it, but I don't care to ask and get the spiel again. He'd have told me if he'd made anything significant anyway. I'll get the spiel again when more of PA opens up (so far we've been in an area that isn't yet in their target range).

If someone is gifted in sales or has a really large group of people they can get to switch, I imagine these companies would work. For most, I suspect limited income/savings. It's mainly the company that gets rich with lots of "small" salesfolks and a couple of larger ones IMO.

Is this like in Virginia when they deregulated the phone company and these smaller companies sprung up? I tried the new service- until I realized that they used all of Verizon's lines and infrastructure, and had to call Verizon to fix anything wrong with the lines. They could only repair things that had gone wrong inside the house. I felt it was unfair for Verizon to be responsible for all the lines and repairs but for another company to make the profit.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest micky_ms

Well, network marketing is very unique as it has many benefits, especially for people who are trying to make more money from home. In world of network marketing, many people are attracted to multilevel marketing because of the monetary benefits and helps in all ways.

network marketing