Menu

Singapore 3B and Angles

Karenciavo

I didn't get the HIG for this level (forgot to order then didn't want to pay shipping :001_rolleyes:) so maybe I'm missing something. I don't like the way the text alone teaches angles so I wound up teaching my son way beyond what they were calling for (I'm guessing opposing and adjacent angles are beyond :tongue_smilie:) So, anyway, do they simply want students to eye ball the angle?

Thanks,

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen 3B but we just finished angles in 4A and I think they want them to just be able to realize the full 360* of a circle concept. They want them to be able to look at an acute angle and realize it has to be between 0-90*, etc... they just want them to practice picturing this in their head, I think... which I find value in because my ds, having never used a protractor before a month ago, had some issues being able to comprehend what he was supposed to be doing... I think if he had just been prompted to think about the concept in the past, he would've had an easier time using & understanding the protractor this time around.

HTH! :)

All you have to do is use the corner of an index card. Fit it in the angle and see if it is smaller or larger. That is why they have them make a right angle by folding the paper. Partly to see that it is a fourth of a circle. But folding a paper can be a little off if not lined up. So use the corner of an index card. No need for a protractor. This is in the HIG.