Menu

Wii or Kinect????

I know the Kinect is very new, but can anyone give positives/negatives compared to the Wii? We thought we were getting a Wii for Christmas for the kids (and thanks to you all who gave me the "Buying Guide for Dummies" and helped me figure out what we needed to buy) but now this Kinect thing came out and I'm more confused than ever. Just to re-cap why we want it...... we are moving to China in a couple of months and the kids won't be able to play outside nearly as much as they do now (We live on a cul-de-sac with an acre yard and own a big acreage nearby. So currently, any free time is spent outside running around, riding bikes, or at the acreage helping Dad). We are hoping buying a game system like this will give the kids an indoor activity they can play but that will also keep them physically active. Any thoughts on which might be a better fit for us?

Thanks!

I was set on buying a Wii for Christmas for the family also, then the Kinect came out and after googling and such I have decided to get the Kinect.

My reason being is there is not any controllers to buy. Everyone can play no matter the skill level. I read this. It explains the differences and the pros and cons of the three systems, the Wii, PS3 The Move and X box 360 Kinect. After reading it really helped me decided that even though the Kinect is new, that is the right one for my family.

We have a Wii but we're considering the Kinect as well. But I'm wondering about 2 things:

1. The price is high for only a few available games.

2. I can only find a sensor which says it needs to hook up to an Xbox 360, so does that mean it's not a stand alone system? We do have an Xbox 360 but it's in my son's room and it would be difficult to move it to the living room every time we wanted to play a Kinect game.

Just as an aside: we love our Wii because they have very old Nintendo games as downloads (for original Nintendo Entertainment System though current systems and I absolutely love some of those old NES games like Adventures of LoLo) and we use it for Netflix viewing. So it was a very good purchase for us.

The Kinect is Xbox 360's take on the new use your body for movement to control the games type of control. So, yes you have to have the Xbox to run it.

Now the rate that Xbox puts out games it will be no time by the time tons of games are ready. So, imo don't base the purchase on how many games you can get now, because they are coming.

I was set on buying a Wii for Christmas for the family also, then the Kinect came out and after googling and such I have decided to get the Kinect.

My reason being is there is not any controllers to buy. Everyone can play no matter the skill level. I read this. It explains the differences and the pros and cons of the three systems, the Wii, PS3 The Move and X box 360 Kinect. After reading it really helped me decided that even though the Kinect is new, that is the right one for my family.

Thanks for the input and the link. I looked it over and am going to pass it on to my dh.

Thanks!