Menu

Knitters, noob here with a question

When it comes to knitting I am a total noob. I have knitted exactly 3 hats and 3 scarfs. I have decided I want to try to make a lap afgan to sit and watch tv with. I have found a nice easy pattern that I like but one thing I cannot understand. Why does it call for knitting on round needles instead of straight needles? Here is the link to the pattern, any help would be great. This is the one problem with teaching yourself via Youtube, you cannot ask questions.

Thanks Hive

http://craftyknitting.blogspot.com/

Is it a tube scarf of some kind? Are you knitting length wise rather than width and dealing with a TON of stitches? I knit on cicular needles all the time because I find them easier to use. When I put my project down, I'm not going to worry about dropping stitches since I just slide everything to the middle. As a new knitter, check out ravelry.com FANTASTIC site!

To think about buying yourself (or asking Santa) for a great set of circular needles with interchangeable needles and cords. Knitpicks has a set by Harmony for under $100. I know that seems like a lot, but it's so nice to have a full set of different sizes for all the things you might need.

This would be better to knit on a set of circular needs, but you aren't knitting (obviously) "in the round." It's just that when you have the flexible cord to hold all the stitches, it's much easier to work a big blanket like that.

Good luck!

When you have a large project, like an afghan, a circular can allow you to fit more stitches. You'd have to use one with a long cable, of course. But a straight can only fit so many stitches, so you'd have to do your blanket in panels and seam them together.

The other advantage to circs is that the cable carries the weight of your project, not the needles, which makes a larger project easier to manage.

Cinder

To think about buying yourself (or asking Santa) for a great set of circular needles with interchangeable needles and cords. Knitpicks has a set by Harmony for under $100. I know that seems like a lot, but it's so nice to have a full set of different sizes for all the things you might need.

:iagree: Knitpicks interchangeables are awesome!! I wish I had started knitting from the beginning with circs instead of straights. You'll get used to them in no time and wonder what you did before them!

Also check out www.knittinghelp.com

:iagree: Knitpicks interchangeables are awesome!! I wish I had started knitting from the beginning with circs instead of straights. You'll get used to them in no time and wonder what you did before them!

Also check out www.knittinghelp.com

:iagree:Very good price too and the needles are very sharp which I like. THey have three kinds, acrylic, wood and metal. The acrylic are a bit sticky, where as the metal are very slick. I liked the acrylic for lace work and the metals for projects without a lot of intricacy. The wood ones are just great all around. Knitpicks is good for a new knitter, their prices are very good.

Thanks to all of you for the help. I have joined ralvery, then spent about an hour looking around. :001_smile: I LOVE the wooden interchangable needles those are so going on my Christmas list. I now understand why I need to use the circular needles, for some reason I just could get why I was using round to make straight. I tend to make things more difficult for myself sometimes. :glare:

Thank you again, I will post a picture when ever I get it done.

I am Dakna on ravelry. I am not good about updating my projects, but if you friend me and I friend you, then I can see your projects and you can see mine. Anyone else, too. I spend a lot of time looking and yarns and patterns, but have not really used Ravelry to interact with other much. I need to get more versatile that way. There is also a WTM Ravelry "group" though I haven't actually posted on it in ages. Maybe we can get it going again.

When it comes to knitting I am a total noob. I have knitted exactly 3 hats and 3 scarfs. I have decided I want to try to make a lap afgan to sit and watch tv with. I have found a nice easy pattern that I like but one thing I cannot understand. Why does it call for knitting on round needles instead of straight needles? Here is the link to the pattern, any help would be great. This is the one problem with teaching yourself via Youtube, you cannot ask questions.

Thanks Hive

http://craftyknitting.blogspot.com/

Tammy,

That lap afghan you linked to looks really pretty!

I made 5 "lapghans" this summer using a pattern from Lion Brand's website. I think it is called 4-hour Baby Blanket. The first one took much longer but once I got the hang of it, it took about 5 hours.

You use 4 strands of Lion Brand homespun yarn held together and size 50 needles. They are huge; they look like turkey basters.

If you want to try it, let me know and I'll give you some hints that I learned.