Menu

Tell me about...

Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings. Experiences? How did you use the course?

What age did you use it with? We are planning on using it with our advanced 14 and 12 yr old sons.

Did you still use a separate history?

Ideas? Anything would be appreciated to prepare me for this.

I'm using it this year with my just turned 16yo and 13yo. We're enjoying it! Both girls are extremely familiar with the books (both LOTR and Tolkien's other writings) and fill out the summaries/vocab sections with ease. The discussion questions are well done for drawing out the depth of Tolkien's writing, and boy am I thankful for the answers, since I am not nearly as familiar with the books. :)

This is our only English course but I am doing Modern American History this year.

No preparation is necessary...at least I haven't done any! We're following the lesson plans at the beginning of the teachers manuals -- basically a chapter a day.

We give it :thumbup:

Guest TheBugsMom
I'm using it this year with my just turned 16yo and 13yo. We're enjoying it! Both girls are extremely familiar with the books (both LOTR and Tolkien's other writings) and fill out the summaries/vocab sections with ease. The discussion questions are well done for drawing out the depth of Tolkien's writing, and boy am I thankful for the answers, since I am not nearly as familiar with the books. :)

This is our only English course but I am doing Modern American History this year.

No preparation is necessary...at least I haven't done any! We're following the lesson plans at the beginning of the teachers manuals -- basically a chapter a day.

We give it :thumbup:

This is helpful. I plan on doing it next year with my ds14and my husband will be doing it with him (not the written parts, but reading and discussing).

For the OP, to answer your question about doing a separate history, I will be doing one as well.

I am using it this year with my 9th grader. LOTR is my favorite book of all time, so I am loving it. Ds is not so enthusiastic, but he's not enthusiastic about any schoolwork these days. :tongue_smilie:

It is very easy to use. There are lesson plans here. I allow ds to choose amongst the various writing suggestions weekly.

We use a separate history program.

Here are some old threads:

Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

Has anyone used Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings? (X-post)

• 2 weeks later...