Menu

Quick question

mo2

I have been searching for places in our area that do testing for dyslexia. I called our ped's office to ask if they knew of anywhere, and he wants to make an appt to see her. Is this normal? What can he do for us in an office visit? :confused:

I have been searching for places in our area that do testing for dyslexia. I called our ped's office to ask if they knew of anywhere, and he wants to make an appt to see her. Is this normal? What can he do for us in an office visit? :confused:

I would suggest calling the school- they are trained to spot it and by Federal Law they have to test.

I agree he may feel he needs to make a referal and needs to rule out illnesses, eye problems, ect.

Good Luck

Lisa

I would suggest calling the school- they are trained to spot it and by Federal Law they have to test.

Perhaps in your state/area they are trained to spot it. If you called the school here you would get nowhere. Even the interventionists are virtually ignorant about dyslexia (they admitted that to me).

Why do you want to test for dyslexia?

I'm sorry if I have missed another thread. I'm not familiar with your dd's issues.

How old is she? Has she undergone other testing? If she hasn't, depending on her issues and age other types of testing may be appropriate first.

I don't know if that's "normal" but it may be a good thing. Besides simply wanting to see his patient before making a referal, he could do some basic vision and hearing checks. He might refer your child to different places depending on what he finds. Often there's some underlying auditory or other problem contributing to the reading problems, and there may be other "dys--somethings" along with dyslexia affecting more than just reading. True dyslexia stems from neurological irregularities.

I'd ask what experience your ped has in working with children who have dyslexia. A visit with a pediatrician who is experienced with dyslexia could be a great place to start a dyslexia evaluation.

We had to go to our family practice doc to get a referral to a neuropsych for testing - I think it is normal. Your insurance may require an actual visit with the Ped to get the referral....

BTW - I think testing at the schools for dyslexia is a complete waste of time.....

Perhaps in your state/area they are trained to spot it. If you called the school here you would get nowhere. Even the interventionists are virtually ignorant about dyslexia (they admitted that to me).

I would report the school- IDEA and NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND stipulates Federally that teachers /professionals must be adequately trained to work with children with special needs or the school and even the state can loose funding. Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Audio Processing Disorders testing is mostly done by Speech Pathologists-but as a Special EducationTeacher-I had to take several classes on how to spot and work with students with those issues.

Really- I used to believe that Nebraska was not that Special Ed friendly or Homeschool Education Friendly for that matter but after listening to some of you talk --Wow-" I must have it good."

Lisa

Really- I used to believe that Nebraska was not that Special Ed friendly or Homeschool Education Friendly for that matter but after listening to some of you talk --Wow-" I must have it good."

You really do have it good - the official position of our school district is that dyslexia does not exist and there is nothing they will do for it. A child has to be completely failing in the majority of their subjects before they will qualify for any type of special ed help. So my 11 yo ds who has dyslexia, but compensates quite well and gets B's and C's gets nothing from the school. We are dual enrolled this year - we homeschool for all language arts and then he is at school for everything else.

Good Luck

Lisa

We have had testing through the school. It was less than helpful. Their assessment was that she was behind in everything language-related. When I asked specifically about dyslexia, they brushed it aside, saying that a doctor could diagnose that but it doesn't really matter. :confused: They spent more time questioning me about things like, "Does she ever get out of the house?" and "Are you sure you can handle teaching her with other little ones at home?" They said she was "too attached" to me---because she didn't want me to leave her alone in a strange place with strange people she had never met. Did I mention she was 7 years old? :glare:

Sorry, kind of went on a rant there. You are fortunate your school system is willing/able to help more.

In any case, I am going to go to the appt with the ped and see what he recommends. Thanks everyone.