Menu

Hi! We're in CLE Math 300's and 200's right now. CLE Math is awesome. You shouldn't be disappointed. About the TM's, I generally don't buy them for those levels. Later, I probably will. And, we also use Singapore as a supplement - but were having retention issues - especially in the math fact department...:glare:

I had bought the TMs for LA last year and only used them once or twice, so that's why I don't buy them.

Hmmmmm. I can't imagine NOT having the teacher's manual to teach CLE math. I use mine daily when I teach CLE to my first grader. It tells you all kinds of things like: What concepts to review (i.e. skip counting, ordinal numbers, etc.), what flash cards to review that day, what speed drill to do, how to explain certain concepts, it gives you the word problem for the day (which isn't contained in the LUs), there are usually sections where you dictate numbers for the child to write, etc. You'd be missing out on so much without it. It's not a workbook to just hand your kiddo . . . the TM guides you in teaching the concepts.

We're not going to continue with CLE Math (although I think it's a lot of fun and my son likes it) but this has gotten the math ball rolling for him (he likes workbooks too). He's shifting over to Right Start/MM like his big brother is doing.

:001_smile:

and I think they make the program more rigorous. They have oral word problems, extra thinking problems, and all the answers. They tell you different counting exercises and logic problems that are not in the light units. I don't think you can judge CLE by only looking at the LU's. I couldn't see using the program without them.

I don't think you NEED them but I have found them helpful with some ideas and making checking work something I can have one of the other kids do. When you say you're ordering 1 and 2 do you mean all the first and second grade LU? You'll find 201 is a review of grade 1 and you might not need that one.

The reason I was going to order Level 1 is because in the assessment test there were things she did not know: what congruent means, fractions w/pictures as a guide, measurements with a ruler, how to tell time on a clock. I looked at some samples of each unit and I think she may need to begin at 103. We have been using Singapore with her, but she just doesn't get it. DS on the other does fairly well with it, but it seems to jump concepts so fast and I'm concerned he will have the same issue. She was doing Singapore 2a and she just struggled when we got to triple digit addition and subtraction. We weren't even to fractions, measurements etc.

Well, unless something has changed recently, the early years of CLE have all the answer keys in the teacher book, so I would buy the teacher book and skip the answer keys.

Lisa

That is what I planned on doing. I just wanted to make sure that the TM's were worth the extra cost.:001_smile:

Hmmmmm. I can't imagine NOT having the teacher's manual to teach CLE math. I use mine daily when I teach CLE to my first grader. It tells you all kinds of things like: What concepts to review (i.e. skip counting, ordinal numbers, etc.), what flash cards to review that day, what speed drill to do, how to explain certain concepts, it gives you the word problem for the day (which isn't contained in the LUs), there are usually sections where you dictate numbers for the child to write, etc. You'd be missing out on so much without it. It's not a workbook to just hand your kiddo . . . the TM guides you in teaching the concepts.

We're not going to continue with CLE Math (although I think it's a lot of fun and my son likes it) but this has gotten the math ball rolling for him (he likes workbooks too). He's shifting over to Right Start/MM like his big brother is doing.

:001_smile:

:iagree:

CLE math 100 is indispensable. Many of the exercises cannot be completed without the TM. Plus, it gives you a lot of wonderful ideas for teaching if you don't have them yourself .

grades 2&up I would say it's optional. I wouldn't buy them if you need to save.

I think you will be impressed with CLE ! Level 100 is very basic and might not have as much mental math as Singapore , it is not abstract but very easy to teach and understand --which kids need at this stage. Level 200 and especially 300 has A LOT of mental math exercises and word problems .Even Bill - the math whiz of this forum has agreed after seeing two examples of CLE word problems. They are not as challenging as Singapore, yet very much developmentally age appropriate.

I recommend an abacus and base ten blocks to illustrate concepts , especially for a visual learner.

P.S. By the way I have CLE Math 100 TM for sale , including My calendar book for $12 ppd all :)

The reason I was going to order Level 1 is because in the assessment test there were things she did not know: what congruent means, fractions w/pictures as a guide, measurements with a ruler, how to tell time on a clock. I looked at some samples of each unit and I think she may need to begin at 103. We have been using Singapore with her, but she just doesn't get it. DS on the other does fairly well with it, but it seems to jump concepts so fast and I'm concerned he will have the same issue. She was doing Singapore 2a and she just struggled when we got to triple digit addition and subtraction. We weren't even to fractions, measurements etc.

If the test places her in 103 ONLY because of congruent and clock , measurement, PLEASE reconsider placing a 3rd grader in 100 . Look carefully at the test : if she did not miss the other concepts , give her credit for these and start at the next level. You can teach her the clock ( just buy a good teaching clock such as Judy or even CLE site sells clocks at 2 or 3$) , experiment with measurements everyday ...it's easy . Plus 200 level reviews a lot these things.

I am so happy with CLE--it's the best subject I picked this year! I have a very advanced son , he loves his CLE math and a special needs VSL --CLE is doing wonders for him too. I suppose CLE must work for any kind of learner , it depends of the way you teach it. VSL and generally right brainers NEED to see the big picture. Using a RIGHTSTART abacus and base ten blocks it's a must. You use these with any CLE exercise until you are sure your dc understands it.

I loved Rightstart for a VSL , but I hate anything scripted. Because of this , CLE w/ rightstart abacus and some ideas from them , works best , but probably CLE w/manipulatives is sufficient.

I think math is not just numbers , but learning how to think about them. Math involves critical thinking , not just doing computation . Math is also knowing how to apply it in life and is the base of advanced math for the HS & beyond.

Don't worry , CLE math is not that mental to confuse you or the child, but takes your child's hand ( and brain!) step by step to lead him to complete understanding . They review over and over until the child knows it. They know a young child needs A LOT of repetition , unlike Singapore who just assume that the child should know it after two-three pages of practice. I love Singapore too , but that is just for practice to make sure that my child got it and knows how to apply the concepts to a different kind of math, as SWB suggested . To make that work, I cross a lot of problems from CLE , the ones I am sure my son has mastered, so we do have time for Singapore too .

I think you will be impressed with CLE ! Level 100 is very basic and might not have as much mental math as Singapore , it is not abstract but very easy to teach and understand --which kids need at this stage. Level 200 and especially 300 has A LOT of mental math exercises and word problems .Even Bill - the math whiz of this forum has agreed after seeing two examples of CLE word problems. They are not as challenging as Singapore, yet very much developmentally age appropriate.

I recommend an abacus and base ten blocks to illustrate concepts , especially for a visual learner.

I didn't know all this . . . makes me hesitant to stop teaching it to my guy :D.

This is all repeated in the further LUs. I am using 2nd grade and my 2nd grade DD is doing the same things my 1st grade DS is doing. My 2nd grader is just introduced new things my 1st grader is not doing, but all in all, we are learning congruent shapes, measurement, etc. in 2nd.

I am going to purchase CLE Math for my DD (3rd grade). I assessed her and am going to order Level 1 and 2. Would you get the Teacher's Guides? I'm not math minded and explaining Singapore has been no easy task.

IMO, the teacher manual is essential for Level 100. I don't really see how you could use level 100 without the teacher book. I haven't used Level 200, so I don't know for sure. I still find it useful for Level 300. DD uses it to grade her daily drills and it saves me time when I'm grading, but I don't use it to help me teach. The LUs have the instructions and I'm comfortable enough with math to explain concepts without checking in the manual.

Get the reference charts. They are very handy. :)

If the test places her in 103 ONLY because of congruent and clock , measurement, PLEASE reconsider placing a 3rd grader in 100 . Look carefully at the test : if she did not miss the other concepts , give her credit for these and start at the next level. You can teach her the clock ( just buy a good teaching clock such as Judy or even CLE site sells clocks at 2 or 3$) , experiment with measurements everyday ...it's easy . Plus 200 level reviews a lot these things.

I am so happy with CLE--it's the best subject I picked this year! I have a very advanced son , he loves his CLE math and a special needs VSL --CLE is doing wonders for him too. I suppose CLE must work for any kind of learner , it depends of the way you teach it. VSL and generally right brainers NEED to see the big picture. Using a RIGHTSTART abacus and base ten blocks it's a must. You use these with any CLE exercise until you are sure your dc understands it.

I loved Rightstart for a VSL , but I hate anything scripted. Because of this , CLE w/ rightstart abacus and some ideas from them , works best , but probably CLE w/manipulatives is sufficient.

Yes, I do know how to use the multi-quote.:D

Another option would be to look at which LU these concepts are taught in, and purchase those-this will also give both of you a feel for how/what CLE is. (Go to their website, and you can look at s&s and then determine which LU you would need.) :)

That is what I planned on doing. I just wanted to make sure that the TM's were worth the extra cost.:001_smile:

It sounds like they may be for the 100 level at least from other people's comments. I've used CLE Math 2 and 3 with my daughter and never used the TM for anything except to check her work. I didn't notice that they were more expensive than the answer keys, but they are still pretty cheap. I'd rather have one book with all the answers than multiple answer keys, so that's the route I chose.

Lisa

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I agree that you should buy the TM for CLE Math1. The TM has all the meat. It really encourages, counting, skip counting, counting money, flash cards, and more...

It sounds like they may be for the 100 level at least from other people's comments. I've used CLE Math 2 and 3 with my daughter and never used the TM for anything except to check her work.

I never use the TMs either. But, I also tweek things a lot. Also, the instructions for the speed drills, working with the flash cards, etc - those are in a small checklist at the top of the lesson. Without the TM, you wouldn't have is the word problem of the day (but we do Singapore also) and the 5 numbers to dictate.

I guess it comes down to - are you a TM kinda person? Or do your TMs gather dust in your kitchen?

I printed the assessment samples from CLE. She scored a 45 on LU100 concepts. Thier recommendation was to start her on LU200, but when I looked at a sample of LU103 it got me a bit worried because I didn't' think she would understand how to do it. You feel that the review in 200 would be enough? She will def. need manipulatives. I was thinking of getting all of them listed for Level 2.

Thanks so much for responding:001_smile:

I would not put a 3rd grader in 100 but that's JMHO. There's a ton of review (that's CLE's strength afterall). If you really find that she is missing something you can always just touch on that yourself. In the LU you'll get one new skill and tons of review questions. I don't think it would be worth purchasing all of 100 for those few skills. The 100 level is easy enough that my 7yo does it all by herself. I really think your dd would be happier in 200. Of course you know her so your own judgement may say differently. Have you looked at the 100 samples?

I never use the TMs either. But, I also tweek things a lot. Also, the instructions for the speed drills, working with the flash cards, etc - those are in a small checklist at the top of the lesson. Without the TM, you wouldn't have is the word problem of the day (but we do Singapore also) and the 5 numbers to dictate.

I guess it comes down to - are you a TM kinda person? Or do your TMs gather dust in your kitchen?

I didn't realize there was a word problem of the day in the TM. There are a couple in each lesson and I just never noticed that. But you are right about occasionally having to dictate numbers as part of the lesson. I forgot about that.

Lisa

I would not put a 3rd grader in 100 but that's JMHO. There's a ton of review (that's CLE's strength afterall). If you really find that she is missing something you can always just touch on that yourself. In the LU you'll get one new skill and tons of review questions. I don't think it would be worth purchasing all of 100 for those few skills. The 100 level is easy enough that my 7yo does it all by herself. I really think your dd would be happier in 200. Of course you know her so your own judgement may say differently. Have you looked at the 100 samples?

I did look at samples on the CLE website. Some of the early units in 100 she could do, but some of the items she would need to be taught. If there is enough review in 200 then I def. don't have an issue skipping 100 altogether.

I think the review in 200 will be enough . You could call CLE and ask their opinion.

I did not know CLE has manipulatives. I recommend this abacus . It's the only one worth the money . :)

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Abacus,+Side-to-side,+Blue+and+Yellow/004083/1289924362-131288

Sorry, manipulatives was probably the wrong word. I was referring to the flash cards, clock, number chart etc.

I remember from your prior postings you had said your DD was a bit ahead of her peers. If she is the same in math as in spelling as I remember reading, then I would definitely not put her in 100. I purchased the 100 LUs fit my DS6 and have already set aside the first half of 1st grade because it was so easy. He is flying through the 2nd half now. There is so much review that he tends to get bored at times. My DD8, on the other hand, really struggles in math and started this year with 200. If you want the review, but don't want to start with 300, what about half way through the 200 LUs? I don't really know because I don't know your DD, but I definitely would not start with 100. It would be a waste of money since there is a TON of review. The lessons work so that they only introduce one new concept and then it is reviewed over and over and over. For a child who picks things up quickly, they may tend to get bored with CLE since it's spiral, but for a child that needs the review, it is PERFECT. I don't know where I would be right now if I hadn't found CLE for my DD8. Probably pulling every last strand of hair out of my head!:001_huh:

My DD's are in the last few lessons of CLE 110. They also recently moved forward into SM 2A, but now all the 3 number addition and subtraction has already been taught in CLE so they are moving quickly through SM. We went back to CLE 100 in January along side of SM 1B and it has really helped lay the foundation for my DD with APD. Now we are looking at moving through SM and pulling in CLE as needed. If you think she needs CLE 100 then I would start there, you can always move forward once the foundation is there. I would also recommend the TM and the flashcards.

I guess I am with the minority here. I rarely use the TM. We follow the checklist at the beginning of each lesson and do the skip counting, flash cards, and speed drill. I will dictate numbers every now and then, but he doesn't seem to need it and never gets them wrong. I agree that I would start with the 200's for a third grader. Plenty of review from CLE 1 IMO.

I remember from your prior postings you had said your DD was a bit ahead of her peers. If she is the same in math as in spelling as I remember reading, then I would definitely not put her in 100. I purchased the 100 LUs fit my DS6 and have already set aside the first half of 1st grade because it was so easy. He is flying through the 2nd half now. There is so much review that he tends to get bored at times. My DD8, on the other hand, really struggles in math and started this year with 200. If you want the review, but don't want to start with 300, what about half way through the 200 LUs? I don't really know because I don't know your DD, but I definitely would not start with 100. It would be a waste of money since there is a TON of review. The lessons work so that they only introduce one new concept and then it is reviewed over and over and over. For a child who picks things up quickly, they may tend to get bored with CLE since it's spiral, but for a child that needs the review, it is PERFECT. I don't know where I would be right now if I hadn't found CLE for my DD8. Probably pulling every last strand of hair out of my head!:001_huh:

She is def. ahead in Reading and Spelling, but not math. But that could also be because we are using Singapore. I'm convicned that we need to start with 200. I am going to be switching my son as well and will start with 100-although he may not need the beginning units.