Menu

If I am a former English teacher, do I need the TM for Paragraph Town (MCT)?

Irishmommy

I used Grammar Island this year, and didn't really need the TM for that. I see a student book fs here and was wondering if I really need the TM book for paragraph town. We really haven't done many of the writing exercises for sentence island. We do other writing exercises. Is that mainly what I'd miss not having the TM for the next level? I think I'm rambling...sorry if this is unclear...

I used Grammar Island this year, and didn't really need the TM for that. I see a student book fs here and was wondering if I really need the TM book for paragraph town. We really haven't done many of the writing exercises for sentence island. We do other writing exercises. Is that mainly what I'd miss not having the TM for the next level? I think I'm rambling...sorry if this is unclear...

Yes, you want the TM, but you only want the TM. No need for the student book. The teacher's section in PT is much more extensive than in SI. It has 20 well-defined lessons at the back, examples, punctuation and grammar exercises (that are great reinforcement). Without the lessons, it's a fun story but I think you'd really miss out on application. The lessons at the back are great but not intutively derived from the story. In fact, the second 10 lessons are to be done after you've finished reading the book (it sometimes tells you to go back and review a section).

I could see getting away without the TM in SI or even Essay Voyage (for EV the teaching and assigments are in the text itself; the teacher section is mostly tips for the teacher rather than the actual assignments) - but for PT all the assignments and the structure of the program are in the teacher section at the back of the TM.