Menu

number recognition games and ideas needed

RainbowSprinkles

While my ds can count very good, he has always had problem recognizing numbers by sight. He finally knows 0-10 without problems by sight. Now I'm trying to get him to recognize numbers 11-20 by sight. I have no idea what to do besides flashcards. But I'd like to have more of a variety of teaching him recognition. He has no problems counting, just identifying numbers by sight.

Are there any games that you know of? Websites?

I bought my children a magnetic calendar. They switch the day every day to match the month, day and weather. They love it and it has really helped my oldest learn to recognize the numbers beyond 10.

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-LER0504-Magnetic-Calendar/dp/B00000IVNF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1289863756&sr=8-1

Laura

Mom to Madeline (4) and Lily (2)

I'd be thinking multi-sensory in presentation--so say the number, see the number, write the number in salt (or pudding, fingerpaint, sandpaper, etc.)

You could have him toss a ball or beanbag at the correct number as you say it or as he says them (numbers taped to the wall or floor). Similarly, he could hop on the correct number as you call it out or hop from number to number as he says them. If you wanted to do something like that but he needed to focus on one number at a time you could use letters for the other targets.

Our math program had them build numbers (they had a 10 card and then 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.). They would build 14 on the abacus and then build it with the 10 card and the 4 card on top in the "ones" place. I think it helped my kid that doesn't just pick this stuff up. It might also help connect what he already knows by sight (10 and 1's) with his counting ability. I don't know if I'm explaining this well but it helped my son to "build" the number and helped reinforce the place value as well.

Things my 4yo does to learn numbers-

-set timer on the microwave/stove or we use one for screentime

-find the right track on a CD

-put the number of copies on the copier

-enter numbers on the telephone

-figure out who is winning the football game (dh watches lots of football)

-when my big boys both played baseball I would pick an inning when the 4yo could get the snack from the car, he would have to watch the scoreboard

-covered up the last numbers on the digital clock, so he could watch the hours go by easier, and give him tasks like "tell me when it is 4 so I can start dinner", but he is probably ready to read both parts

Once you start looking numbers are everywhere, let him help!

I bought my children a magnetic calendar. They switch the day every day to match the month, day and weather. They love it and it has really helped my oldest learn to recognize the numbers beyond 10.

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-LER0504-Magnetic-Calendar/dp/B00000IVNF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1289863756&sr=8-1

Laura

Mom to Madeline (4) and Lily (2)

Thanks! We already do calendar activities, but that doesn't seem to be helpful with number recognition.

I'd be thinking multi-sensory in presentation--so say the number, see the number, write the number in salt (or pudding, fingerpaint, sandpaper, etc.)

You could have him toss a ball or beanbag at the correct number as you say it or as he says them (numbers taped to the wall or floor). Similarly, he could hop on the correct number as you call it out or hop from number to number as he says them. If you wanted to do something like that but he needed to focus on one number at a time you could use letters for the other targets.

Our math program had them build numbers (they had a 10 card and then 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.). They would build 14 on the abacus and then build it with the 10 card and the 4 card on top in the "ones" place. I think it helped my kid that doesn't just pick this stuff up. It might also help connect what he already knows by sight (10 and 1's) with his counting ability. I don't know if I'm explaining this well but it helped my son to "build" the number and helped reinforce the place value as well.

Thanks!

Things my 4yo does to learn numbers-

-set timer on the microwave/stove or we use one for screentime

-find the right track on a CD

-put the number of copies on the copier

-enter numbers on the telephone

-figure out who is winning the football game (dh watches lots of football)

-when my big boys both played baseball I would pick an inning when the 4yo could get the snack from the car, he would have to watch the scoreboard

-covered up the last numbers on the digital clock, so he could watch the hours go by easier, and give him tasks like "tell me when it is 4 so I can start dinner", but he is probably ready to read both parts

Once you start looking numbers are everywhere, let him help!

Thanks!