Menu

How to help a friend get started...

I have a friend who is seriously considering home schooling one of her children next year. She believes her child may have Asperger's. She has indicated her desire for me to help her pick out curriculum for her (next year) ninth grader. However, this child will most likely need quite a bit of remedial work from what she told me regarding his school work in public school.

Will someone help give me some ideas for curriculum? I told my friend that what works for my children is not necessarily going to work for hers. I need some suggestions for things that have worked for those of you on this board so she can start researching what might be a good fit for her situation.

Thanks!

~Holly

Most texts will have placement tests. I would give her the Cathy Duffy book and suggest she pinpoint a few basic programs that she thinks would work well for her son, and then do their placement tests. The sooner she pulls him, the sooner he can get started.

:iagree: -- I *love* 100 Top Picks by Cathy Duffy.

Another thought: are there any curriculum stores and/or used curriculum sales in your area? She could get a "hands-on" with any that she's interested in...

I think it's a mistake for her to think all the problems are going to be solved with curriculum choices. If this child is in 8th grade and has unidentified aspergers, what else is going on? The dc could need OT, VT, or any number of other things. That's fine to give a math placement test, but what I'd really do is head to a neuropsych and get a full evaluation so you can ALL that is going on. If she leaves the dc in school this year, thinking she'll fix him next year, she's wasting valuable time. A lot can change in 9 months if she gets evaluated and starts therapies now. Then the dc can be in a better position to do school work come next fall. Why wait and have all that flux occur doing the important time where high school records are being kept? She should seriously start about evaluating and working on things now. Nuts, she doesn't even have to pull him out of school to do that. She just needs to get the appointment and get started with a proper evaluation.

I think it's a mistake for her to think all the problems are going to be solved with curriculum choices. If this child is in 8th grade and has unidentified aspergers, what else is going on? The dc could need OT, VT, or any number of other things. That's fine to give a math placement test, but what I'd really do is head to a neuropsych and get a full evaluation so you can ALL that is going on. If she leaves the dc in school this year, thinking she'll fix him next year, she's wasting valuable time. A lot can change in 9 months if she gets evaluated and starts therapies now. Then the dc can be in a better position to do school work come next fall. Why wait and have all that flux occur doing the important time where high school records are being kept? She should seriously start about evaluating and working on things now. Nuts, she doesn't even have to pull him out of school to do that. She just needs to get the appointment and get started with a proper evaluation.

Well, you are assuming that she believes curriculum will solve the problem. I never said that. She is having him tested...she is doing everything she can right now with the help of doctors and their guidance. I appreciate your zest for not wanting her to waste any time...but, she is doing what she can right now. I'm going to do my best to help her when she asks...so, I'll keep in mind the things you have mentioned.

Thanks for your thoughts!

~Holly

She is having him tested...she is doing everything she can right now with the help of doctors and their guidance. I appreciate your zest for not wanting her to waste any time...but, she is doing what she can right now. I'm going to do my best to help her when she asks...so, I'll keep in mind the things you have mentioned.

Thanks for your thoughts!

~Holly

That's awesome!