Menu

Interesting blog on the future of printed books

That is an interesting read. The author made some interesting points.

I love my books. I love to hold them and nap with one resting on my chest. I love the tactile experience.

I love the portability of an e-reader.

There is room for both in my world.

All it would take is an EMP or a solar flare to take out our Electronic Comfort Zone. Then, whatever isn't written down isn't accessible. I just bought a whole set (used) of encyclopedias from the library. (and lots are available free locally)

I just don't trust everything to disk, hard drive, whatever. I will never throw out my recipe books, no matter how easy it is to save and look up things online. I hope this period of history doesn't end up in a black hole due to our failure to archive.

My boys will be reading Farenheit 451 where they burn books. I told my boys what scares me about all this technology is that books won't be burned, they will just disappear. And what if something happens to the technology??? A massive virus makes them all disappear?? Then what reappears isn't EXACTLy like the original ( Bibles...) It seems like it would be so easy to change something digitally.

My name is Christine and I am a bookaholic...a REAL book bookaholic.

Christine

My boys will be reading Farenheit 451 where they burn books. I told my boys what scares me about all this technology is that books won't be burned, they will just disappear. And what if something happens to the technology??? A massive virus makes them all disappear??

This concerns me as well. Somebody could access Amazon (or Barnes and Noble for the Nook, I'm assuming) and wipe out everybody's book purchases. I know some people store their books elsewhere as well, and that's good, but the fact that it's even possible is pretty scary.

I don't know, I kind of found myself responding over and over to quotes like this: With the iPad we finally have a platform for consuming rich-content in digital form with, "SO??" Technology is great and I use it for many, many things. Reading at length (if I have a choice about it) just isn't one of them and probably won't be. Just because we *can* doesn't mean I care to. :)

I don't ever want to live in a house without bookshelves lined with books, even if they do get cluttered. It sure is cozier than a house with an iPad sitting on a table. LOL ;) But I don't think printed books will ever go away so I'm not that worried.