Menu

Math HELP please!?!?!?

mymonkeybug

Parents-

Please if you don't mind assisting me, I need help with math and my children. We homeschool and we have a 3rd grader who is fairly advanced and a 6th grader who is struggling greatly in Math. I don't use any specific curriculum now, simply print off worksheets from different sites now and use manipulatives to work on those sheets.

Could I possibly get some advice and suggestions on what math programs and/or curriculums you enjoy and why for homeschooling?

Much appreciated in MD-

Heather

I really like Math Mammoth. It's similar in method to Singapore, but the teaching is in the student text. Very easy to teach. It also happens to be inexpensive and is available as a PDF. it lists games, websites, and worksheets to help reinforce things. There are several sample pages available on the site. I use the light blue series (which is the entire math curriculum for one grade level). You could print out the samples for the grades you need and try them out. It goes through 6th grade math, but if your 6th grader is struggling, he may need to go back to a lower level. I think there are placement tests on the site.

MEP is free online and is an excellent one too, but imho MM is easier to implement.

:iagree:

I would suggest downloading the free samples of Math Mammoth for both your dc and letting them try those first. MM is really good value-for-money and will prepare your 6th grader for Algebra-1.

If you decide to go with MM, you can add in MEP worksheets for your advanced 3rd grader as additional challenge.

Search for both these programs on this forum and you will find more posts that you can read :-)

HTH

I have used Math U See, Abeka Arithmetic, Horizons and Math Mammoth. You might need two different programs to meet the individual needs of your kids.

The good thing about Math Mammoth is that you can buy small units of things that your struggling student needs help with (for example, I started out with Math Mammoth by buying just one unit on telling time). There are also tests that you can take and then the author will actually tell you what you need to work on with your student.

I really like the way Abeka teaches things in the curriculum guide and my daughter really likes the workbook pages. The spiral format (constant review) is a good thing for her also. She struggles a little bit with Math Mammoth if I follow the program without adding in my own review.

Math U See just didn't work for her, but I do think it is a good program.

I wouldn't recommend Horizons. There isn't really any direction on how to teach things. The work is advanced... the workbook is similar to Abeka.

Teaching Textbooks is also a program that is recommended for children who struggle.

Here is a good thread: Does TT Help a Child Understand Math?

The thing that helped my daughter most in math was a book by Jerome Rosner, Helping Children Overcome Learning Difficulties. She needed remedial work in Visual Perception.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

All my children, ages 14, 8 and 6 LOVE Math-U-See! I love teaching it as well.

My kids both hated math until we started using MUS. Math isn't suddenly loved, but they both like it because they understand it now. They feel challenged (we move at their pace) and successful. It has been a winner here.

It completely depends on how your kids learn and what their needs are but math really builds on itself so you need a solid program.

I prefer Singapore math and MUS but truly, you should read TWTM and Cathy Duffy's top 100 picks and decided which program fits your family the best.

MM is the shiny new toy on the boards at the moment, and while it is a great program it may or may not work for you. The best program is the one that makes sense to you and your kids and there is no way we can make informed recommendations without a lot more information.

I was just going to say something similar to this. I would highly recommend that you find out what kind of a learner your children are. I feel that once you understand how a child learns, picking a math program won't be so difficult. Remember, people here are going to tell you what works for them. I know that I have one son who is more of a hands on learner. More hands on math works for him. I think that Cathy Duffy's top 100 picks is a great place and Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling by Debra Bell is great.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

It completely depends on how your kids learn and what their needs are but math really builds on itself so you need a solid program.

I prefer Singapore math and MUS but truly, you should read TWTM and Cathy Duffy's top 100 picks and decided which program fits your family the best.

MM is the shiny new toy on the boards at the moment, and while it is a great program it may or may not work for you. The best program is the one that makes sense to you and your kids and there is no way we can make informed recommendations without a lot more information.

:iagree:Especially the bolded section, once they know add/sub and clock/ calendar time and they are working toward mastering their multiplication tables, it is really helpful to find and stick with a product. (Unless of course you are math savy and are writing your own curriculum.)

OTOH, if you are using online resources for financial reasons, MEP is free. Also, do a search on this board for the free curriculum thread. You can search www.eric.ed.gov and perhaps find a free workbook.

HTH-

Mandy